Sault / Searchmont / Halfway Haven

Dan-Senior

For sure 02Sled.  There are 3 bridges in-a-row to get across the forks in the river and they all look pretty rough.  Here's a photo of bridge #2.  (Bridge #3 is in the background).

post-22452-0-94643800-1451396413_thumb.jpg

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't get me across that :-o

Wouldn't get me across that :-o

Me either! This is another one I wouldn't be on. I don't care how scenic it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Lc-UIeQc4

Me either! This is another one I wouldn't be on. I don't care how scenic it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Lc-UIeQc4

Come on that bridge is more than capable

Come on that bridge is more than capable

Maybe more than capable but still not that comfortable going across it. Notice the guys that made the video walked it first and made a comment about what's the worst thing that could happen... breaking and going through. Psychological but add a railing / barrier to the side might add a sense of comfort.

Maybe more than capable but still not that comfortable going across it. Notice the guys that made the video walked it first and made a comment about what's the worst thing that could happen... breaking and going through. Psychological but add a railing / barrier to the side might add a sense of comfort.

I was on that bridge before with Jeff. Just outside the Algonqiun park boundary... If heights arent your thing then yeah stay off. Its a very solid bridge. Walked it checking for loose ties... Not sure if that was me with him that time or not? He always has his Gopro going LOL...

I was on that bridge before with Jeff. Just outside the Algonqiun park boundary... If heights arent your thing then yeah stay off. Its a very solid bridge. Walked it checking for loose ties... Not sure if that was me with him that time or not? He always has his Gopro going LOL...

I can handle heights but for some reason I need at least a small barrier between me and the fall. Doesn't need to be much. I stood at the edge of a 300 ft drop into the water in Antigua. There was a knee high wall between you and the fall. I was fine with that and stood taking pictures down over the edge. Take away that tiny wall that wouldn't stop me falling and my comfort zone would have been gone.

As long as there is some sense of security like a tie off even. I have always wanted to do the Edge Walk on the CN tower. The harness would be all I need.

A photo of my driveway and street.  Snow has finally arrived in the City Centre of the Sault.  For the past month, its only been north of the city in higher elevations off of Lake Superior.

post-22452-0-85299000-1451481239_thumb.jpg

North of Sault Ste. Marie - For New Years Day

From Environment Canada

"Isolated snow squalls are expected to develop this afternoon and continue through Friday morning. Under the snow squall bands, visibilities will be significantly reduced due to the heavy snow. The snow squalls will be shifting over the areas during the event. Local snowfall accumulations up to 25 cm are possible by Friday evening.

Looking forward to more bush riding tomorrow and Saturday with camera in-hand.  Hope to get some wildlife photos this time around.  This season's visual count:  0 moose, 1 deer, 2 wolves, 0 lynx, 0 Bobcats.

was snowing on and off, from soo to wawa last night, on the way up 17 Dan. the snow belt areas are set up funny this year, lots of snow in some areas, a couple of kms later, thin to no snow. we did see a wolf sitting over a road kill moose, and two live moose on the way up last night though. ;)

Love your pics, vids, and updates. maybe we will get out in dub this weekend, and I can return the favor. be safe, have fun... remember... BUMPS ARE STUMPS, (ROCKS, SHED ANTLERS) :D ect...

Ski

Thanks for the update Ski. Hoping you get some sledding in at Dubruelville.

Has anyone on this forum sledded the Whitman or Domtar yet this season? Any updates on snowdepth?

Dan

Us on the Domtar today.  56 kms north of Searchmont Ontario.  A nice day to be out for a sled ride.

post-22452-0-29427200-1451765283_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good turnout.

Sault Trailblazers ride on the Domtar.  56 kms north of Searchmont, Ontario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__EO22afkYM

Sault Trailblazers ride on the Domtar.  56 kms north of Searchmont, Ontario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__EO22afkYM

Lucky guys.  That's awesome

Blake G and Extreme600,  

Conditions are borderline rideable in the Sault Ste. Marie region.  Not much snow here either.  Hopefully everyone across Ontario gets more soon.

Logging roads are the saviour for now.

Dan

I updated the Sault Trailblazers Website this morning to include this important notice about Halfway Haven and wanted to post it here as well.

==========================================================================

If you plan on venturing to Halfway Haven this winter, please call and give a heads up that you are coming.  (705) 812-1671.   
==========================================================================

post-22452-0-25692700-1452095367_thumb.jpg

Good information.  Thanks for posting.

that bridge is NOT ON AN OFSC trail. it is a seasonal logging road. Ski

We are trailering to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek Outfitters in the morning and sledding the Kindiogami.  

Rumour has it that the 1st sled made it through from Elliot Lake to Black Creek today.

Will provide a report upon our return.

We are trailering to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek Outfitters in the morning and sledding the Kindiogami.  

Rumour has it that the 1st sled made it through from Elliot Lake to Black Creek today.

Will provide a report upon our return.

I'll be following this.... Please post some picks.

The F trail north was packe with a drag north for 25 kms. and with the soucy trac with no drag the rest of the way to hwy546. it took 4 guys 5 hrs to cut the trees from Flack lake to Hwy546. 3 guys cutting and 1 moving just enough to get the quads by the trees It took 8 hrs for the groomer to push the trees off the trail. The section from the boland river logging road to the hwy crossing on 639 by Laurentian lodge was not done too much running water in this section. It' not going to be a nice ride from hwy. 546 to the logging road north of Ompa lake. At least the trees are gone.

Wonderful. Thanks for all that work and for taking the time to post the update! Speaking of Laurentian Lodge......any chance they will be open in the winter ever again?? Absolutely awesome place......we had great times there.

Well, here we are. 18" of snow at Black Creek Outfitters. We are blown away. It snowed all night last night. Sledding Heaven today.

Archived