Rhino's in Bewdley Burnt

Bigfish

I haven't confirmed it as yet, but a neighbour just let me know that the popular destination Rhinos in Bewdley burnt to the ground last night!

Looks more like gutted.

Looks more like gutted.

Your right it looks gutted as opposed to burnt to the ground.

New owner there this year, hope he rebuilds!

About the only reason to go to Bewdley.

Great local area for wings and burgers when out for a day trip. Sad to see it's probably gone for good.

Great local area for wings and burgers when out for a day trip. Sad to see it's probably gone for good.

http://www.chextv.com/2015/09/28/rhinosroadhousefire/

Sounds like they'll rebuild.

Hopefully not. We talked to the new owner a few times and he had some big plans for that place ...

Its like a little gold mine in the summer and winter months.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2015/09/28/rhinos-fire-damage-in-bewdley-could-reach-1-million?utm_source=addThis&utm_medium=addthis_button_facebook&utm_campaign=Rhino%27s+fire+damage+in+Bewdley+could+reach+%241-M+%7C+Northumberland+Today#.Vgny_9jMSgs.facebook

BEWDLEY - A popular eating establishment was heavily damaged by fire early Monday morning.

Hamilton Township’s three fire stations (Baltimore, Bewdley and Harwood) were called out at about 5 a.m. to a structure fire at Rhino’s Roadhouse in downtown Bewdley overlooking Rice Lake.

Fire Chief Kelly Serson said that when crews arrived flames were coming from the bottom area near the front door of the building.

Initial crews extinguished the flames they could see but the fire was well advanced, making its way through the walls of the structure built in 1870.

“We were notified potentially there was a missing occupant in one of the apartments so put crews in immediately for primary search,” Serson said.

Nothing was found and it was later determined the person had been accounted for.

Port Hope Fire Department was called for a platform truck to access the roof area.

Cobourg Fire Department and Alnwick / Haldimand Fire Departments were also called to the fire.

“It was extremely stubborn because the fire was in walls and ceiling,” Serson said.

“I suspect it had been burning for some time.

“The front stairwell to the second storey is completely gone.”

One apartment on the second floor was occupied.

A woman living in the apartment, who asked not to be identified, said her teenage daughter woke her up and said black smoke was coming from the ceiling vents.

“Within 10 seconds I unlocked the door and couldn’t see down the hallway,” the woman said. “I got one of the dogs out but couldn’t make it back in for the other.”

Two hunters put their jacket over their faces and ran to save her dog, which was hiding underneath the table.

The woman said she has no insurance on the contents of her apartment.

A total of 26 full- and part-time employees work at the popular restaurant.

Dave Austin, who formerly owned Stanley’s Fish and Chips in Cobourg, purchased Rhino’s Roadhouse on Feb. 13.

Watching firefighters working to save the building and business he said he is “devastated.”

Relieved that no one was injured, Austin said his thoughts are with the employees.

As employees heard of the fire they huddled together, some holding back tears as they watched the firefighters.

“It’s like my heart got sucked out through my nose,” said Tracey Kidd, who has worked at the restaurant for 19 years.

Her son was only a year old when she started at the business, and he's now employed by Rhino’s, too.

Kim Darnbrough has worked at Rhino’s Roadhouse for 10 years and, like others, she’s stunned by the loss.

“It’s devastating; because of what we do, we live day to day.”

Damage could reach upwards of $1 million. The Ontario Fire Marshal arrived at the scene within hours of the fire to investigate the cause.

pete.fisher@sunmedia.ca

twitter.com/NT_pfisher

I million Is nothing today! People will sue for that if they slip on your side walk or driveway. Hopefully they are properly insured.

Hopefully not. We talked to the new owner a few times and he had some big plans for that place ...

Its like a little gold mine in the summer and winter months.

Wow... just wow... I didn't put two and two together and didn't read the post clearly. I have been traveling on business this week and last. The new owner is a friend of mine. I go fishing with his dad, him and his son often. I knew he had bought a new place in Bewdley just this past year but never made the connection until I was talking to his dad earlier today. Today he finds out from the structural engineers if he can restore the existing building or not. He is very well insured and fully intends to rebuild and reopen. He expects that it's a 10 month or slightly more rebuild. One of his key concerns is for the staff and their ability to earn a living. Apparently he has insurance to help cover their lost wages as well.

There were a couple of apartments upstairs where a couple of women lived. One of his big concerns is for their well being as well.

Apparently the cause of the fire has been determined to have been a discarded cigarette on the front corner of the deck. I am going to call him tonight and see how he is making out.

You're right he did have big plans for the place. He has owned a number of restaurants over many years but they were all primarily in leased properties. This one he bought. The projected price tag to rebuild is staggering.

It seems the local fire department and OPP have been great. They saved the rhino and the bar itself. That portion of the building is mainly smoke damage. Not all of the building was burnt.

Glad to hear the update. Maybe you can negotiate a OC members discount LOL

When I was on dayshift it was a nice run from the PPSC clubhouse for dinner and back. Did it sometimes during the day when I was on nights, but made for a rushed ride. Load the sled in the truck @ the clubhouse, get out of your gear & head to work.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend David (the owner) tells me the insurance company is rebuilding and they are motivated to get it done quickly. He is hoping to have the main floor open this winter and be substantially back in business during the sled season. There were two apartments upstairs which will not be restored but will become part of the restaurant as well as a new upper deck for summer dining.

My friend David (the owner) tells me the insurance company is rebuilding and they are motivated to get it done quickly. He is hoping to have the main floor open this winter and be substantially back in business during the sled season. There were two apartments upstairs which will not be restored but will become part of the restaurant as well as a new upper deck for summer dining.

I was talking to the crew who are doing the work, and that's pretty much what they said.

Hoping to be open for January!!

• 1 month later...

you can always go to the old railroad stop in hiawatha

good food

lake access

cheap fuel

its on the borth shore and is usually staked by the rice lake sno drifters

The owner of Rhinos and his family are friends of mine. I was talking to him yesterday. The insurance company is making good progress on the rebuild and he hopes to have enough finished to be open for business middle of January with the main room, kitchen and washrooms done. He is trying to get open as soon as possible to be able to get his staff back to work. They were going over the interior finishing décor with the contractor a week ago so they are getting close to the interior finish.

good to hear, like my brekky stop there when i do my lindsay, bethany bewdly apsley fenlon falls home loop

Good to hear the ins' co' is co-operating. Sometimes (BTDT) they can really drag their feet.

Good to hear the ins' co' is co-operating. Sometimes (BTDT) they can really drag their feet.

when you have business loss coverage they are motivated to get you back in business and stop paying you for that asap

you can always go to the old railroad stop in hiawatha

good food

lake access

cheap fuel

its on the borth shore and is usually staked by the rice lake sno drifters

Thanks for posting - good to know!

http://www.ruralroutes.com/7579.html

Restaurant reviews look good:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g642243-d6407281-Reviews-Old_Railroad_Stop_Hiawatha-Keene_Otonabee_South_Monaghan_Ontario.html

Good price for gas as well.

Welcome to the forum,,,, wrecker. fixed

Welcome to the forum wrecker.

Who's a forum wrecker???  Oh, you missed a comma!  :oops:  :rotflmao:

Welcome wrecker!

I've eaten @ the restaurant and it's fine  :right_on:

The place next door to Rhinos serves ok food also and is licensed . Their breakfast is good I know , haven't had supper there so can't really comment on that.

Archived