OFSC convention

Bearcat_w

So who's at the convention? I'm here, Barkbiter too. We should set up a meeting somewhere over the weekend.

So who's at the convention? I'm here, Barkbiter too. We should set up a meeting somewhere over the weekend.

what a great team representing the barrie sno-voyageurs,the calm & the storm...lol...tell lousia hello...thx to you guys for dedicating all the time & effort you put in yr around...

I'm here.  I think you have my cell #.  Text me.

Thought the convention went well. Sadly all of the real debate took place on Friday which was missed by many. My big observation is how much mistrust there is between clubs within districts or clubs towards districts. Everyone was quick to point blame at the "OFSC" in Barrie yet from talking in greater detail many more issues exist within

Thought the convention went well. Sadly all of the real debate took place on Friday which was missed by many. My big observation is how much mistrust there is between clubs within districts or clubs towards districts. Everyone was quick to point blame at the "OFSC" in Barrie yet from talking in greater detail many more issues exist within

The mistrust is between the clubs and OFSC. 

There was not any club member at the AGM who does not support a higher permit price and more trail enforcement. The OFSC STAFF wants no part of this. So much for the OFSC being a bottom up origination. Its a total TOP down from the staff.

There was not any club member at the AGM who does not support a higher permit price and more trail enforcement. The OFSC STAFF wants no part of this. So much for the OFSC being a bottom up origination. Its a total TOP down from the staff.

Where does your governor stand on this?

Nope.

OK DG69. FFC passed two years ago, MOTS just passed with a large majority of support. And you,lack of trust? I would differ and say exactly opposite. Please correct me. | don't think we met at AGM or heard your opinion put forward. The membership strongly backed what the Governors were doing. If you had of been there, in case your weren't,price increase was discussed as was trail patrol at length with a full rational given. And honestly we have bigger issues than a price increase or trail patrol.

TP is a very hard issue to deal with.

Enforcement has to come in the form of a law from the province and cooperation for local law enforcement (we all know how well these two work) 

I doubt we will every see the ability of TP to law a charge of any kind, past what TP already has.

In some areas no permits are a big issue in others almost nill. 

I know I kept stats for over 5 yrs for TP and or compliance rate was 95%+

Were I am we are lucky because most of or law enforcement are also sledders.

I have not seen one of them lay a trespass charge, they usually opt for the no permit, way more $$ than trespass.

OK DG69. FFC passed two years ago, MOTS just passed with a large majority of support. And you,lack of trust? I would differ and say exactly opposite. Please correct me. | don't think we met at AGM or heard your opinion put forward. The membership strongly backed what the Governors were doing. If you had of been there, in case your weren't,price increase was discussed as was trail patrol at length with a full rational given. And honestly we have bigger issues than a price increase or trail patrol.

Faceman,

Yes I was there as well and kept an open mind as much as possible at it and yes I was surprised and ended up voting in favour of mots as before I was kinda against it. But they made some changes at the end which helped make my decision. It now gives us the year to see and implement the program and recommend changes to it at next agm.

As for Price and T.P not a big issue is where I do have a problem with as well as a lot of other people had a problem with. I do believe that a 10$ increase is needed but no more than that. An T.P IMO is a big issue as since S.T.O.P program is dwindling in numbers and not getting any new appointees or re-appointing active ones, and the O.P.P is hardley out on patrol except the S.A.V.E team which does travel around the province and don't seem to be that active in enforcing the permits/trespassing nor is the O.P.P helping O.F.S.C at all by wanting to take control of everything leaving very little for any remaining S.T.O.P officers or T.P to handle. This Wal-mart greeter approach that they are wanting to implement is good to an extent but there HAS to be an equal amount of enforecement! If not then the freeloaders are just going to start growing and growing as there is not much to stop them as well the province needs to get off their a$$ and up the fines to at least over the permit price so that it is a detterent.

As well there really needs to be an update to the vests as they aren't really that visible as they should be. They need to be the high visibility yellow 5 point tearaway as which is required by MTO now. The orange is not that visible an therefore less safe for our volunteers!

An the O.F.S.C BOG did not seem that enthusiastic in wanting to make any effort in making some of those changes nor making more of a stand against the O.P.P in making a more better relationship/partnership which is badley needed! Especially with ORS as well as its really hard for ORS responders to know of any accidents unless by word of mouth or on media. There is no reason why O.P.P can't inform O.F.S.C of accidents on THEIR trails and give at least the location of the accident. I understand the need for privacy/ivestigation process as to not give out information pretaining to an investigation but at least informing the club of an accident and location is not against anyones privacy nor hinder any investigation! As such nothing will get done to better this situation as the squeeky wheel gets the grease as the O.F.S.C imo is not wanting to make any noise to the powers at be.

Just my long two cents on that.

Going to add my three cents worth to the discussion on Trail Patrol:

1. The O.P.P. do not have the funding to patrol the trails the way we'd like them to. Much of their funding comes from city/ municipality/district police services boards, who don't have a clue and could really care less.

2. Speaking from ten years of Trail Patrol experience, I think "enforcement" should come from the bottom up.....why on earth, if you are a loyal and regular permit buyer would you agree to ride with someone who doesn't want to contribute? It's not very often I actually see a single non-compliant rider, riding solo...and if I do, he's seen me and bolts. Personally, I think some clubs could do better in educating their "members" and public about the requirements. (Does anyone remember the "FREELOADER" campaign from a few years ago?)

3. Some S.T.O.P officers are wanna-bes who quickly expand their mandate beyond permit enforcement, in ways that are a real detriment the clubs.

Hey SG. We have set up policy with the 3 district OPP detachments and do receive notification of accidents. I would suggest you or someone from D10 try and establish similar in Parry Sound. As far as the TP, best thing that could happen is the MSVA offence of operate on OFSC trail, no OFSC permit issued should be a "owner' offence, not a "driver" offence. Then, no need to prove who was operating just that the machine was there.

Oh and BTW, enjoyed meeting you1

Thank you to those many Delegates who supported my presentation on what the Province of Ontario needs to do to help stop the increasing problem of Freeloading.

Change law to have charge go against snowmobile owner, just like ETR407, Red Light Cameras and Parking Tickets. Therefore no need to positively identify Operator like now.

Increase minimum fine to $400 or $500

Move to Quebec system where Trail Patroller gives offender 24 hours to purchase Permit. If they do then nothing else is done. If they don't then Trail Patroller fills out form with details at QPP office and they send out the ticket. If it goes to Court the at rail Patroller is paid for lost wages by FCMQ. They say system works very well and compliance is good.

Our OPP are not able to supply resources. In addition the OPP sunk the STOP program.

OMG!

It is going to be a free loading mayham this winter! Good luck getting the laws changed, hopefully sooner rather then later.

OMG!

It is going to be a free loading mayham this winter! Good luck getting the laws changed, hopefully sooner rather then later.

I totally disagree with you sorry, I think most of us that have a real passion for the sport will buy the passes, I do wish that as I've seen some gas stations and restaurant owners do, no trail pass no gas...That would be a start. There will always be some that take advantage of things and snowmobiling is no different. IMHO the price of the trail pass has a value of about 3 times more than what we actually pay for it.

Nunz

I totally disagree with you sorry, I think most of us that have a real passion for the sport will buy the passes, I do wish that as I've seen some gas stations and restaurant owners do, no trail pass

no gas...That would be a start. There will always

be some that take advantage of things and

snowmobiling is no different. IMHO the price of

the trail pass has a value of about 3 times more

than what we actually pay for it.

Nunz

There is already a problem with free loaders in southern Ontario, especially during the week. Nothing to see several sleds go by and no permits. You would be surprised how many sleds are running around with no permits mid week in D5 and D9.

i believe the problem is only going to get worse.

How many are afraid of a $110 fine?

I am told that you don't try that BS in Quebec.

When we spoke to President of Temiscaming QC Club he told me they have 14 trained Trail Patrollers who are scheduled to be on their trails 7 days a week.

They nailed a couple of guys last year, one for $2,100 and the other for $2,400.

Great cooperation with QPP.  Fill in the Incident Form at their office and ticket goes out in the mail.

Not in Ontario though.

i believe the problem is only going to get worse.

How many are afraid of a $110 fine?

I am told that you don't try that BS in Quebec.

When we spoke to President of Temiscaming QC Club he told me they have 14 trained Trail Patrollers who are scheduled to be on their trails 7 days a week.

They nailed a couple of guys last year, one for $2,100 and the other for $2,400.

Great cooperation with QPP.  Fill in the Incident Form at their office and ticket goes out in the mail.

Not in Ontario though.

maybe we could have a talk with the freeloaders at a little table with a flower like they do on the stage at convention 

maybe we could have a talk with the freeloaders at a little table with a flower like they do on the stage at convention 

That works real well :wtf:

Hey SG. We have set up policy with the 3 district OPP detachments and do receive notification of accidents. I would suggest you or someone from D10 try and establish similar in Parry Sound. As far as the TP, best thing that could happen is the MSVA offence of operate on OFSC trail, no OFSC permit issued should be a "owner' offence, not a "driver" offence. Then, no need to prove who was operating just that the machine was there.

Oh and BTW, enjoyed meeting you1

Yes FM that is great that you have that set up there. I will try to get one started here but I don't know how keen the opp are here in wanting to share info. That policy that you have with them should be province wide with no an's or buts about it. An yes definitely also needs that MSVA amendment 

Also was great to meet you as well. 

Archived