Update on Train north of Sault

Panther340

The train that leaves the Sault and goes north is still on very shakey ground, . A successful service provider won the RFP that CN and the City put out last Fall , but it is still contigent on Federal Government money that has not ben confirmed as of deadline April 1 2015.

See article attached, the Service provider that wants to do the service does mention the  need to increase baggage cars so he can increase Snowmachine tourism potential.

Of note:  Before anyone questions why Federal or Provincial Government would subsidize, ask yourself why they subsidize Go Train or Toronto Transit etc etc.......

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=88741

The train that leaves the Sault and goes north is still on very shakey ground, . A successful service provider won the RFP that CN and the City put out last Fall , but it is still contigent on Federal Government money that has not ben confirmed as of deadline April 1 2015.

See article attached, the Service provider that wants to do the service does mention the  need to increase baggage cars so he can increase Snowmachine tourism potential.

Of note:  Before anyone questions why Federal or Provincial Government would subsidize, ask yourself why they subsidize Go Train or Toronto Transit etc etc.......

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=88741

why do they subsidize GO and TTC ? because millions of people use it everyday to get to work, school and play.

I still hope the keep the Sault train too.

It's too bad about the rail service. I was hoping to take the tour but the trails from Chapleau being closed all year made it next to impossible to take the trip.

It's too bad about the rail service. I was hoping to take the tour but the trails from Chapleau being closed all year made it next to impossible to take the trip.

I guess if it loses way too much money and that is largely due to little use of the service there are some problems in justifying keeping it open. Is that keeping it running in general or just the winter months. It would be a shame to see it stop. It is on my bucket list to take the canyon ride in winter and summer.

I've done the Canyon in the Fall, and it's spectacular!  Really beautiful scenery. 

I'd like to get on the Snow Train, but never seem to quite seal the deal....

I've done the Canyon in the Fall, and it's spectacular!  Really beautiful scenery. 

I'd like to get on the Snow Train, but never seem to quite seal the deal....

I contemplated the Snow Train for this winter then February happened and all the nice people here were reporting -35 temps during the day and other wonderful enticements... cold is one thing.... brutal cold is another.

Same provider would do Canyon tour , they go hand in hand (at least according RFP scope available)

This issue also relates to closure of road access by MNR of more and more of Northern Ontario ( see posts Groomer Guy made on that)

Because many cottages along this route are having less and less ways to get there. I deally would not be permanent subsidy (2 million per year I think for next three years is all that is being asked or thereabouts...........to keep access to more than 40 townships so thousands and thousands of acres of land  

Same provider would do Canyon tour , they go hand in hand (at least according RFP scope available)

This issue also relates to closure of road access by MNR of more and more of Northern Ontario ( see posts Groomer Guy made on that)

Because many cottages along this route are having less and less ways to get there. I deally would not be permanent subsidy (2 million per year I think for next three years is all that is being asked or thereabouts...........to keep access to more than 40 townships so thousands and thousands of acres of land  

so realistically how many people are using the train per year? That is the question. Then you look at the subsidy per capita and other variables for cost / benefit analysis

I don't know all the details but currently CN runs the ACR passenger service (I am assuming at least at a break even proposition) through a 2 million dollar per year subsidy.  In return it was estimated by an accounting study conducted I think by BDO that by offering the service the ACR led to 40-50 million dollars in economic activity in the corridor.  This seems like a pretty good return on investment.  

Even just the taxes on what is spent at the rail access camps and the income taxes that the camp employees would pay would go a long way to repaying the government's investment.  

They got the funding.  Old agreement expired at midnight last night, funding was announced at 10 pm.  Cut it a little close.  Be interesting to see how the transition goes.  

Matt, you're in a good position to know, being Hornepayne is 90% rail town and 10% tourism .... train goes thru your back yard just about ... Good news for you guys, and anyone else on that stretch of track.

http://wawa-news.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22310:government-addresses-crisis-they-created-with-acr-solution-hughes&catid=122:editorials&Itemid=157

Hopefully w/ the lower dollar, they can lure the American tourists back. Mind you the passport/border crossing "issues" are a PITA.

Good news.

http://wawa-news.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22310:government-addresses-crisis-they-created-with-acr-solution-hughes&catid=122:editorials&Itemid=157

Hopefully w/ the lower dollar, they can lure the American tourists back. Mind you the passport/border crossing "issues" are a PITA.

Good news.

From my understanding, it is more the US Homeland Security that is the issue, not the Canadian Border Service.

Y

From my understanding, it is more the US Homeland Security that is the issue, not the Canadian Border Service.

You need a passport or enhanced DL to enter/re-enter the US. A smaller percentage of Americans have passports than Canadians. As a result these Americans can't leave the US.

I was reading on the Michigan Snowmobile association web site that there are over 380,000 snowmobilers in the state. That is 380,000 possible visitors to Ontario trails and the train.

And to add to another topic linking D16 trails;OFSC can offer more trails to those in Northern Michigan and a longer riding season. Any avid snowmobile in the US would see the value in having a passport so they can travel on our amazing trails.

Jerry

• 3 months later...

I heard last night on CTV from the Sault that the passenger train from the Sault to Hearst will be stopped July 15.  Apparently, there are still some irons in the fire but it didn't sound too hopeful.

Maybe someone more local can fill in any details.

I heard last night on CTV from the Sault that the passenger train from the Sault to Hearst will be stopped July 15.  Apparently, there are still some irons in the fire but it didn't sound too hopeful.

Maybe someone more local can fill in any details.

I heard one service was stopping and another company was taking it over and offering cargo space for sleds in the winter and atv's in summer. Did that not go thru?

I heard one service was stopping and another company was taking it over and offering cargo space for sleds in the winter and atv's in summer. Did that not go thru?

looks like they took the money and ran 

looks like they took the money and ran

That is sad for the area.

On a railfan page it sounds like Railmark (a company w/ a poor track record) that was selected by CN to operate the passenger trains, couldn't get financing. Apparently the canyon tour train will continue.

Archived