sledder hits tree on C103D

Blake G

sucks...

I did a google search, and saw the same press release at multiple news outlets:

Almaguin News

SPRUCEDALE – A 15-year-old girl was taken to hospital after a snowmobile collision.

On March 21 at approximately 2 p.m., the Almaguin Highlands OPP was called to a single snowmobile collision. 

The collision occurred on Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Club trail C103D in the Township of McMurrich/Monteith.

The 15-year-old female driver from Tecumseh, Ont. was travelling north when she lost control of her snowmobile and struck a tree. 

The driver was airlifted by Ornge Air Ambulance to hospital with serious injuries. Speed is believed to be a factor in the collision.

OPP will update as more information is available.

Wow... tragic... RIP. Things like this can be a sobering reminder of what can happen if you are going too fast or not paying attention....

Late season, lots of icy spots. Wondering if studs / adequate carbides were in use? Too many sleds are lacking good equipment too many times. They never disclose the technical aspects, just alcohol and/or speed. I think the technical side needs more awareness brought to it. Used to sled on the Holland River where many accidents and fatalities could have been prevented by adequate traction controls. Never gets mentioned in police reports and coroners' reports/findings are never released. Just my opinion...

RIP  So sorry to hear of both.  Condolences to the family of the gentleman who passed away.  Hopefully the young girl recovers from this.  So tragic

Late season, lots of icy spots. Wondering if studs / adequate carbides were in use? Too many sleds are lacking good equipment too many times. They never disclose the technical aspects, just alcohol and/or speed. I think the technical side needs more awareness brought to it. Used to sled on the Holland River where many accidents and fatalities could have been prevented by adequate traction controls. Never gets mentioned in police reports and coroners' reports/findings are never released. Just my opinion...

Maybe just SLOW down.

Maybe just SLOW down.

Seems that doesn't cross people's minds these days.

I also disagree with the opp saying in every report speed was a factor...no crap it was...even doing 30kmh if you hit a tree not pretty

I also disagree with the opp saying in every report speed was a factor...no crap it was...even doing 30kmh if you hit a tree not pretty

The only time speed is not a factor is when you are stopped!

what other reason is there for hitting a tree on a trail besides going too fast and not being able to stay on the trail. Just part of our nature it seems to want to know what and why. In some they will refer to alcohol being a factor.

what other reason is there for hitting a tree on a trail besides going too fast and not being able to stay on the trail. Just part of our nature it seems to want to know what and why. In some they will refer to alcohol being a factor.

Offiscer, I hit da twee bacuz twit whas der.

I was riding down the trail minding my own business when out of the middle of nowhere this tree jumped out in front of me. I couldn't swerve in time to miss it.

Exactly

I was riding down the trail minding my own business when out of the middle of nowhere this tree jumped out in front of me. I couldn't swerve in time to miss it.

one good rut can throw you off too into the bush

or maybe another sledder, or an animal....but speed or alchohol will certainly magnify any other problems

one good rut can throw you off too into the bush

A rut is less likely to throw you into the bush if you are sober and riding at a sensible speed for the prevailing conditions. Riding a sled that matches the operators experience and ability also helps. Way to many people on the trails who think they have to have the most powerful sled on the market and that they have to ride it full out all day.

A rut is less likely to throw you into the bush if you are sober and riding at a sensible speed for the prevailing conditions. Riding a sled that matches the operators experience and ability also helps. Way to many people on the trails who think they have to have the most powerful sled on the market and that they have to ride it full out all day.

I disagree with that I say a person going white knuckle will have more control then the nature gawkers but booze changes everything to no good.

Also, lets not dismiss mechanical failure. I would venture to guess that most accidents are associated with riding beyond ones ability, whether they are riding too fast for the conditions or impairment by alcohol/drugs. Other factors coming into play are accident avoidance with oncoming asshats, animal avoidance and mechanical failure. Don't know what caused this accident but speculation usually isn't productive.

I hope the rider heals quickly.

Also, lets not dismiss mechanical failure. I would venture to guess that most accidents are associated with riding beyond ones ability, whether they are riding too fast for the conditions or impairment by alcohol/drugs. Other factors coming into play are accident avoidance with oncoming asshats, animal avoidance and mechanical failure. Don't know what caused this accident but speculation usually isn't productive.

I hope the rider heals quickly.

Indeed speculation is no good

Archived