loud pipes

tireless

I was glad to see officers in moombean ont. writing a ticket to a young woman for loud pipes.

She showed up the first time on this past sunday at a check point with no insurance or license . She returned home ( she lived there) and came back( Duhh) with license, you could hear her km away on her pink and white yamaha .The officer gave her the ticket. They are having to many complaints from land owners and don't want to lose any trails.Do riders really need that extra 5hp for trail riding?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome.  I'm with you on that.  While obviously nobody likes to get dinged for anything, pipes and cans, just seem ridiculous and inexcusable to me on trail riding so happy to see that enforcement. We already lose enough trails due to other issues, being obnoxiously loud has to be the dumbest reason ever.

"Look how cool my sled sounds! "

Not that I like or liked them on a sled but I can't believe the bad raps a sled with a louder exhaust gets, When a sled is out the windows are closed in ones home the and the inhabitants are inside the home. In the summer windows open inhabitants sitting outside then teeth rattling Harley goes by straight pipes he doesn't get a noise violation ticket. I have never called or griped about a Harley but my point is why do the young kids get a ticket for their pipe on a sled and a Harley not?

Not that I like or liked them on a sled but I can't believe the bad raps a sled with a louder exhaust gets, When a sled is out the windows are closed in ones home the and the inhabitants are inside the home. In the summer windows open inhabitants sitting outside then teeth rattling Harley goes by straight pipes he doesn't get a noise violation ticket. I have never called or griped about a Harley but my point is why do the young kids get a ticket for their pipe on a sled and a Harley not?

the harleys are on the roads the sleds are on landowners property

Loud pipes rarely increase hp . They just sound like they have more hp. Personally I hate loud pipes , I find them annoying and worst of all they tic people off especially land owners. I don't understand why anyone would want them on a trail sled. I can understand tuned pipes on a race track but not on the trail

I had a pair of pipes in my TX-L 340 years back .... it was heavily modded though. It would stand up from 60 MPH on demand. Any stock 600 or less looked silly on the trail next to it!

That said it had dual pipes WITH silencers and was no louder than any stock big sled. I love dual or triple pipes but cans sound just plain stupid.

I was glad to see officers in moombean ont. writing a ticket to a young woman for loud pipes.

She showed up the first time on this past sunday at a check point with no insurance or license . She returned home ( she lived there) and came back( Duhh) with license, you could hear her km away on her pink and white yamaha .The officer gave her the ticket. They are having to many complaints from land owners and don't want to lose any trails.Do riders really need that extra 5hp for trail riding?

how sexy was the girl riding the sled?

I had a pair of pipes in my TX-L 340 years back .... it was heavily modded though. It would stand up from 60 MPH on demand. Any stock 600 or less looked silly on the trail next to it!

That said it had dual pipes WITH silencers and was no louder than any stock big sled. I love dual or triple pipes but cans sound just plain stupid.

at the radar runs a couple of years ago two guys showed up with pipes and were told that they would have to run mod they tried and were unhappy they went home and put the stock mufflers on one ran 2 mph faster the other ran 3 mph faster on the stock mufflers 

Sleds with pipes/cans/headers can be heard inside me house and I live 1.5 kms from the trail. I can't imagine how load they are for the land owner, who doesn't sled, is laying in bed hearing these going by after midnight. 

If a bike goes down the road making excessive noise, cops will give them a ticket. The difference is they are not going to close the road.

We've all been there. Stopped to take a break on the side of the trail, talking with your buddies about what trail to take next when you start to hear the irritating sound of a loud can.

Seems like 5 minutes until you finally see them, then another 5 minutes of screeching as the throttle jockey pins it at every corner after they are gone.

If sledders can't stand the noise why would the landowners and general public

at the radar runs a couple of years ago two guys showed up with pipes and were told that they would have to run mod they tried and were unhappy they went home and put the stock mufflers on one ran 2 mph faster the other ran 3 mph faster on the stock mufflers 

the nay sayers won't believe you Bill.... don't forget those monster stickers also ad 10 mph and 10 hp.

We've all been there. Stopped to take a break on the side of the trail, talking with your buddies about what trail to take next when you start to hear the irritating sound of a loud can.

Seems like 5 minutes until you finally see them, then another 5 minutes of screeching as the throttle jockey pins it at every corner after they are gone.

If sledders can't stand the noise why would the landowners and general public

Exactly... and that landowner has a choice... allow the sleds on their property and hear that irritating braap in their home or not allow the sleds on their property and not ever hear that noise again.

Don't you love it when you are sitting on a patio enjoying a meal and some yahoo (on a Harley / in a Honda Civic / in a monster 4x4)  decides that he needs to light it up in heavy traffic so he can impress everyone? Then you have to shake your head and repeat the sentence that you were in the middle of. Sleds seem to have the most piercing noise of all though. 

sometimes in the field across from my place,i hear guys with cans ripping across the field...i don't mind it abit,kinda like it...I know sick bastard...now if it was non-stop that would be a different story.trails don't need the heat,we have enuff troubles already...brapp...brapp

So, where did you get this information from?

the harleys are on the roads the sleds are on landowners property

Yes and the Harley is much louder I'll bet it is not the landowner doing the complaining snowmobilers are not looked at with the highest of regard.

I was there at the check point talking to officers , as you might know they are there a lot . the intersection of A and trail into town.

Sleds with pipes/cans/headers can be heard inside me house and I live 1.5 kms from the trail. I can't imagine how load they are for the land owner, who doesn't sled, is laying in bed hearing these going by after midnight. 

If a bike goes down the road making excessive noise, cops will give them a ticket. The difference is they are not going to close the road.

Have you seen a Harley pulled over? I haven't

My point in the loud pipe thing is if they are going to leave the straight piped motorcycles alone then quit pinching the kids with a can on their sleds. Nobody in my house has modified exhausts on their toys.

Harleys are loud from the factory and meet the manufacturing standards for motorcycles..  So are sleds.  If someone has tampered with the exhaust of a motorcycle, car, ATV or snowmobile to make it exceed the decibel level from the factory, they should be charged and the vehicle seized.  

I'd rather see people on the trails with some alcohol in them before we lose trails to people that can't see past themselves and have loader than acceptable pipes / Cans.

There is just no excuse!

Archived