OPP SAVE ISSUING TICKETS

bbakernbay

When you get pulled over in a car they run your name so why wouldn't they do it when you are pulled over on a sled.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was that up by Gelert? OPP are usually very light handed around here. Were they in a car by the road?

LIVIN'

The big difference is that on a snowmobile trail they are stopping and checking every sled in many cases although in some locations they do wave you through if they see a valid Trail Permit.

There have been many reports of a snowmobiler being subject to the same check more than once per day.

On the highway, they almost always pull a vehicle over for some perceived infraction, not to check that you actually have a Driver's Licence and Insurance and valid Vehicle Registration.

How many times have you seen them stopping every vehicle on a highway and doing a complete paper check and keep everybody in line until they finish checking the one first in line.  

The answer is never.

Why are snowmobilers subject to full Monty?

Had a meeting yesterday with a friendly OPP officer on the B103.  He was using radar and checking sleds for the proper tags.  That is 100% cool and I like seeing them out.

What isn't cool is when everything checks out but they still make you wait while they collect all your drivers licenses and then make you wait while they go back to their cruiser to check you out fishing for stuff.  That is going overboard.   

After 28 years of operating a car I have been pulled over maybe 8 times.  5 or so justified tickets and 3 RIDE spot checks.  On a sled you can meet the coppers that many times in a season and they shouldn't be running our licenses unless they have just cause.  This isn't a communist block country where "papers" can be demanded at their whim.      

Agreed a huge issue 

When you are pulled over in a car on the road they are already running your plate before they got you stopped. Have you ever had cop car pull up on your butt stay there for a minute then back off. They are running your plate. Can't do that on the trail.

The big difference is that on a snowmobile trail they are stopping and checking every sled in many cases although in some locations they do wave you through if they see a valid Trail Permit.

There have been many reports of a snowmobiler being subject to the same check more than once per day.

On the highway, they almost always pull a vehicle over for some perceived infraction, not to check that you actually have a Driver's Licence and Insurance and valid Vehicle Registration.

How many times have you seen them stopping every vehicle on a highway and doing a complete paper check and keep everybody in line until they finish checking the one first in line.  

The answer is never.

Why are snowmobilers subject to full Monty?

I have noticed that it is getting better, and perhaps the numerous complaints are being heard and considered. We need a balance, not every stop needs to result in a paperwork check, but at the same time sledders need to know they may be checked and they may have to blow to check for impairment at any time. Personally where I ride, mostly on STP trails in the Sudbury area, i have never been hassled by police or STOP. I ride 6k km's per year, and have only been checked on average of about once per season. Last year I rode over 8000 km. about 6k of them here, and was never stopped once, was waved through twice. My permit is front and center and easy to see, i am sure this helps both police and trail patrol to do their jobs. I have read about these long lines, but never have seen one. and BTW it is not against any law to not sit in a line 30 sleds long to wait to be checked, you can turn around and be on your way unless a police officer has told you to remain there. I suggest everyone in these lines do so to get the message across that this is not what we want in enforcement.

Cops here nailed a few this weekend, good job, and or trails are yet to even open.

I don't mind being checked, once.  I would rather them check more sleds for valid permits than check the sames sleds multiple times.  I was checked once last year and the OPP insisted on my paperwork.  After I giggled and commented, I realized that I had not been asked for paperwork for years, if ever.

It is likely that a sled with a valid Trail Permit and Validation Tag is being ridden by a licensed and insured driver.  If you want the quick hits, just keep checking stickers and move on the next one.  When you get the azzhat that doesn't have a valid permit, check EVERYTHING as you are likely going to find more tickets to write.

Just the law of human nature at work.  Something like natural selection  ;)

When you are pulled over in a car on the road they are already running your plate before they got you stopped. Have you ever had cop car pull up on your butt stay there for a minute then back off. They are running your plate. Can't do that on the trail.

Apparently some jurisdictions and some cruisers are now equipped with cameras that will use character recognition to pick up your licence plate number and automatilcally submit it for verification without the officer doing anything. If there is anything of concern it issues an audible tone. It also comes back with all the vehicle info so a plate on a black Chev P/U registered to a white Ford P/U will get you stopped for sure. But that is on the road.

Apparently some jurisdictions and some cruisers are now equipped with cameras that will use character recognition to pick up your licence plate number and automatilcally submit it for verification without the officer doing anything. If there is anything of concern it issues an audible tone. It also comes back with all the vehicle info so a plate on a black Chev P/U registered to a white Ford P/U will get you stopped for sure. But that is on the road.

If the plate was on the wrong vehicle, how would the system know to alert the officer?

It is likely that a sled with a valid Trail Permit and Validation Tag is being ridden by a licensed and insured driver.  If you want the quick hits, just keep checking stickers and move on the next one.  When you get the azzhat that doesn't have a valid permit, check EVERYTHING as you are likely going to find more tickets to write.

Just the law of human nature at work.  Something like natural selection  ;)

I don't see any need for looking at paper work when a simple look at snow permit , and val taq would suffice.

Last year around Palmerston (wed trip) stopped three times by the same guy. If he had of asked for paper work the third time i'm sure something would have happened.

If the plate was on the wrong vehicle, how would the system know to alert the officer?

That wouldn't give an automatic alert. The vehicle info would be on the laptop in the car and the officer would be able to see that by looking but apparently it will alert for things like registered owner with a suspended licence, stolen vehicle or plate, outstanding violations etc.

It seems they also use the same technology in the U.S. where they boot and tow vehicles for excessive parking tickets. Some places may do the same here.

That wouldn't give an automatic alert. The vehicle info would be on the laptop in the car and the officer would be able to see that by looking but apparently it will alert for things like registered owner with a suspended licence, stolen vehicle or plate, outstanding violations etc.

It seems they also use the same technology in the U.S. where they boot and tow vehicles for excessive parking tickets. Some places may do the same here.

OH please don't tell me that the officer is reading his laptop or MDT as they are called, whilst driving?    What is the world coming too?

Don't the police understand that it is a distraction to read a screen whilst operating a motor vehicle?

I don't see any need for looking at paper work when a simple look at snow permit , and val taq would suffice.

Last year around Palmerston (wed trip) stopped three times by the same guy. If he had of asked for paper work the third time i'm sure something would have happened.

Rarely come across police on the trail. Every time but one did they do anything more than look for permit and val tag as we slowed down and kept on going. The one time they stopped us they were looking for stolen permits and wanted to see the actual number

The officer was in a cruiser this weekend but he was very nice and simply did a visual that we were in order with respect to permits.  He did have other customers as well and seemed to do the same with them.  No complaints there.  Last year we got stopped twice where despite having everything in order visually the officer took our licenses back to the car and made us wait while other sleds went by without even a visual.

They also did that to me at my cottage on Lake Simcoe. It was my first trip to the cottage last year and York Regional's finest thought it was suspicious that I pulled into a cottage that had no previous sled tracks.  I'm not going to whine too much about that though because they just as easily could have been nabbing one of the many crooks up there!  I did however think it was weird that they wanted my drivers license instead of watching me open the door and turn off the alarm.   

OH please don't tell me that the officer is reading his laptop or MDT as they are called, whilst driving?    What is the world coming too?

Don't the police understand that it is a distraction to read a screen whilst operating a motor vehicle?

they are exempt from that law 

Here is one to add,over the last two years I have been stopped several times often in the same day , I can live with this but when you have all your documents in order and then are told to remove you helmet so they can make sure who you are , but tell the rest of your 5 riding budies to move along . that is what starts to bother me. One other thing I would realy like to see is the police checking sleds  more at night when in my opinion that is the time most free loaders are out not at 1:00 pm on a sunday afternoon. not saying they are not out on a sunday afternoon but i think alot more are out at night.

Got stopped last year in Bracebridge (a real shocker) cop had a boom mike on his helmet, talked to his dispatch with my info, i was out of there in no time ,But then again i guess BB is such a heat score they need them here 

The officer was in a cruiser this weekend but he was very nice and simply did a visual that we were in order with respect to permits.  He did have other customers as well and seemed to do the same with them.  No complaints there.  Last year we got stopped twice where despite having everything in order visually the officer took our licenses back to the car and made us wait while other sleds went by without even a visual.

They also did that to me at my cottage on Lake Simcoe. It was my first trip to the cottage last year and York Regional's finest thought it was suspicious that I pulled into a cottage that had no previous sled tracks.  I'm not going to whine too much about that though because they just as easily could have been nabbing one of the many crooks up there!  I did however think it was weird that they wanted my drivers license instead of watching me open the door and turn off the alarm.   

That's good police work.  :) 

they are exempt from that law 

I know....  Sarcasm at its best  ;)

Got stopped last year in Bracebridge (a real shocker) cop had a boom mike on his helmet, talked to his dispatch with my info, i was out of there in no time ,But then again i guess BB is such a heat score they need them here 

They need to "practice" in some others areas.  People avoid BB just to avoid being stopped. 

could be their partner in the car reading it.

could be their partner in the car reading it.

They are actually exempt from the law.  Being a cop does not necessarily make you a better driver.  Likely a competent driver, but a distraction is a distraction IMO.

What's good for the goose is good for the Gander

IMHO it is "Do what I say,not what I do".

Yup...very much a parent/child like relationship

Archived