Need Help with Kapuskasing

DaveTess

Off until January 5th and are thinking of taking a run up to that neck of the woods leaving perhaps Sunday the 27th and sledding through the week and perhaps leaving Saturday the 3rd.

Any suggestions as to where to stay. Not looking for the Palace but something nice and clean. Never been up there and really need some help.

Thanks in advance.

All motels except for the "new" Travelodge (Old Mattagami) are easily accessible by trail. 

Comfort Inn

The Apollo by Casey's & Papa Franco's used to be our "go to" lodging but as they shut down the pool then hot tub (w/o lowering the rates) we went elsewhere. 

We stayed at the Super 8 and really enjoyed our stay there.

Kapuskasing is well situated for trail loops or going east one day, going west the next. With a population of about 12,000, most amenities are there. If I recall from last year, you guys sled on your own - the main trails around Kap are fairly close to roads and communities so in the event of trouble, you can make your way or call to help.

Super 8 is good if there has been enough snow for the local club to make a trail to it from the main trail. Send the manager an email from their web site - she is very good at responding.

http://www.super8kapuskasing.com/

Was quoted sledder's rate of $105 this year, but access trail wasn't in yet. There is also good crosscountry snow areas if you or your spouse like to ski.

Get room 105 or 107, ground floor looking over parking lot. Here's my review from last year:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12970-district-15-kapuskasing-super-8-hotel/

Not to gainsay anyone, but found the Comfort Inn to be right in the middle of downtown - busy road, lots of traffic for crossing to trail.

The Apollo - no website - but has large rooms, microwave, fridge, walk out access, hair dryer, right across from the trail, is at the west end of town and close to a couple of restaurants.

Here is some contact info - they sent me a picture of their pamphlet, but I can't upload it due to 'error 406' on this forum (?):

mgenier@apollomotel.ca
705-335-6084

The nearby Advantage is a bit cheaper, but check some reviews.

Will post some trail pictures later. Unless I get error 406 again. In this case PM me with an email address. Snow looks good up here though.

Here is a post from last March with some pictures of what to expect if conditions are good:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12947-kapuskasing-march-24252614-to-heck-with-cochrane/

Thanks Slomo

Yes we ride two up and mainly on our own. We find when we ride with singles in a group or singles on their own,  were always at the back and just don't travel as fast as a single does and unfortunately have felt a little uncomfortable when we come rolling up and were last. 

Anyway we will send a note up to and see what's available. Would you guys suggest Kap or Cochrane? It looks like by the trails that form Kap we could go both East and West.

Is there anything to stay at in the Dubberville area. Might stay a day down there on the way back.

Thanks Slomo for all your help.

May our trail's cross some day.

Dave & Tess.

Okay - figured out a way for the Apollo Motel information to work:

post-19713-0-66377100-1419622838_thumb.g

(screen save)

Here are a few room pictures - as no web site - not promoting in any way, but they are map sponsors: (excuse all my stuff lying around - still gives you some idea of how much you can spread out)

post-19713-0-52573600-1419623174_thumb.j

post-19713-0-51626200-1419623181_thumb.j

post-19713-0-21400900-1419623197_thumb.j

The trail to the Super 8 is not open yet - went over that way today on travels. The trail that runs south of the highway that might be proximate is also closed. Great place to stay but no direct trail access for now. There looks to be enough snow, but would be up to the local club as to when it will happen.

Hello folks,

Unfortunately, the club hasn't had an opportunity to break the trail to the Super8 yet. More swampy ground to get through (and we've seen what that's like!) so have been waiting for more cold weather. And we gave our best guys some time off over the holidays.

Sorry!

Hope you decided on Kapuskasing, because you hit the nail on the head with the "east and then west" theory of riding.

If you are interested in riding with another couple, my husband and I live in Kapuskasing and are always happy to show off our trails.

Enjoy your visit to the north.

Hey know worries on the trail. If were driving 10 hours a few minutes from the place we stay won't hurt. Is there a place to drop the sled out of the trailer and park near by the Super 8 at a trail ? Were thinking of heading out Sunday morning.

Hello Slomo you still up there? How are the trails?

Tess & Dave

Tess & Dave

Yep, just got in on a lunch break and helmet repair - here until Monday. Trails in the Kapuskasing region that are open are excellent and even better so due to light snow this morning. To put it in SlowTouringGuy language, it is 'feet up on the pegs' trail riding.

East of Kapuskasing proper there are mixed conditions, but generally smooth. This morning headed toward the west - trails were fine until the 'border' between the clubs including Kapuskasing (sorry starts with a G?)and those to the west - generally at the point on the OFSC map where 'yellow' condition is reported. One still needs to be vigilant - the occasional 'surprise' presents itself where flooding took place.

I'll post more info in my other post about Kapuskasing later. Heading back out.

Hello folks,

Unfortunately, the club hasn't had an opportunity to break the trail to the Super8 yet. More swampy ground to get through (and we've seen what that's like!) so have been waiting for more cold weather. And we gave our best guys some time off over the holidays.

Sorry!

Please thank the club members for an excellent job! This area was my last ride last season and my first ride this season. Thanks!

Hey know worries on the trail. If were driving 10 hours a few minutes from the place we stay won't hurt. Is there a place to drop the sled out of the trailer and park near by the Super 8 at a trail ? Were thinking of heading out Sunday morning.

Tess & Dave

Thanks for the skill-testing question....racking my brain to think of a suitable public staging area "near the Super8"....and unfortunately can't think of a single place. As Slomo mentioned, the other motels are located directly along Hwy 11 and the TOP A trail within town, and there really is no other public space. The Comfort Inn has been recently renovated and, yes, the intersection is busy. If you exit their lot via the back entrance and cross with the lights, it's manageable.

Are you familiar with the clubhouse in Moonbeam? It's right on the TOP A, east of Kap. It's about a 15 or 20 minute drive east of the Super8 and they are perfectly fine with trucks and trailers in their large parking lot. (It's 4 km north of Hwy 11, on Nursery Road, on the east side of Moonbeam. Look for the blue and white Tourism Ontario sign for "Moonbeam club trails").

I will make some calls and will post an update if I can find another suitable staging place for you.

Please thank the club members for an excellent job! This area was my last ride last season and my first ride this season. Thanks!

I'll be sure to pass that along. And keep up the trail reports and other reviews....love the feedback!

Great thread guys. I've really enjoyed reading it.

Westway in Cochrane will keep your trailer while you ride to comfort inn in kap.pl trail right there. and sleds outside your room

Was advised late last night that the trail to the Super8 is being worked on and is expected to be open in a couple of days. The colder weather is going to help.

Update ... trail to Super8 / A&W is now open and available as per the Kap trail facebook page, here's the link ....

https://www.facebook.com/1582340265328144/photos/pcb.1607841756111328/1607839519444885/?type=1

10911450_1607839519444885_29201572999425

Archived