Tracks to Trails Trips on ACR

revrnd

We did that trip last year, plan on making a stop at Shining tree for gas and lunch at 3 Bears.. Kelli will look after ya. There was a little place after that right on the trail that we topped up a couple hours away from Timmins.. You will be fine no worries

The run from Suds to Timmins is a stretch on fuel. Need to plan that one.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you can easily do this by topping off the machines in Hearst before loading and then depart the train in Searchmont.  There are places to stay in Searchmont.  Then the next morning head over to Sudbury via either Blackcreek/Aubrey Falls or head down D along the North Shore.  Either way you will go through Elliot Lake and then further east back to Sudbury.

This would give you a day of rest in the middle of the trip.  You could ride into the Soo from Searchmont, but will have to back track out again to head east.

That sounds like a great trip.

So, the train stops in Searchmont and allows you to unload your sled?

There was a little place after that right on the trail that we topped up a couple hours away from Timmins.. You will be fine no worries

The gas stop is @ the Mattagami FN east of Gogama.

yes, pick a mile marker anywhere in the train line and get let off, and or picked up. only way to get to a lot of remote agawa/Algoma camps between searchmont and wawa. Ski

I was under the impression that if you were staying with them, they'd transport you and your sled to the train station. 

I guess a phone call up there is in order to clarify. 

Well no where in there does it say they supply shuttle for your sleds to the motel from the train. Reason I have been trying to get conformation of this is the same as yours. How to get the sled across town without a vehicle.

Well no where in there does it say they supply shuttle for your sleds to the motel from the train. Reason I have been trying to get conformation of this is the same as yours. How to get the sled across town without a vehicle.

Found this posted by a Sault local (Dan) I think he frequents this site too.........might help you confirm your travel concerns

Here's the latest from the Sault Trailblazers as of October 20th

Updated - Monday Oct. 20th 4:00 p.m.

Heyden Trail Repairs

Dan See and John Breckenridge worked to repair a part of the Heyden-to-4 Corners Trail systemicon1.png on Saturday. Culverts were put back in place and 2 loads to gravel, kindly donated by Pioneer Construction, were brought in to fill a major washout. Dan graciously donated his double-axle haulage trailer and 4 x 4'd his way into the the bush to fill the washout.

BushNET - Live Trail Camera

Dan Kachur worked in the Heyden area on Saturday to bring BushNET aka BlazerNET one step closer to being up-and-running live. The solar panel is up and the camera is live in beta mode. Final logistics are being worked out for the installation of a high-gain antenna.

Signage Day - Summary

This past Saturday’s signage day must have been a very busy day for most sledders because only one couple showed up to help. Signage is important and if we haven’t completed it before the snow arrives we cannot legally open the trailsicon1.png until all signage is installed AND approved by the District Trails Master. So, stay tuned for the next opportunity to help get ready for a great snowmobile season. The club needs your support. Special thanks to Kevin and Val for coming out and helping on Saturday. We managed to get the Old Goulais Bay Road from the Garbage Dump to Four Corners signed and ready. If you know of any sections of trails that are missing signs, please give us a email or poke on Facebook or a twitter message. Shawn Greenwood v-6shg@hotmail.com.

Heyden - Fuel

Will Heyden be getting fuel again? Not to start rumours, but, there's work going on at the former Esso Station on the corner of highway 17 and the Searchmont Highway. This could be welcome news!

MountainView Lodge

A new addition for riders for 2014 / 15 is MountainView Lodge. Located on the Searchmont highway at Northland, this very picturesque facility will be open for both food and accommodations. Brennan and crew have a trail available that comes in from the Ranger Lake road at the Glendale / ACR tracks intersection. They can be reached at 705 781-3329.

TSSA - Townhall Meeting - SSM Delta

The CEO of TSSA is coming to the Sault and will be hosting a Townhall meeting at the Delta on Wednesday November 12th from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Please visit TSSA.ORG to see the announcement on the website or email townhall@tssa.org to get on the invite list.

One More Gas Station Closed

Goulais River is unfortunately down to 2 fuel stations. Regretfully, the Goulais River General Store, located on highway 552 west recently closed, therefore no more fuel. However, Goulais River Country Store on Highway 17 and Timberland also on Highway 17 have fuel.

Blueberry Hill Motel - Goulais

Blueberry Hill will be open for business as usual this winter. They offer room rentals, campsites and their property as a Staging location. Breakfast is included with room rentals. Please feel free to contact Diane and Staff for more information. They are available at 705 649 5631.

President's Message

As the 2015 Snowmobile Season is approaching, I would like to say hello to all our existing and new members. Permits are now on sale online as of Oct 1st. Please make sure that when you apply to select District 13 and the clubicon1.png where you plan on riding this season. We are a Not-for-Profit Volunteer organization. Without the help of all our volunteers, contractors and land owners, we would not be able to operate and provide groomed trails. The Club Directors and Volunteers have been very busy getting prepared for this season, any help would be appreciated. We hope to see you at our next general meeting. Please check this website for dates and don’t forget to pass the word along to your friends.

Thank you

John Breckenridge

2015 Permits

2015 Seasonicon1.png permits are now on sale via the OFSC website. Cost is $180 (+ $.7.50 Processing Fee) until November 1st. Price goes up after November 1st to $210 (+ $7.50 Processing Fee).

Halfway Haven

The club has been informed that Halfway Haven will not be open this winter, therefore, no groomed trail on the top section of the Ranger N/W and Powerline. The Whitman / Domtar trails will be groomed and not affected.

Club Christmas Party - Wed. Dec. 10th

This year's upcoming Christmas Party is scheduled for Wednesday December 10th and will be held at Gino's Family Restaurant. Start time is 6 p.m. There will be a choice of three meals this year and all include unlimited salad and bread. Menu selection includes: #1. Chicken Parm with roast potatoes and vegetable OR #2. 1/2 rack ribs with penne OR #3. Veal Scaloppini with spaghetti. Tickets can be purchased at the next meeting or by contacting Karen Donnelly at Karen.Donnelly@Sympatico.ca. Priceicon1.png is $20 for members, $25 for non members. We will be doing the gift exchange again this year and gifts are limited to $10. One gift per person attending.

Trailblazette Newsletter - Oct 2014

For your enjoyable reading pleasure, the first edition of the Trailblazette for 2015 is now available for download from this website and is located in the News and Info section. A huge thank you to Shawn Greenwood for taking the lead in preparing another great edition of the newsletter. Readers always look forward to the Trailblazette. Very much appreciated Shawn.

Roxy's Lakeside Grill - Haviland

Once the trails are open, Roxy's is offering 10% off any meal to snowmobilers. Roxy's is also offering their parking lot this winter as a Staging area for those who wish to launch from Haviland. Fuel is also available 2 doors over from Roxy's.

Shuttle Service - Catalina Motel

Catalina Motel, in Sault Ste. Marie, is once again offering snowmobile train tour packages and shuttle service to and from the staging area. Catalina Motel also provides International Sled Shuttle service into and out of United States via International Bridge.

Searchmont Store

Goodicon1.png News! Searchmont now has a store. No fuel at this time though.

Black Creek Outfitters

Black Creek Outiftters, located in the Aubrey Falls area, will be ready for another winter of snowmobiling. They will offer light lunches, fuel, accomodations and December specials on cabin rentals. Black Creek Outfitters will also be grooming the OFSC trails in their region. For more information visit www.blackcreekoutfitters.ca or call 705 841-2555.

2nd Meeting of Season - Wed. Oct 29th

The Club will be hosting the 2nd general meeting of the season on Wednesday October 29th at 7 p.m at Gino's Family Restaurant. Everyone is welcome and is open to the general public.

Driver's Training

Please call the Clubhouse at 705 759-0023 to get your name on the list for Driver Training, leave a message if you are not able to reach the staff. Our first training course date will be announced this fall.

Fuel Availability - October 2014

Fuel is available in Goulais, Haviland, Black Creek, Airport Road, Sault Ste. Marie, Echo Bay and Bruce Mines. There is no fuel available in Heyden or Searchmont at this time. Please plan your trips with fuel availability in-mind.

Distance Calculations

Goulais to Searchmont is 36 kms (22.5 miles). Searchmont to Black Creek Outfitters is 150 kms (94 miles), Therefore, Goulais to Black Creek Outfitters is 186 kms (116.5 miles), Please plan your trips with fuel supply and availability in-mind.

Join the Club

Are you interesting in joining the club. The fee is $10 per year per family. Please email us: karen.donnelly@sympatico.ca or come out to the next meeting on Wed. Oct 29th at Gino's Family Restaurant at 7 pm.

For more information, please visit us on Facebook or the website at SSM Trailblazers

I was under the impression that if you were staying with them, they'd transport you and your sled to the train station. 

I guess a phone call up there is in order to clarify. 

What I read is that they will shuttle you to the station and from the station. If leaving from the station, you drop your sleds off, drive back and park. They then shuttle you back to station. If arriving on the train, they shuttle to the motel to get your truck and trailer....

Yes, Ski is right!  They will stop where you ask them to stop ahead of time.  I have been dropped in Searchmont 3 times going south over the years.

They will not stop to load sleds in Seachmont because they let you load the night prior down in the Soo.  I guess they want to get going North.  I have asked for a Searchmont pickup going North with sleds 3 times and they said NO.  Sometimes we spend the night in Wawa and then go over to Hawk Junction and leave the trailers at the train parking area and load there going North or ride North and hop off there on the way South.

The trip we took, 3 guys from Ft. Wayne got dropped off @ D'ville on our way to Hearst.

Trip Meeting Monday I will find out then about a sled shuttle!

Found this posted by a Sault local (Dan) I think he frequents this site too.........might help you confirm your travel concerns

Shuttle Service - Catalina Motel

Catalina Motel, in Sault Ste. Marie, is once again offering snowmobile train tour packages and shuttle service to and from the staging area. Catalina Motel also provides International Sled Shuttle service into and out of United States via International Bridge.

Saw that but if you read it it says nothing about a sled shuttle from the hotel to the train of visa versa. If you go to the snow train tracks to trails they mention a people shuttle service to the hotel or from the hotel but do not mention a sled shuttle. There is a border shuttle so I'm thinking it can be done but still trying to confirm! Buddy is talking to the guy at the Catilina and bringing the info to our sled trip meeting on Monday or Tuesday.

At the risk of butting in, thought I'd let you know that the District 15 Trail Guide is showing a new sponsor in Hornepayne:

Rock's Hunt Camp

1-807-868-2085

rockshuntcamp@hotmail.com

www.rockshuntcamp.com

Able to accommodate large groups. Pool table. Large kitchen. Reservations required. Be interested in hearing more about it if anybody does stay there.

rock's is right on the snowmobile trail, between the Chelsea loop and d108a just outside of Hornepayne on the Dubreuilville side. from looking at the website you will need to source your own food and beverages. there is not much of a selection of eating establishments in Hornepayne since the town center complex was closed. I would love to stay in hornepayne again... MANY MANY GREAT MEMORIES, live there for me and my friends and family. Ski

Still waiting on info for Sault and Catalina Hotel shuttle service. Guy is on Holidays this week and the staff couldn't give a reply other then there is no way to ride to the Catalina Hotel from the trail system (he said you can't ride the last block to the Hotel, interesting so you have to shuttle that distance!) , we already knew you can't ride to the train. Anyway still waiting for an answer as to whether or not he will shuttle our sleds to the train in Sault. He's back next week we will find out then.

If your taking the train south, get off in Searchmont.

If you are riding south, ride to the Water Tower Hotel. Then call a wrecker service with a flat-bed truck and follow in a cab to the train station.

or contact the Soo snowmobile club, donate some funds to the club, asking for a return favor of transporting sleds to the station from a hotel. I am sure some members would be glad to help. Ski

I don't know if I'd want to depend on loading sleds the night before departure. In addition to the Tracks to Trails trip on the ACR, I've also taken the Tour Of the Line trip which is a round trip staying overnight in Hearst. That trip we arrived in Hearst @ 8 PM (not sure of the scheduled arrival). Another couple from the train & myself were the only patrons in the entire restaurant @ the Companion.

When we took the train to Hearst for our sled trip in '06, we left the Sault around 9 AM. We arrived in Hearst @ 8:30 PM, schedule: 6:40 PM.

Inverting this, you might be waiting a long time @ the station for the train to arrive in the Sault.

The night of our arrival @ the Ambassador:

post-19781-0-39697900-1416004266_thumb.jpg

Bro loading his sled:

post-19781-0-22444000-1416004398_thumb.jpg

Me parking my sled in snowmobile car:

post-19781-0-52521900-1416004455_thumb.jpg

Our luggage was what we had in our saddlebags. We packed munchies for the trip as there is not food service provided.

Parking our sleds in the garage @ the Companion:

post-19781-0-19625600-1416004651_thumb.jpg

If you are riding south, ride to the Water Tower Hotel. Then call a wrecker service with a flat-bed truck and follow in a cab to the train station.

No we want to ride south and train back but either way still leaves us with no ride from the train to a motel. We want to unload and leave our vehicles in Hearst not the Sault. 12 hours to Sault and lots of big hills to climb up and slide down. Hearst is maybe 9 hours and fairly flat going.

Has possibility!

or contact the Soo snowmobile club, donate some funds to the club, asking for a return favor of transporting sleds to the station from a hotel. I am sure some members would be glad to help. Ski

I was kinda hoping that someone from the club would be reading this! I did mention earlier asking for a sled taxi and think it is a great idea.

The night of our arrival @ the Ambassador:

attachicon.gif010.JPG

Bro loading his sled:

attachicon.gif028.JPG

Me parking my sled in snowmobile car:

attachicon.gif027.JPG

Our luggage was what we had in our saddlebags. We packed munchies for the trip as there is not food service provided.

Parking our sleds in the garage @ the Companion:

attachicon.gif167.JPG

Ambassador is in Sault and companion is in Hearst?

Archived