Snowmobilers with Go Pro threatened by guy with gun

Running Wild

First off it wasn't even his property , it was his neighbors he drove to get to them he made the first move kicking the sled and smacking the guy in the head and the gate they went through had no signs anywhere And I can see how easy it could have bee to make a mistake but this guy was just being a hard ass looking bad with a shotgun in his hand he had no intent to try to talk he wanted trouble lucky these young guys kept there cool good for them who was the ADULT there

Just my take on this. I think there is a lot more to this story than we will know. The gun is excessive though.

X 2, Mossy.

The farmer did concede that he "had had enough", apparently because of many past incidents of sledders trespassing on his farm, stressing his animals and running over his cat....but that does not justify confronting them with a gun.  As others in this thread have said, they should ALL be charged.

lucky it was not someone of my demeanor,, I may have wronged but I do take offense to someone taking a personal attack on me and my friends and property. Bring a gun a gun to a sled fight and I will show how it is done,,, the guy with the gun is soooooo wrong here,,, he will be lucky if you stays out of jail,,,

lucky it was not someone of my demeanor,, I may have wronged but I do take offense to someone taking a personal attack on me and my friends and property. Bring a gun a gun to a sled fight and I will show how it is done,,, the guy with the gun is soooooo wrong here,,, he will be lucky if you stays out of jail,,,

Threatening someone with a firearm will not be taken lightly

Lucky for the sledders it isn't texas

For sure! I have a tree stand within 500 meters of the groomed trail! Go in the bottom and can peak out all four sides! Only give away would be my sled at the bottom of the tree!

For sure! I have a tree stand within 500 meters of the groomed trail! Go in the bottom and can peak out all four sides! Only give away would be my sled at the bottom of the tree!

you are one of a kind thank god 

It's been said here before but there is no need for a gun.  A camera with a long lens from the safety of a truck would be a lot more effective.  This was not an unplanned reaction as sledders have been terrorizing this poor farmer and his alpacas for years.  He had a long time to think about how to address the situation and I'm sure had consulted police and lawyers years ago.  Unfortunately firearm offences carry a larger stigma than trespassing does with the public.

I'm by no means defending the sledders as trespassing is a crime and can cause a lot of damage to crops, equipment under the snow and disturbs animals.  Personal injury and liability are on everyone's mind as well and with the insurgence of American style lawsuits landowners are looking out for themselves. 

I hope this gets worked out and these sledders learn to stay on the trails or get permission in the future and the farmer doesn't spend too much time in jail.

There has to be more to this story. The farmer never intended on shooting the gun, but he also should have never brought it in the first place.

Who knows how many times he has had to confront snowmobilers about staying off his property and they haven't ignore his demands.

All in all this is just bad publicity for snowmobiling.

And gun owners too.

Charging them with trespassing is one thing but kicking the sled and punching the guy in the face,is not cool.Could have ended a lot worse .

Just wondering, if I take my cr500 and go tear assing around your house because it isn't posted no trespassing, is that alright? Sit and think about what ths guy has gone through, obviously he had enough. I can't view the vid on my tablet, so I can't see how he was controling the muzzle of his gun, but carrying a long gun in daylight hours is not illegal, pointing it at someone is careless and unethical, threatning to shoot someone is illegal. If he didn't threaten them , he will probably get a fine for careless use of a firearm.

In this case I sympathize with the farmer, I would think he had been pushed to this point and had no help from the law. I'm not saying he is right, but I don't blame him either. Would any of this happened had they stayed off his property?

First off it wasn't even his property , it was his neighbors he drove to get to them he made the first move kicking the sled and smacking the guy in the head and the gate they went through had no signs anywhere And I can see how easy it could have bee to make a mistake but this guy was just being a hard ass looking bad with a shotgun in his hand he had no intent to try to talk he wanted trouble lucky these young guys kept there cool good for them who was the ADULT there

Whoaaaaaaaa there! Just because there are no signs does not give you the right to be there!

Just wondering, if I take my cr500 and go tear assing around your house because it isn't posted no trespassing, is that alright? Sit and think about what ths guy has gone through, obviously he had enough. I can't view the vid on my tablet, so I can't see how he was controling the muzzle of his gun, but carrying a long gun in daylight hours is not illegal, pointing it at someone is careless and unethical, threatning to shoot someone is illegal. If he didn't threaten them , he will probably get a fine for careless use of a firearm.

In this case I sympathize with the farmer, I would think he had been pushed to this point and had no help from the law. I'm not saying he is right, but I don't blame him either. Would any of this happened had they stayed off his property?

AMEN - totally agree with you there.

Private land is private land.  You step on it, you can be charged, PERIOD, signs or not, and I've seen it up here.  Signs just make it obvious that it's private, and not crown land.

I'm not an advocate of what the landowner did, but I can see his point of view.  However, you point a gun in my face, or kick my sled while holding a gun, you might have well as pulled the trigger, 'cause it would  have hit the fan had I been there getting slapped.  By no means would I have shot the man, however he'd certainly know that he did something wrong with his threats and actions...

Everyone should be charged, too bad we'll never know how it turns out.

Archived