The Whitfield

sledjunk

We stayed at the Whitfield this past weekend.

The rooms are very small and would be suitable for one sledder, but quite tight for two, with all their gear.  The facilities are aged and in need of some refurbishment, but the rooms are clean and the beds comfortable.

There is only a set of four coat hooks for hanging clothes and clothes on one of those will cover the edge of the television.

The bathroom is very small (when you sit on the toilet, your chin can rest on the sink).  I guess this can be considered a 'feature' in some circumstances :-)

The restaurant is quite good with friendly service.  They seem to have a regular local clientele for breakfast and socializing.

On the plus side, their sledders special was that two can stay and dine for $99 per night.  This included breakfast and dinner and included anything on the menu except appetizers and bar charges.

And right on the trail for some darn good sledding. Sounds like a bargain to me.

... but quite tight for two, with all their gear. 

What if we left a battery charger (or 10) at home?

:icon_tinykitball::-P

In all seriousness, the room rate seems fantastic.

Thanks for the report.

Good to hear. The folks stayed their several years ago & enjoyed the stay there. We stayed there in the 90s under the previous ownership. The place was better known as the $%itfield in those days. Pretty much a 3 way tie w/ the Crane Lake House of the late 90s & the long gone Katrine Motel for worst accommodation.

We stayed at the Whitfield this past weekend.

The bathroom is very small (when you sit on the toilet, your chin can rest on the sink).  I guess this can be considered a 'feature' in some circumstances :-)

Came with the room at the Hawberry Motel in Little Current - no extra charge! If you're considering RV or travel trailer retirement, could be good practice.

post-19713-0-69128500-1395750655_thumb.j

Related - we have enjoyed the Whitfield outdoor patio during the summer months.

Looks similar :-)

Good to hear. The folks stayed their several years ago & enjoyed the stay there. We stayed there in the 90s under the previous ownership. The place was better known as the $%itfield in those days. Pretty much a 3 way tie w/ the Crane Lake House of the late 90s & the long gone Katrine Motel for worst accommodation.

A group of us stayed there when it was the Osler Park Lodge (or something) between it's Whitfield incarnations.

The rooms were cold - snow blowing under the door - and unclean. One young fellow slept in his sled suit on top of the bed after pulling the sheets down and finding them hair covered. His dad wore his running shoes in the shower because of the mold. The dining was greatn both for supper and for breakfast and the main hall was very accommodating.

It's great to hear that the rooms are now improving - great location and the price is phenomemal !

A group of us stayed there when it was the Osler Park Lodge (or something) between it's Whitfield incarnations.

The rooms were cold - snow blowing under the door - and unclean. One young fellow slept in his sled suit on top of the bed after pulling the sheets down and finding them hair covered. His dad wore his running shoes in the shower because of the mold. The dining was greatn both for supper and for breakfast and the main hall was very accommodating.

It's great to hear that the rooms are now improving - great location and the price is phenomemal !

Oastler Parkside was the name Rolly and Jeanny Maillioux . Once saw them grab a package of buns out of the cooler with a mouse hole in it they threw out the chewed bun and served the rest. 

• 1 year later...

I believe "The Whitfield" is up for sale.

Power of sale. I hope the new owners can bring it back to life.

At the cost of hydro it is difficult to make a go of a business like that nowadays

True! Hydro is killing every business slowly! The joke of the day is how many customers did hydro one tick off in the last few years it was like 11,000 and how many customers left zero.

True! Hydro is killing every business slowly! The joke of the day is how many customers did hydro one tick off in the last few years it was like 11,000 and how many customers left zero.

reVOLTing

reVOLTing

They will continue to zap us, until we all stand up and revolt! Same goes with gas. Seems like all of the major players charge as much as they can and then jack it up slowly in the years to come!

They will continue to zap us, until we all stand up and revolt! Same goes with gas. Seems like all of the major players charge as much as they can and then jack it up slowly in the years to come!

so how do we make that stand?

Weeekend and Canada Day is coming.... went from $1.189 to $1.209 overnight on Dixie Rd north of the 401 and the cost of oil hasn't gone up. At this rate reqular will be $1.509 by January. I need to make another call to Tesla about that battery powered sled with a solar panel.

Out of curiosity I checked hotel availlability for the hotels near the airport... from July 10 to the 26 which are the dates for the Pan Am games. Every hotel in the area can offer me a choice of rooms for the full 16 night stay.

Out of curiosity I checked hotel availlability for the hotels near the airport... from July 10 to the 26 which are the dates for the Pan Am games. Every hotel in the area can offer me a choice o

f rooms for the full 16 night stay.

Sounds lots of camping Is going to happen around the city.

Sounds lots of camping Is going to happen around the city.

I'm renting out my front lawn to a bunch of people in town to see the bowling.

Archived