Vintage pass

Baylaker

introduce new people to the sport on equipment that breaks down rides bad and smokes give me a break

Ride bad?? Ya I'll give ya that...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a 3 day vintage weekend every year, and it's this weekend... Print your free permit and ride that narrow ski, boggie wheeled flat track 70's machine all you want... :)

Exactly!!! But we gotta groom more if we allow more "vintage" sleds on the trail remember;)

I gotta believe that any vintage sled less than 600cc wouldn't put a dent on a groomed trail.... but yes, regardless of the age of the sled, there's always trail maintenance to be done.  

And Wildbill, whatever sled you run regardless of age, if you run good oil at 50:1, you don't get any more smoke than any other sled out there.  There's always a riders' choice, I personally like old stuff, because for the most part it's more reliable than anything with a computer on it, and you can fix what breaks on the trail with a flat screwdriver and a pair of vise-grips.  I'd take my Cheyenne into the bush before a new Tundra, ANYDAY.

I think it will attract many new sledders who want to get into snowmobiling, but can't afford a $2-3k sled. You can buy these older vintage sleds for $300-$700 in running order. They hardly make a dent in the trails as they don't have the power or lugs to dig trenches like all these newer sleds. Ya there will be more people on the trails, that's what it's all about isn't it? To get more people involved & interested in the sport....as we all know, snowmobiling is very expensive (rich mans sport) and these vintage sleds are cheap in every way! I think it's a good idea as well to present it.

I would second that.

A good way to get young families out to enjoy an activity, I'm sure a lot of can remember being taken out or taking out our young families, but not having a lot of $$$ to heavily commit.............

Most people that are inr o the vintage sleds have more than the econmic means to buy a permit. Want a cheap permit for your old backbreaker buy a full price one and get sexond for half off.

Really dont matter how much you make it see all kinds on the side trails with no permit and that wont xhange regardless of the age of the sled

I gotta believe that any vintage sled less than 600cc wouldn't put a dent on a groomed trail.... but yes, regardless of the age of the sled, there's always trail maintenance to be done.  

And Wildbill, whatever sled you run regardless of age, if you run good oil at 50:1, you don't get any more smoke than any other sled out there.  There's always a riders' choice, I personally like old stuff, because for the most part it's more reliable than anything with a computer on it, and you can fix what breaks on the trail with a flat screwdriver and a pair of vise-grips.  I'd take my Cheyenne into the bush before a new Tundra, ANYDAY.

1970 s machines smoked and stunk remember the smell of the old suits? I do now we ride in our suits and then wear the jacket as a winter jacket 

1970 s machines smoked and stunk remember the smell of the old suits? I do now we ride in our suits and then wear the jacket as a winter jacket 

Don't remember that part .... when we were kids we sat by the fire when we went ice fishing .... we smellled more like pine sol and forest fire smoke than exhaust .... but yeah, they stunk .... lol !!!

Don't remember that part .... when we were kids we sat by the fire when we went ice fishing .... we smellled more like pine sol and forest fire smoke than exhaust .... but yeah, they stunk .... lol !!!

Every now and then I end up testing an old sled they arecool for about fifty feet then give me back the new iron

I would second that.

A good way to get young families out to enjoy an activity, I'm sure a lot of can remember being taken out or taking out our young families, but not having a lot of $$$ to heavily commit.............

My son loves the 340! I was always taken out as a kid & absolutely loved it!

88 is vintage? try seventies . As for being taken out as a kid right on ! It is a great idea to ride as a family.

Yes 70's & 80's are vintage, like someone else said...they're has to be a cut off point like before 80-85's. I dont care what the cut off point is as I will always have my 88 on the trail. But this is all just a thought for new comers and young families.

Thought we were talking about sledding! Triangle would be perfect for a vintage permit...lol

I was using the license plates and golf cart as a comparison in other type vehicles. the triangle won't be doing anything different than the rest of the province. My previous post came after being told that the GTSA has cut back on grooming because district 5 is running low on funds for fuel and grooming. This is happening at the middle of February. We could easily have another 3-4 weeks riding here in the south this year and yet we are apparently running out of money for grooming.

You could have purchased classic permits early for a substanial savings but even at those prices, here we are low on funds.

I just don't see how cutting prices any further is going to help this situation. We are going to have to pay more for permits to keep this thing going especially if we get more winters like this one. It is no different than any other sport. You can blame it on overhead at Barrie or whatever else you like but those items can only be cut so much. I believe that the OFSC executive should be congratulated on having the wherewithal to make the changes they have this year.

if the OFSC can't make a profit on a $60 permit maybe they need to cut back on staff overhead costs.

Its not the OFSC we're concerned about. The clubs learned a long time ago that you can't keep groomers running with $60 permits or even $100.

Go to a meeting and find out how much of a permit dollar has to go to insurance. Thats what's really killing the sport is the liability involved. 1.41 diesel not helping to much either

Its not the OFSC we're concerned about. The clubs learned a long time ago that you can't keep groomers running with $60 permits or even $100.

groomers wouldn't be running at all if you had to rely on vintage sled riders.

I used to put full season permits on three vintage sleds a number of years ago.

I got so tired of the total disrespect shown by cowboys on the new sleds every time we ere out for a rides that I will not likely ever buy a trail permit for any of my vintage sleds again.

They seem to relish in blowing by us at twice the trail speed limit, roostering at us when they did get in front of us. Crude remarks at club houses, the list goes on. We were doing at least trail speed limit in almost all cases as well.

Why would I invest money to be faced with that kind of stuff? It wasn't just once or twice either and was in many different areas. 

Wasn't as bad if we were riding with guys riding newer sleds but mostly when my wife and I were on our own.

There were, thankfully, some that did appreciate the fact we were riding vintage sleds and enjoying the trails but they were not in the majority.

I have put a trail permit on my 2010 Tundra the first year that I bought it and went to the local club house for wing night once. Otherwise, didn't have time to ride.

Back when they had the one day permit, I hosted a number of Vintage trail rides. One was actually on Snowtrax when John M was still around but we didn't do it on OFSC trails but on local trails as the OFSC trails were closed due to water on the trails.

Several other years, We did venture out as a group on the OFSC trails in and around Tiverton/Kincardine areas and had a good ride.

The OFSC decided to drop the one day permit and that pretty much killed any plans for Vintage rides on the trails.

I actually lobbied the OFSC to bring in a Vintage permit with a 30 years or older cut off. Sat with Paul Shagnessy and Mike Farr at the office in Barrie. They said it wouldn't fly but that they thought they could suggest a special events permit to cover a broader range of sleds for limited riding opportunities.

So, low and behold, the next year arrives the Special Events permit. Better than nothing but with the up front planning the OFSC club had to do to have permits available and return those not sold, it wasn't a popular option.

A few years later comes the Classic permit which reflected pretty much what had been proposed for the Vintage permit but with a different cut off year.

You can use the arguments all you want about extra grooming required from more Vintage sleds on the trails and so on but in a time when volunteer base is dwindling, sometimes you need to look beyond the $$ amount of the permit and look at what it may do to help the volunteer base.

Something to keep in mind, Vintage collectors don't need the OFSC or their trail system to enjoy the hobby. They have many other opportunities that quite frankly are better suited to their desire for being in the hobby. They are not, for the most part looking to ride every day for hundreds of miles to justify the money they have invested in their sleds. Getting together, going for a bit of a ride and having a trail side meet or at a club house and that is a good day for most.

Also remember that in the 70s, grooming was an option that many clubs didn't have and we still went out and rode and enjoyed the day. Many more families were involved then than there are now.

You want to look at how the trails get so ripped up? I think you all know and it's not Vintage sleds.

So, in reality, who needs who?

Here are some pictures of past rides I organized.

picture+one+116.jpg

picture+one+121.jpg

Elan+Gang+2007.JPG

Awesome!!! I went for a ride today with the guys...11 of us in total. It was a blast!!! I wish I had taken some pictures. We all ride yamahas, so we were riding enticers from 79-88. Awesome day! Looks like you guys have your fun as well on the old skidoos!

88 is vintage? try seventies . As for being taken out as a kid right on ! It is a great idea to ride as a family.

Right on, had my two grand kids here from Kitchener this Family Day Weekend and they really enjoyed their first runs on Saturday and Sunday. Trails were superb, weather sunny and cool and great fun and lunch at The Portage on Saturday with 10 year old Mitchell doing 120 Kms and lunch on Sunday at The Dinner Bell with 90 Kms with Michaela.

Thanks to the a Groomer Operators from both North Bay SC and Bonfield SC for grooming A2, A and BF201. 3 deer on BF201 was added bonus.

picture+one+121.jpg

That picture is a keeper.  Actually all the pics are nice.  My first sled was a 1970 Sno Prince.  LOL   The good old days.  They have come a long way with the sport and I am not complaining.  But man did we ever have fun on the old ones.  Keep up the good work and it sucks to hear that you guys are treated so ignorantly when on the trails.  That should not happen EVER.  P.S.  I still miss that guy.

Do you know how many vintage sleds I saw on the trail yesterday?! I see vintage all the time out there..and yes, people will spend less on the sled, you don't need a $1000 suit to go sleddin...

I saw lots of what are classics out there but sure didn't see what this thread started out with as vintage being 30 to 40 year old sleds. Nobody said $1000.00 suit but by the time you add up the suit the boots the gloves the helmet and the trailer unless you are going to ride from your back door you need a trailer and most don't fall into that category you already have more than the cost of the proposed $500 to $1000 suggested for the sled.

If that 30 to 40 year old sled was my intro to the sport I probably would have quit real soon after the horribly stiff ride, the break downs and more.

Exact;y the kind of remarks we have come to expect.

No problem, we get it, you don't like Vintage sleds. Point taken. 

I can't tell you how many calls we get a year to bring our old sleds out and put on a show at some function that snowmobile clubs are having.

I used to organize a big one at the Science Hill Drifter's BBQ for many years.

You want to know what killed it and why I won't do shows for snowmobile clubs anymore?

Mostly ignorant people who seemed to think, even though we were invited guests, that we were nothing but a nuisance and took up all the parking lot space that "other" people couldn't park in. Guess what, we were there all day, showing our sleds and wanted to sit down and enjoy a nice steak dinner along with everyone else. The old crank that was looking after the parking made that nearly impossible so it was pretty much a unanimous decision by all the brought their restored, some very rare, vintage sleds to put on display as invited guests said, nope, not going back with that kind of attitude.

So please make your pitch as to why you don't like Vintage sleds, no problem, nothing we haven't already heard. Do not complain though when you can get volunteers to help you out.

I have nothing against the OFSC and the many great snowmobilers in the province but I do not need to tolerate ignorant people. 

By the way, you should be glad that all the over 200 manufacturers of snowmobiles in the 70s did what they did as well as those that rode them or you would not have what you enjoy riding now. It's called progress. 

As far as I am concerned, there is no need for a separate vintage trail pass. I think the classic permit needs a cut off date change and be done with it. It should not be 15 years, it should be at least 25 which right now would take us back to 1989 and older.

Personally, I'm still not likely to trail permit any of my vintage sleds again but others still are interested. I have some very nice local trails I can ride right from my driveway and we don't have to worry about the throttle jockeys that are out on the "trails".

I don't dislike vintage sleds and like you think that is what the classic is for. I also think like you that the classic should be more like 20 yrs than 15

True vintage sleds are cool but the idea that a year long permit for $60.00 will save the sport is flawed. Simply put there is a huge cost to making the trails and the loss of income from reducing the cost of passes will not be replaced with enough extra permit sales. I remember those days they are where I started but at the same time the sleds did not last,they broke down and likely it was my 1970 Olympic and my brothers 1970 Moto Ski Zepher that made me a mechanic to start with.

We have a free weekend that the old iron is out on we were watching it roll by the shop and enjoying it all the comments that I heard were positive and complimentary and we often go out of our way to help find parts for old sleds I even keep an extensive collection of old cat parts.

This sport has many sides and a heritage that makes it cool. Honestly the classic pass pre december 1st is a bargain for even the older sleds.   

Archived