Vintage pass

Baylaker

I'm not sure this has been brought up already or not, but I think the ofsc should come up with a vintage trail pass. I know they have a classic pass after 15yrs you get a bit of a discount....so why not make a vintage pass??? Say 25-30yrs...maybe for $75-$100. What are your thoughts on this? I think it would attract more people to get into the sport as a cheaper alternative.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should do away with the classic trail pass and have one pass for everyone. Having cheaper passes just puts more people on the trail to beat them up at a discount while the majority have to pick up the tab. Our trails are generally so good now that riding an old sled for lots of miles is not a hardship like it used to be. Another alternative would be to put restrictions on when you can be on the trail with a reduced cost pass. Maybe midweek only. If you want weekend use then buy a full cost pass. To say these classic of vintage sleds will not see the use is false. The kids will be on these sleds and pound the miles on in a season. I pay full cost for my wife's sled and she has about 80 miles on it this season and won't likely be putting much more on. We can't afford to keep giving money away. We still don't know the effects of the $30 reduction from this year's discount.

The people with brand new sleds can obviously afford it. The whole point is to get more people involved and I think offering a cheaper alternative would be a good start. Your still going to have your regular sledders paying full cost anyways. Not saying they won't see the use, I have already put on more miles on my 88 enticer than my 700 srx. I really don't think the trails will get beat up thag bad either....vintage sleds don't have much for a track or much for power. If anyone Is beating up the trails, it's the the young punks who hammer down at every stop with a 2" paddle track and leave a mound of snow for someone to hit....idk, just thought it might be an idea for a family or someone just getting into the sport...they'll eventually upgrade;)

I'm all for a vintage sled pass say for any sled before 1980. Make it $60 and who knows you might sell a bunch.

would get a lot more out to vintage shows and rides I'm sure.

I'm all for a vintage sled pass say for any sled before 1980. Make it $60 and who knows you might sell a bunch.

would get a lot more out to vintage shows and rides I'm sure.

We already have a vintage permit. Its called a classic. How many more dam permits do we need?

I can almost guarantee they would sell lots! I think $100 is fair...$60 would be better! Lol vintage and classic are different, so would you be calling my 2000 srx a vintage or a classic then??? I'm talking vintage...sleds that are between 30-40yrs old...those are called vintage not a classic.

We already have a vintage permit. Its called a classic. How many more dam permits do we need?

there is a lot of difference between classic and vintage

the problem is income versus expense

absolutely, if the OFSC can't make money on a $ 60 vintage permit there is no point.

I just like the idea of offering a low floor permit for pre 1980 vintage iron. The vintage sled hobby is quite different from regular snowmobiling and should be looked at differently.

I can almost guarantee they would sell lots! I think $100 is fair...$60 would be better! Lol vintage and classic are different, so would you be calling my 2000 srx a vintage or a classic then??? I'm talking vintage...sleds that are between 30-40yrs old...those are called vintage not a classic.

Do you get a three tierd system for car license plates? Do you get a discount at the golf course if you have an old golf cart?

The reality here is that we need alot of money to keep this thing going. Sixty dollar permits or even one hundred dollar permits will not provide much on trail revenue when you subtract the cost of producing, distributing and the bookkeeping that goes with each permit. More sleds on the trail = more grooming and therefore higher costs. This is a user pay system and IMHO we have a good balance with the 2 permit types now. As a trail patrol volunteer I have learned to deal with a rectangular and a round permit. What's next, a triangle?

Do you get a three tierd system for car license plates? Do you get a discount at the golf course if you have an old golf cart?

The reality here is that we need alot of money to keep this thing going. Sixty dollar permits or even one hundred dollar permits will not provide much on trail revenue when you subtract the cost of producing, distributing and the bookkeeping that goes with each permit. More sleds on the trail = more grooming and therefore higher costs. This is a user pay system and IMHO we have a good balance with the 2 permit types now. As a trail patrol volunteer I have learned to deal with a rectangular and a round permit. What's next, a triangle?

if the OFSC can't make a profit on a $60 permit maybe they need to cut back on staff overhead costs.

absolutely, if the OFSC can't make money on a $ 60 vintage permit there is no point.

I just like the idea of offering a low floor permit for pre 1980 vintage iron. The vintage sled hobby is quite different from regular snowmobiling and should be looked at differently.

our cost on insurance is more than that per season permit thank the courts 

why am I not surprised. Well that's the end of that lol

Thought we were talking about sledding! Triangle would be perfect for a vintage permit...lol

Not true, the insurance us less then $60.

Original there was a plan for a vintage snowmobile, 30 years and older. The price was a full season permit for a after December 1 price and you will get a plate and is vallid for lifetime. It isn't for getting money in the pockets of the OFSC but to keep them involved in snowmobiling. Most owners of vintage sleds have also another sled. I think it is time to get this plan presented at the 2014 AGM.

I think it will attract many new sledders who want to get into snowmobiling, but can't afford a $2-3k sled. You can buy these older vintage sleds for $300-$700 in running order. They hardly make a dent in the trails as they don't have the power or lugs to dig trenches like all these newer sleds. Ya there will be more people on the trails, that's what it's all about isn't it? To get more people involved & interested in the sport....as we all know, snowmobiling is very expensive (rich mans sport) and these vintage sleds are cheap in every way! I think it's a good idea as well to present it.

I don't really think that someone getting into sledding is going to hang their decision on the cost of the sled being $700 vs $2500. Are you really going to spend less on the sled than you will on the suit, boots, gloves, helmet and most likely trailer. The sense I get is that most of these vintage sleds are owned by people who buy a project and restore it rather than buy it as their daily sled.

Be careful what you think of vintage sleds.  If I still had my old TX 340 or TX-L 340, I GUARANTEE that I'd put twice the miles on it, as I do on my 670.  Hell, the wife and I did 140 km's yesterday, she rode the '90 Cheyenne all day long.   How much damage you think she did with a 503 single carb ?  One paddle track runs the trail and ruins 3 feet wide of trail for the entire length that it runs.  Then it vibrates the fillings outta my teeth when I'm stuck following its track.

Wanna have riders on the trails, can't gripe about who you allow.  Wanna save the trails ?  You gotta eliminate paddle tracks and idiots.  

Good luck with that.

A vintage pass wouldn't be for introducing new riders to the sport.

It's allowing the hobbiest vintage collectors to use the trails and generate a little more money for the OFSC.

I don't really think that someone getting into sledding is going to hang their decision on the cost of the sled being $700 vs $2500. Are you really going to spend less on the sled than you will on the suit, boots, gloves, helmet and most likely trailer. The sense I get is that most of these vintage sleds are owned by people who buy a project and restore it rather than buy it as their daily sled.

Do you know how many vintage sleds I saw on the trail yesterday?! I see vintage all the time out there..and yes, people will spend less on the sled, you don't need a $1000 suit to go sleddin...

A vintage pass wouldn't be for introducing new riders to the sport.

It's allowing the hobbiest vintage collectors to use the trails and generate a little more money for the OFSC.

Whether it's introducing or for the hobbiest or whoever...I've put almost 1000km on my 88 340 enticer this season. After yesterday's ride on the srx I'm up to about 525km. They do not smoke bad...no more than any other 2stroke. I haven't laid a wrench to it yet this season either. The srx on the other hand, well let's not go there! Lol

well I am a vintage sled rider...have 2 70's Sno Jets...I just hit 1000 miles this year on my 77 SST.. ..you would not even know I was on the trails ,  no trail damage or wear...I know most vintage sled guys sure do not but on 1000 miles plus a year but they would like to get out a few times a year on the trail....they would do it for $100 perhaps but surely not for $240....its funny, people say, need more people into the sport, get more involved but then say more sledders will bogg up trails and wear them out...I do agree that a 1997 vmax 700 should not be able to get a classic sled pass although if I could I would not complain........I think it should be cut off at say 1980, maybe 85....wanna stop trail damage and wear, stop the idiots from going full throttle on every corner and road crossing or stop making 1000 cc plus sleds...Diceman

Be careful what you think of vintage sleds. If I still had my old TX 340 or TX-L 340, I GUARANTEE that I'd put twice the miles on it, as I do on my 670. Hell, the wife and I did 140 km's yesterday, she rode the '90 Cheyenne all day long. How much damage you think she did with a 503 single carb ? One paddle track runs the trail and ruins 3 feet wide of trail for the entire length that it runs. Then it vibrates the fillings outta my teeth when I'm stuck following its track.

Wanna have riders on the trails, can't gripe about who you allow. Wanna save the trails ? You gotta eliminate paddle tracks and idiots.

Good luck with that.

Exactly!!! But we gotta groom more if we allow more "vintage" sleds on the trail remember;)

Archived