Vintage pass

Baylaker

I saw lots of what are classics out there but sure didn't see what this thread started out with as vintage being 30 to 40 year old sleds. Nobody said $1000.00 suit but by the time you add up the suit the boots the gloves the helmet and the trailer unless you are going to ride from your back door you need a trailer and most don't fall into that category you already have more than the cost of the proposed $500 to $1000 suggested for the sled.

If that 30 to 40 year old sled was my intro to the sport I probably would have quit real soon after the horribly stiff ride, the break downs and more.

there's lots of people out there that can sled right from their doorstep...especially with the winter were having now.

The only sleds I saw broken down on the trails Saturday were all newer doos and one cat. About 4-5 of them. Newer sleds break all the time...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill makes a good point.  I'm tickled to save a ton of coin on my 2 Classics,  but in all fairness I think 20 years makes more sense than 15 as a cutoff point.  That would make my 4 generations old body style S- chassis in with current sleds, but hey, it's the price you pay.  As for the current 15 year cutoff, anyone with an older sled can ride for cheap all season long, which is more than fair.

I'd slap a pass on an Olympic or TX if I had one that was mechanically trail worthy, just for spits and giggles, maybe it would start a trend.  Nothing wrong with riding an old leaf spring sled once in a while, it'd turn heads and get people talking.  Yeah they ride bad, but not on a groomed trail, it's like driving down the street.  Wouldn't do a 100 km ride, but a little loop around town, would be fun.  I like vintage sleds.

I don't dislike vintage sleds and like you think that is what the classic is for. I also think like you that the classic should be more like 20 yrs than 15

Yup, because there is a good number of 15 year old sleds that can ride all day with no problem. Hell I'd trust my 96 380 on a long ride over my 04 GSX500 any day.

The reason I got back into the sport 4 years ago was because of the classic permit. I purposely bought a sled that was 15 years old to see if I was going to enjoy snowmobiling like I did 30 years ago as a kid. 2 years later I bought a newer sled and love riding, 3200 k's so far this year.  If I would have had to get a 25 year old sled to get the classic pass I would not have done it, guaranteed!! Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the vintage sleds on the trail (I ride with Diceman and his 77 Snow Jet) but it's not for me. 

True vintage sleds are cool but the idea that a year long permit for $60.00 will save the sport is flawed. Simply put there is a huge cost to making the trails and the loss of income from reducing the cost of passes will not be replaced with enough extra permit sales. I remember those days they are where I started but at the same time the sleds did not last,they broke down and likely it was my 1970 Olympic and my brothers 1970 Moto Ski Zepher that made me a mechanic to start with.

We have a free weekend that the old iron is out on we were watching it roll by the shop and enjoying it all the comments that I heard were positive and complimentary and we often go out of our way to help find parts for old sleds I even keep an extensive collection of old cat parts.

This sport has many sides and a heritage that makes it cool. Honestly the classic pass pre december 1st is a bargain for even the older sleds.

I tend to agree with you Bill,but I have 13 vintage sleds and I will not buy a classic pass for each of them when I can only ride one at a time.I might consider 1 for my newest vintage (1977)that I used as my touring sled until 2000.

I realise that every sled on the trails increases grooming intervals,but I can't justify the cost of trail permits and insurance for each one.

I believe next year with the "framework for change" program, there is talk of new permit and payment options...so we'll see what happens. $60 a permit isn't enough, like I said I think a $100 is fair. You can't keep charging more for a pass, the idea is to get more people involved in the sport...not scare them away.

Archived