Zrtkat and Crew made it to WAWA

zrtkat

Good eve from Wawa we made good time today from Hearst to Wawa thanks to all the Groomed trails it was a very cold start this morning but we managed to get through the cold start,the trails out of hearst are awesome ,D108A is just as good low traffic on trails never had a sled coming at us all the way from Hearst,

Was planning on stopping for coffee after the fuel up at the esso in Hornepayne ,last time there ,there was a restuaraunt across the street now it has a for-sale sign on it, so we decided to head towards Dubreileville ,get gas ,stop see the Groomer Guy and push on to wawa.

We stopped and had coffee with the Groomer guy and pushed on ,well we took the Magpie bad mistake rough Zrtkat could barely hold on he thought he was on a boat fishing lol.

Well we Made Wawa around 6 pm in our room and relaxing getting ready for dinner and another day of riding zrtkats sled is reading 1700 miles so far this loop I think this is going to be the longest loop for zrtkat and crew.

will up-date from Chapleau tommorrow eve

Goodnite from Wawa

HearsttoWawa002_zpsde0a15bb.jpg

HearsttoWawa003_zps4035f8f5.jpg

HearsttoWawa004_zps80991264.jpg

HearsttoWawa004_zps80991264.jpg

HearsttoWawa005_zps44edde8f.jpg

HearsttoWawa009_zpsfcea844e.jpg

HearsttoWawa011_zps2e528453.jpg

HearsttoWawa012_zps84e5bfbc.jpg

HearsttoWawa014_zpsf950f9ab.jpg

HearsttoWawa015_zps9b0deb8a.jpg

Thanks for the continued updates.  Trails look great.  We'll be out that way in about 10 days.  I recommend Valentine Farms in Chapleau.

Have a safe rest of your trip.   I love the pic of the Cats.

Thanks for the continued updates.  Trails look great.  We'll be out that way in about 10 days.  I recommend Valentine Farms in Chapleau.

Have a safe rest of your trip.   I love the pic of the Cats.

Thanks AkronOrange

hope you have a great trip like we are having

Greg

great pics & report again...one day i'll get to the quickee mart,cool room,.,,thx

awesome report as always. say hi to Ernie for us tomorrow. eat a light breakfast, and then pig out at lunch, with an ernie burger and fries for us. :D

dog lake was a little rough last week (and slushy) but, it is only 4-5 miles. enjoy tomorrow. looks like you guys timed the trip right.... warm up comming for end of next week. predicting close to 50* for highs for us, might be warmer down by you guys. Ski

What is "rough" about the lakes?

You mentioned feeling like a boat.

Is the snow drifted up like waves?

We had the fields around here pilled up like that a cpl weeks ago. 

Not sure I ever seen it quite like that before. I imagine it was OK to ride east, but going west would prolly have been brutal.

Slush - even this yr eh?

And with the cold temps all along?

I guess that is a testament to the depth of the snow eh?

Might not be a good yr to run the rivers?

(Save that for a low snow yr)

You must be heading to F trail tomorrow?

I would highly suggest that you run up Manitowik Lake tomorrow on your way to Ernies!

I'm guessing that if you were comfortable enough with the Magpie - then Manitowik and Dog lakes should be an acceptable ride?

I have only been through there once - and it has been many yrs ago now - but I think that Manitowik has a much more "Big Country" and closed in feeling than the Magpie. Have camera at the ready while tooling through there! 

When you git to the N end of Wanitowik, there is a portage on the east side of the north shore. 

Then you bounce up to Dog and then run that up to Ernies and trail F.

I really think that is a very worthwhile trip to doo at least once.

The trail to the lakes is at Hawk Jctn. If you take the trail on the small hydro line - that will take you to Dubre. The lakes trail is clockwise around Hawk Lake a little more and goes past the sub station and into the bush.

My '13 map here barely shows the spur trail - and it is in tan/orange.

As with any dammed up waterway - always be carefull of not overdriving your eyeballs as you could have ice-shrooms or heaves. 

I don't know if Dog Lake fluctuates or not? Pretty sure that it flows into Manitowik just west of the portage. (the "narrows" are said to be open water usually) 

Missinabi Lake flows N and starts the Arctic Watershed and drains into James Bay at Moosonee. 

Been 10 yrs since I was there, so if the info is outdated - someone pipe up!

Looks like Wawa Motor Inn

Ox that may indeed be outdated info about the portage from Manitowic over to Dog. My son and I did that loop two years ago and rode up manitowic looking for that route. Found a local ice fishing in the bay up near the narrows. Was told it had not been opened for past few years. Too bad because as you say manitowic is awesome and dog is an awesome lake to tour as well. Beautiful area for sure, hope to make it back.

Where did you stay in Wawa and how did you like it?

sledjunk is right we are at the wawa motor inn at the log village rooms nice place ,nice rooms

zrtkat

the wind is blowing here in wawa looks like light snow falling,time to get some coffee

the portage on maintouwak is there but, you have to find it. when we were there a week ago, Ernie said no one had "opened" it up yet. the hardest part of the whole journey will be cutting the portage from manitouiwak to dog lake. it is about 1-2kms. then dog lake is not staked until you get to the middle grounds so, if you dont know where you are, or where you're going... it can be a tough time.

the roughness is windblown drifting, frozen tracks, and slush all together acting as one entity to make it a "rough" ride.

later in the spring when the snows start receeding, the rivers and lakes will be awesome.

it is an awesome route and great scenery but, it is better left for when you have time, or have a "tour guide" that has been there/done that. when you are touring town to town and trying to make a destination 200 miles away, it can put a dent in your plans trying an "adventure" on the route.

Ski

awesome report as always. say hi to Ernie for us tomorrow. eat a light breakfast, and then pig out at lunch, with an ernie burger and fries for us. :D

dog lake was a little rough last week (and slushy) but, it is only 4-5 miles. enjoy tomorrow. looks like you guys timed the trip right.... warm up comming for end of next week. predicting close to 50* for highs for us, might be warmer down by you guys. Ski

Ski

that is our plan for today ,take it easy head to ernies for burgers and have a great day

windy here today

Greg

Have a great day zrtkat crew.

Leaf thanks

looks like winter outside this morning heading up the stairs for breakfast

wawa005_zps76517580.jpg

wawa006_zps6f6fa954.jpg

wawa003_zps20630901.jpg

Have a great day

Zrtkat and Crew

The Wawa sno riders have followed your trip and had all the trails groomed for you guys.....I was shocked to see no tracks coming in from dub. Last night at 7 pm. Never thought you would take magpie shortcut!!!! Ouch!!! The only lake rougher is maintouwak do NOT go that way!!!!!! Head south from wawa on trail,stop at Jones,take trail 5 over to D north,head to hawk then Ernie's ....call him first

The Wawa sno riders have followed your trip and had all the trails groomed for you guys.....I was shocked to see no tracks coming in from dub. Last night at 7 pm. Never thought you would take magpie shortcut!!!! Ouch!!! The only lake rougher is maintouwak do NOT go that way!!!!!! Head south from wawa on trail,stop at Jones,take trail 5 over to D north,head to hawk then Ernie's ....call him first

sled2nr

just looked at map and have our route planned like you said ,do not want to start the day out on rough trails, last night on the magpie was enough for me for the rest of our trip

thanks again for the help.

ernie he will be open today ?????

Greg

ZRTKAT is ready to go soon he is back from breakfast and coffee, ready to roll out and hit the trail this morning

greg001_zps8f1f455d.jpg

They finally took a pic of zrtkat :icon_photo:

looks like it might be hard to see the trail today with wind and snowing

have a great day heading to Ernies for lunch

zrtkat

are you guys running regular or premium in the sleds? having any issues finding premium besides the 2nd day adventure? Ski

Lots of snow in the forcast Greg, stay on the trail(no shortcuts)lol. Call ernies before you go,then you dont have to track him down to open up. The route south out of wawa to get to hawk is maybe 20-30 minutes longer but no lakes to run and is a sweet trail. Hope the snowstorm doesnt mess you guys up to bad

are you guys running regular or premium in the sleds? having any issues finding premium besides the 2nd day adventure? Ski

There is premium somewhere in the north?

Where - Hearst?

My chumm that has an M version of his 4 stroke there hauls his own gas out west.

He might be comming up with us ina  few weeks, but I think that he will bring one of his 2 stroke Doo's up there. ???

BTW - his '13 didn't want to shift into Rev right once already. "Zingggggg"

Now he's spooked. Had his '12 fixed and said that it never screwed up after that.

The lakes are very bad and we found ourselves going 15 to 20 mph on Dog Lake.  Very large and HARD drifts.  No good in any direction. 

Premium not found at Black Creek, Windy Lake, Dub.  The other stops on our 1600 mile loop last Wednesday to Sunday all had premium.  Not finding gas for long distances along A Trail running north was the most frightening. 

Lots of snow in the forcast Greg, stay on the trail(no shortcuts)lol. Call ernies before you go,then you dont have to track him down to open up. The route south out of wawa to get to hawk is maybe 20-30 minutes longer but no lakes to run and is a sweet trail. Hope the snowstorm doesnt mess you guys up to bad

sled2nr

snowing pretty good this morning in Wawa , made it too ernies just caught him before he was leaving had a great lunch

trails where great in Wawa as usual

Greg

Ski

we are running premium when available, when not we are running Lucas octane booster in our turbos when premium is not available, the Ski-doo is running premium when available or he just runs regular no problem.

most bigger towns all have premium available

Greg

Archived