Drinking at the club house...

Redfisher

All I know is when the cops came into St Clements club house a few years ago, the place was empty in a mater of minutes! People were literallly running to thier sleds. Think everyone would be in a hurry if they only had one beer? It was funny!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what St. Thomas has but St. Clements Snowmobile Club house is a licensed establishment. It like the Moombeam clubhouse is not your typical clubhouse. It is a brick/ steel building and a pretty nice place with washrooms, kitchen, satelitte TV, great food and oil heat. It is accessible at all times by car (fire dept.access is required in order to be licensed). The large parking lot provides a staging location for lots of trailering daytrippers or weekenders. It is open Friday night / Saturdays/ Sundays when the trails are open if there are volunteer staff available.There is always at least one volunteer with SIP training on staff when the clubhouse is open. You can see pictures on their website at www.stclementssnowmobileclub.com. I can tell you that for a couple of years about 15 years ago, it was open unlicensed and very few sledders came in. Once it was licensed again the crowds came back. We have wing night fundraisers the first Friday of each month and when there is enough snow to ride to wing night the police (with the clubs blessing) usually have a stop set up not too far away. The police often stop in to eat and chat when they are out on patrol and the clubhouse is open. From what I have seen in the last 8-10 years, sledders come in and eat and some of them may have one drink but few have more than that. Many only come in to eat and/or warm up but the reality IMHO is that if it didn't have the license this particular clubhouse would not be open for food and warmup because it wouldn't exist.

By the way, I would like to personally thank all the volunteers who work hard to make our clubhouse a destination for many daytrippers in our area of Southwestern Ontario.

Ok. I don't care if they have one or two beer. The zero tolerance is not realistic. I think it should follow the same rules as if you were driving your car.

Obviously not everyone is getting the message about don't drink and drive.

Hopefully, one day they will and before something bad happens.

having a couplke along the way is no big deal. By a couple I mean just that, one or two every few hours at a stop. never getting beyond the warning limit is just fine. littering is not, nor is drinking to the point of being drunk and riding. it is perfectly legal to have a BAC of 0.04 and ride, and nobody is impaired at that level as it is about two beers over an hour.

All I know is when the cops came into St Clements club house a few years ago, the place was empty in a mater of minutes! People were literallly running to thier sleds. Think everyone would be in a hurry if they only had one beer? It was funny!

I call BULLSHIT!!!

Cannot find the emoticon with the popcorn...lol

I can't even say that word!

Sadly the whole forum loses creditability with "I heard" and other incredibly stupid comments. Accuracy and factual information is what we pride ourselves on.

Remember folks, anyone can ready many of these posts. 

I can't even say that word!

That's funny!

Sadly the whole forum loses creditability with "I heard" and other incredibly stupid comments. Accuracy and factual information is what we pride ourselves on.

Remember folks, anyone can ready many of these posts. 

Most will be able to see through the BS!

having a couplke along the way is no big deal. By a couple I mean just that, one or two every few hours at a stop. never getting beyond the warning limit is just fine. littering is not, nor is drinking to the point of being drunk and riding. it is perfectly legal to have a BAC of 0.04 and ride, and nobody is impaired at that level as it is about two beers over an hour.

That's incorrect my friend. Those are for people on the road with their G license and over 21. On sleds it is zero tolerance, believe it or not.

That's incorrect my friend. Those are for people on the road with their G license and over 21. On sleds it is zero tolerance, believe it or not.

I wish it was zero tolerance. Just a bunch of guys getting away from their wives and kids to go drink and litter at the trail rest spot...just awful

I wish it was zero tolerance. Just a bunch of guys getting away from their wives and kids to go drink and litter at the trail rest spot...just awful

Personally I don't. Up north it's great for the economy and really one or two beers does not effect your judgement. I've been through a few ride programs on the trail and glad I followed the rules though.

I will not drink until the keys are put away and prefer to ride with folks who do the same.  There are enough surprises when riding that any impairment it too much, IMO. 

I will not drink until the keys are put away and prefer to ride with folks who do the same.  There are enough surprises when riding that any impairment it too much, IMO. 

Exactly.

Same here SJ ,wisers and coke when the keys are put away 

Exactly!!!

Wrong, there is no zero tolerance with sleds, boats or any other vehicle, it is all the same under the criminal code.

I call BULLSHIT!!!

It is completely true. Ask some of the old timers. The place was packed cops came in and within minutes the place was empty. A guy even gave me his wings.

I drink coke at lunch and after riding then a cold beer and maybe another

I drink coke too, but I added rum!

pretty dumb to lose license

So many people don't make the connection and realize that the same laws about drinking and driving apply to drinking and sledding. A couple of weeks ago the news covered the OPP receiving a call that a snowmobiler was in distress on an OFSC trail. When they got there they found a guy totally hammered. He was charged, the sled impounded and his licence suspended. The scary part for me is that this fool was on one of the trails I ride often and could have easily run into someone including me.

Ok. I don't care if they have one or two beer. The zero tolerance is not realistic. I think it should follow the same rules as if you were driving your car.

It does follow the same rules as driving your car.... .05 and .08 thresholds. The amount I have seen some drink in Sprucedale and Bala for example and then get on their sleds is acutally scary. Very few people who have drank too much realize they have and actually believe they are in fine shape to ride or drive when they aren't. I remember one coming out of from lunch in not the best of shape, getting on the wrong sled and cursing because he couldn't get the key to turn and then being really upset when the OPP came over to see what all the fuss was about. Fortunately he didn't get to ride any further that day. How can someone especially with responsibilities like a family that depends on you be so irresponsible.

Years ago I had gone for a ride with a friend to the Sesekinika Inn from K.L. for supper.  I had a couple of beers with the meal and couldn't believe how insecure I felt afterwards when we got out on the trail, knowing I had too much to drink.  Not long after (a week or 2) one of the local dealership owners smashed up his sled and badly injured himself coming home on the same trail from the same restaurant.  I SOOOooooo badly wanted to go to the hospital to visit him with a six pack, put it on his bed and tell him "Have another one, you asshat.." or something similar.  Great example you're setting to others.

I had an incident a few years later involving alcohol and sleds (minor injuries only and 2 sleds totalled), and will never touch the stuff again, with the exception of MAYBE one beer.  I've had other close calls in my younger days, I'm not proud of those moments.  Dad drank heavily for years, back in the day when we'd go ice fishing with all his brothers, make a big bonfire, the men would fish and drink, we'd sip wine from the wineskin (kids, remember) and rip around the lake on the parents' sleds.  Maybe it's in our blood, I don't know.  

Nothing wrong with having a few beers around the firepit at the lake after work with friends, but I think if I ever came upon an accident/incident with someone drunk I'd be strongly urged to kick the living snot out of them before leaving them to their damages, then call the cops.  Maybe that's what it would take for some people to get the message to quit drinking.  Too many times I watched dad drink heavily and drive too fast with us in the car.

Archived