Two More BRP Ontario Dealers Gone

revrnd

Not sure if this is an old or new development

I was passing thru Dwight yesterday & saw a "moving sale" over the Lakeland Motorsports sign. I think there was a couple of sleds or Sea-doos parked out front. I Googled their name & the website is dead. Checking ski-doo's website & they aren't listed nor is Old Mill on Kawagama. Old Mill's website makes no mention of BRP.

Nearest dealers are Northland in Utterson & Harper in Minden. 

I was passing thru Dwight yesterday & saw a "moving sale" over the Lakeland Motorsports sign. I think there was a couple of sleds or Sea-doos parked out front. I Googled their name & the website is dead. Checking ski-doo's website & they aren't listed nor is Old Mill on Kawagama. Old Mill's website makes no mention of BRP.

You are correct revrnd. Both Lakeland and Old Mill lost their BRP thing before last winter.

Lakeland is pretty much done which is a good thing.

Did you notice that the Beacon on the corner has Shell gas and Diesel? Busy there each time I have gone by.

Unfortunately Lakeland suffered like most dealers of the north do.When lack of qualified technicians drops and the level of service suffers it's only a matter of time .Its actually a shame as based on their location it should be a gold mine.Trail access and water sports business you'd think would keep them alive.The seasonal world of recreational sports sometimes is unfair to those trying to run a business

I was wondering how their move from Huntsville over to Dwight would go. At the time Old Mill was on Kawagama Lake. The 2 places were a bit close IMO.

I was passing thru Dwight yesterday & saw a "moving sale" over the Lakeland Motorsports sign. I think there was a couple of sleds or Sea-doos parked out front. I Googled their name & the website is dead. Checking ski-doo's website & they aren't listed nor is Old Mill on Kawagama. Old Mill's website makes no mention of BRP.

And Giesler's in Powassan. The loss of both Lakeland and Old Mill leaves a big geographic hole in BRP's dealer network, in terms of northern Haliburton, and northeastern Muskoka, and especially along the Hwy. 11 corridor...at the moment, there's no BRP dealer between Orillia and Powassan, a distance of almost 190 kms. Northland is farther west...almost 30 minutes' drive west off Hwy. 11, much of it on twisty secondary roads.

Lakeland hasn't been a BRP dealer for about 18 months. It is my understanding that they are not out of business at all...just not a franchised BRP dealer anymore. They are continuing to operate as a powersports/marine repair shop, and also continue to offer boat storage. And they are apparently not closing, but are looking at a move back to Huntsville.

And Giesler's in Powassan. The loss of both Lakeland and Old Mill leaves a big geographic hole in BRP's dealer network, in terms of northern Haliburton, and northeastern Muskoka, and especially along the Hwy. 11 corridor...at the moment, there's no BRP dealer between Orillia and Powassan, a distance of almost 190 kms. Northland is farther west...almost 30 minutes' drive west off Hwy. 11, much of it on twisty secondary roads.

Lakeland hasn't been a BRP dealer for about 18 months. It is my understanding that they are not out of business at all...just not a franchised BRP dealer anymore. They are continuing to operate as a powersports/marine repair shop, and also continue to offer boat storage. And they are apparently not closing, but are looking at a move back to Huntsville.

Campbells landing gravenhurst

I didn't notice Gieslers' not on the BRP search results, but thought it a bit far to expect folks to drive to Sturgeon Falls & deal w/ Truchon Fuels.

Campbells landing gravenhurst

Yeah, you're right WB, I mistakenly overlooked them. 

But that's still a long way from anyone in Huntsville/Dwight and vicinity, and still leaves a huge Hwy. 11 corridor distance of well over 150 kms between Gravenhurst and Powassan.  

Yeah, you're right WB, I mistakenly overlooked them. 

But that's still a long way from anyone in Huntsville/Dwight and vicinity, and still leaves a huge Hwy. 11 corridor distance of well over 150 kms between Gravenhurst and Powassan.  

In order for a dealer to be viable they need to be able to sell 50 plus sleds . Not an easy hill to climb .

Lakeland made a mistake moving out there. Should have stayed in Huntsville.

UTS, that's what I thought as well. Mind you their location on the west side of 11 wasn't the easiest to access either. I remember trying to find the access to it on drive north to New Liskeard. Only accessible from the southbound lanes?

Giesler Marine is located in Powassan Ontario and has been serving the power sports industry for over thirty-five years. 

We are a full line BRP dealer representing Ski-Doo, Can-Am ATV,Spyder Roadster, Seadoo water craft and Sport Boats.

Giesler's is on the 'doo dealer search page

http://www.brp.com/BRPDEALERLOCATOR/Search.aspx?culture=en-ca&ski=true

My understanding is that Campbell's Landing stopped being a BRP dealer before last year's snowmobile season. They are still open year round and have gas and sled repairs and maybe sales of used sleds, but are no longer a dealer.

I believe BRP requires their dealers to carry all of their products not just snowmobiles so that is a big inventory for small town dealers.

Sampsons in Bonfield lost their BRP dealership a few years ago but they are going strong doing repairs and selling ATVs, outboard motors and boats.

Probably were a SkiDoo dealer for more than 30 years.

Sad really to see a faithful dealer who got them to where they are be dumped in the name of corporate policy.

I know a marina in Wasaga Beach that had been a skidoo dealer for many years, The quota system of having to take inventory caused him to tell them to keep their inventory. They had a bad snow year and still had most of that years inventory the next winter. Skidoo told him he had to take X # of units for that year even though he hadn't sold the past year yet. His response... no I don't. He quit selling the skidoos but continued to sell the Seadoos. He told me at the time he made very little selling the sled and most of his income was from repairs which they still do today.

I see Gehrke Sales in Port Loring is still in business. They stopped being a 'doo dealer several years ago.

Northland is supposed to be opening a second location on highway 11 just south of Gravenhurst. Might be difficult for them to support 2 locations.

Maybe they can split the quota.  25 sleds ordered for one place; 25 for the other. They're ski-doo. Must make a fortune on the service side. :icon_tinykitball::lmao:

Maybe they can split the quota. 25 sleds ordered for one place; 25 for the other. They're ski-doo. Must make a fortune on the service side. :icon_tinykitball::lmao:

Lol! At least we can get parts and not have to wait three weeks for the plane from Japan to arrive.

Lol! At least we can get parts and not have to wait three weeks for the plane from Japan to arrive.

Just a truck from Mexico!

Just a truck from Mexico!

Doo is still made in quebec!

In order for a dealer to be viable they need to be able to sell 50 plus sleds . Not an easy hill to climb .

Viable to whom?  The manufacturer?  I would think that parts and service and accessories is where all the profitable action is.  Getting out of new sled sales might be the best thing to happen to these small dealers who are able to continue on with a busy shop.

My understanding is that Campbell's Landing stopped being a BRP dealer before last year's snowmobile season. They are still open year round and have gas and sled repairs and maybe sales of used sleds, but are no longer a dealer.

You are Correct.   Not a dealer for about a year now. 

Northland is supposed to be opening a second location on highway 11 just south of Gravenhurst. Might be difficult for them to support 2 locations.

Good location for them.  Highway 11 at the North Kahshe Lake Road.  700 years ago (or so) Denne's Marina used to be a BRP dealer in that same location.  Hope they can make a good go of it.  

From the Kahshe area, it's the next most convenient is likely Leatherdale's in Orillia. 

Archived