Another Late Season Ride

sledjunk

Also want to pass on my thanks for the updated northern Ontario reports.

Looking forwarding to getting out for one last ride.

Bringing a guy who's been out of sledding for a few years - should be fun.

kinda mean canuck...taking guy to best trails in april,probably go home buy new sled...nice work dude

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a reminder, if you're riding in the early hours of the day, ice scratchers are almost a must. Trails were ice crusted last weekend, might be better since the last blast of snow on Sunday, but they're calling for near 0 and slightly above during the day, crusting them over again.

Just got the ok from my boss to take tomorrow off and come up in the morning.I look forward to meeting you all in Cochrane . Crap ! 7 hours is bit of a drive .

I wonder if you could meet up with someone else and trailer together? Just a thought.

It will be great to meet you!

Thanks Dave If someone is looking for the same (someone to trailer with) send me a pm and I can unload the clamshell trailer tonight if needed.If not I was going to load up the sled in the back of my pickup.

i'll be leaving tomorrow at around 12 in the afternoon, i'm meeting up with IQturbo and follow him, i'm in the mississauga area if someone wants to load there sled on a double trailer i'd pull them, if not then i'm gonna load mine on the back of the truck.

Just got the ok from my boss to take tomorrow off and come up in the morning.I look forward to meeting you all in Cochrane . Crap ! 7 hours is bit of a drive .

good man...worth the drive...the ride home is the pits

i'll be leaving tomorrow at around 12 in the afternoon, i'm meeting up with IQturbo and follow him, i'm in the mississauga area if someone wants to load there sled on a double trailer i'd pull them, if not then i'm gonna load mine on the back of the truck.

Thanks Lucky thats a great offer but I have decided to leave the stuff in the trailer because its filled with my daughters belonging and its packed full and she is getting a place soon.So I will be putting mine in my truck tonight for a early start .

good man...worth the drive...the ride home is the pits

I was up at Kirkland Lake on the 20 -24 of march. My boss had a heart attack on the 20th and is moving slow still.If Iam not there at work he will rest better.The ride home is never easy.

apexman...sorry to hear about your boss,hope all goes well.on positive note,pbsc on fb said timmins groomed,another report said canyon was mint,another said cochrane to hearst was great.all good news

Have fun gents. Don't forget to post some pics.

Take a peekaboo at this ....

536682_469322219803851_340493654_n.jpg

Enjoy what's left, the little that IS left ....

I never liked varicose veins. Green is much better.

The rest of KL will turn red very soon partly due to a lack of funds. Pulling signs Sunday.

Spring was cancelled due to government cutbacks but they found a little money from the tax evaders. We might see green grass by July.

Packing up tomorrow night for Cochrane. Looking forward to the sledding and evening entertainment.

I never liked varicose veins. Green is much better.

Funny guy !

where is everone rideing tomarrow.

I'm not sure if any of the others get online when away riding. As for me, I'm riding wherever the rest ride. I'm bringing cash for gas in case they go up to the canyon.

Groomer was out today as we rode back into Cochrane from the canyon. Sunny days and cold nights.

10 of us were out today. Great trails.

Thanks for the update Canuck. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Hearst trails are still great, no bare spots, good base. I'd say even better than 2 weeks ago with the snow we got last weekend. Just the road crossings are bare. We're riding from Hearst to Mattice, where we camp for the summer.

Just heading home now from a great weekend of ridiing.

There ere eleven of us for the ride yesterday. IQTurbo and his FIL (aka TheOldMan (aka Flying Dutchman)), White Dragon and his buddy, Canuck and his friend, Apexman, Lucky2, Ultrafrozen, and Moosifer and I.

It was great to meet Apexman and Lucky2 for the first time!

After arriving about 3:00 AM Thursday, Moosifer and I were slow starting so we decided to wait for Canuck and his friend to arrive. I planned a short loop and while I was leaving a map of our plans for White Dragon at the front desk, I met Bill from Extreme Tours. He gave me a few pointers about local trail conditions and sections to avoid where logging was in progress..

Once Canuck arrived, we started to get ready and Apexman wandered over and introduced himself.

The five of us headed off for a short (185 Km) loop to Smooth Rock Falls via A, L107, and A103. We then returned to Cochrane via C and A106C. The conditions were excellent and the trails were smooth and fast!

When we arrived back at the NAI, we saw WD buddy's truck and trailer. Lucky2 walked over and introduced himself and when WD and his buddy returned from their ride, we all got together for a few beverages and then went to dinner.

The next morning, we headed out to do the canyon loop. The original plan was to go and return via the east side of the loop, but as Lucky2 and Apexman had never done the complete loop, we decided to return via the west side. On the way back down, we detoured to visit the fire tower in the park. This was a great day of riding (330 Km) that we finished with a superb meal at the Ice Hut.

Saturday morning, Ultrafrozen arrived while most of us were having breakfast. There were a few of us who 'elected' for the late breakfast option i.e. did not wake up in time :lol:

We were watching for MooseSki but did not see him.

Our planned trip was to take A to the Moonbeam Clubhouse for lunch and return via some local loops. However, the clubhouse was not open, so we continued on to Casey's in Kap.

After lunch, we continued west on A to Opasatika for gas and returned via L123 to L141 and L135 to A to L127 across Remi Lake back to A. Just before the Moonbeam clubhouse, we turned off on L119 through the Nursery Loop and back to A. From there it was a straight run along A, through Smooth Rock Falls and back to Cochrane The A trail was starting to get a little rough, particularly in the turns. We finished off the day with 465 Km and the weekend with 990 Km according to Apexman's trip odo..

What a way to end the season! Great trails! Great friends! And great weather.

We woke up this morning to about 3 - 4 inches of fresh snow, so the season looks like it will continue up there for at least another week. We spoke to Bill from Extreme Tours when we were loading and he said they would still be grooming and he would be open at the canyon for at least another week.

As for me, I am finished for this year. I have broken a number of personal records. Longest day (465 Km), Rolled 10,000 Km on the new sled, (11K+ actually). Exceeded my most Km in a year (over 6800). And we finished with a season ending weekend that was absolutely perfect!!!

What more could you ask for?

Thanks for the report sledjunk, sounds like a great weekend of riding. Like you said perfect way to finish the season, I'd have to agree.

Nice job on your mileage this year aswell. Big milestone!!

Thanks! Hopefully some of the others will post some pics. I will post some soon.

Sounds like you guys had a great season finale, makes me want to quit work and go up tommorrow , lets see the pics , how is the NAI these days?

Lost my post, too tired to re-type and ENTER key quit working on this site???! Thanks again SJ for setting-up this late season ride, great seeing new and old faces. Enjoyed seeing that young moose and the wildlife at the supper table. IMG_1571_zpsc2e56fa5.jpgIMG_1570_zpsd36aef37.jpg

Archived