Quebec Snowmobiling Mirrors?

BlakeBouch

Hey guys going to quebec on sunday, monday. Passing through as part of our saddlebag tour. I hear that you have to have mirrors on your sled. I do not have mirrors and dont want to put any on. Has anyone been stoped by cops because of this. Or if you have any comments or info? Thanks

Personally I wouldn't risk it, these are the same people who will give you a $450 ticket if you haven't renewed your license plate by your birthday.

Try picking up a $5 bike mirror from canadian tire and somehow slapping it on - worked for my atv;)

http://www.fcmq.qc.c...ish/accueil.asp

It's in the scrolling text.

"Every snowmobile built after January 1, 1998, must be equipped with a left-hand rearview mirror firmly attached to the vehicle. (L.R.Q. c. V-1.2, a.2)."

We went through a gauntlet set up by Quebec police on a busy trail last weekend.

It appeared that they were looking for valid tag date AND mirrors.

I had smaller, side mounted mirrors than others in the group (and they're black on black). They really paused when I rolled through.

I'd get the handlebar mount mirror.

Where would I buy a small set of mirrors. I don't think I want to spend 200$ for a set and to be honest I don't like the look of them attached on the machine

go to canadian tire and get a clamp on handlebar mirror for a bicycle for about $10 clamp it to the left handlebar and when you are done take it off

That's what am thinking of doing. Is that considered securely mounted?

Yamaha sells a pair of handle mounted mirrors for about $40. You'd have to check bar diameter. Don't tell anyone where you got them and all should be good.

Look here:

IMG-20130202-00123_zpscf415c9d.jpg

From the front:

IMG-20130202-00132_zpsce6faf55.jpg

Whatever mirrors you decide to mount, make damn sure your mirrors have this printed on them:

"Les objets dans le miroir sont plus proches qu'ils apparaissent."

You do not want to get into trouble with the language police. Big fines. Jail time.

Also:

skidoo - okay

yamaha - okay

polaris - okay

Arctic Cat - chat arctique (cross off with duct tape and use magic marker)

I'd go to Royal and get a decent sized ATV mirror..clamp it on and when you are done..take it off.

This debat goes on every year about mirrors and QC

Yes the law says you must have a mirror, IF ITS REGISTED IN QC !!!

The only laws and regulations that apply are those in the area that the snowmobile is registered in.

Example

Ontario requires those dumb looking lic plate looking stickers or custom numbers of a certain size and blah blah blah.

Some other states and provinces have an actual license plate that has to be attached to the snowmobile.

So when I take my Ontario registered sled to one of these location I DO NOT NEED TO HAVE ONE OF THESE PLATES.

This debat goes on every year about mirrors and QC

Yes the law says you must have a mirror, IF ITS REGISTED IN QC !!!

The only laws and regulations that apply are those in the area that the snowmobile is registered in.

Example

Ontario requires those dumb looking lic plate looking stickers or custom numbers of a certain size and blah blah blah.

Some other states and provinces have an actual license plate that has to be attached to the snowmobile.

So when I take my Ontario registered sled to one of these location I DO NOT NEED TO HAVE ONE OF THESE PLATES.

Not sure that this is always the case. We learned here that if you wish to go to New York state to snowmobile that you must also register your sled there. One of our customers was with a group of five that were charged for no mirrors in Quebec. Maybe they could have fought it who knows instead they chose to pay.

what about a glove mirror, I have rode with a few people that have used them for years.

What does it really matter what has gone on or going on behind you anyways, the whole concept seems gay to me.....I don't really give a rats azz what goes on where I have already been, and its not like you can't turn ur head if you really feel the need. :icon_steer:

The Quebec law states that the mirror MUST be mounted to the sled on the left hand side. A hand mirror is not mounted to the sled. And this law pertains to ALL sleds operated in Quebec.

IMO, we should have the same law here, but that is a different discussion!

what about a glove mirror, I have rode with a few people that have used them for years.

What does it really matter what has gone on or going on behind you anyways, the whole concept seems gay to me.....I don't really give a rats azz what goes on where I have already been, and its not like you can't turn ur head if you really feel the need. :icon_steer:

For us older riders who occasionally ride with others, it's nice to know if they are still following or if they've been run off the trail by some of those wild 100+ mph (sorry, 160 km/hr) drivers.

Also helps to see those rockets before they blast by me. :)

For us older riders who occasionally ride with others, it's nice to know if they are still following or if they've been run off the trail by some of those wild 100+ mph (sorry, 160 km/hr) drivers.

Our rule is to look behind you for the next person in the group. If you loose sight of them slow down for them to catch up. If they still don't show they likely have a problem, you turn around and go back for them. Mirrors make that real easy.

I picked up a pair of 2 inch convex mirrors with sticky backing at CTC. They also swivel once mounted. Cost me $2.97 for the pr. I also have a glove mirror.

Yes and let's not get into the 'look in our mirrors" discussion. If these people would stay to the right and not wander all over the trail there wouldn't be a discussion.

The Quebec law states that the mirror MUST be mounted to the sled on the left hand side. A hand mirror is not mounted to the sled. And this law pertains to ALL sleds operated in Quebec.

IMO, we should have the same law here, but that is a different discussion!

X 2, SJ...I can't understand why the same isn't the case here in Ontario. There is no logical argument otherwise.

Hey guys going to quebec on sunday, monday. Passing through as part of our saddlebag tour. I hear that you have to have mirrors on your sled. I do not have mirrors and dont want to put any on. Has anyone been stoped by cops because of this. Or if you have any comments or info? Thanks

I don't understand why you don't want any mirror on your sled or would want to take them off after. They're useful and there must be a valid reason why some provinces enforce to have them. One day I was going at a very decent speed and keeping my right but a freaking idiot decided to pass right after he caught up to me. He never gave me time to slow down or wave at him to pass. Since I noticed in my mirror that he was passing me, I slew down right away for our safety (mine specially).

X 2, SJ...I can't understand why the same isn't the case here in Ontario. There is no logical argument otherwise.

People would take them off because they don't look cool. Just like those that take the windshield off... even the smallest ones.

And this is the point I am making, it is preferance. It is not a safety issue. It is total crap to ram this down peoples throats, if you want to look behind you and you don't want to turn ur head u install a mirror, I turn my head. There are more than enough corners that I look over my shoulder and see the person following me on a regular basis. It is purely preferance. To many stupid laws being passed by idiots these days.

People would take them off because they don't look cool. Just like those that take the windshield off... even the smallest ones.

it is not always what is cool ya know, if you don't need it, why have it. You do not merge in traffic with a sled, there are not multiple lanes, there are no blind spots, door pillars or anything to block your view. A mirror on a sled is used soley to see if someone is behind you, my opinion is I know if someone is on my bumper, I don't need to look, that is my preferance. It has FA to do with kewl.

A good point, Wildman, and indicative of the choices we have. You're the Italian driver in Cannon Ball Run .....

"What isa behind me is not ina fronta me, what isa behind me isa not important!" :D

(they ripped that line from Enzo Ferrari. "What's behind you does not matter")

Our rule is to look behind you for the next person in the group. If you loose sight of them slow down for them to catch up. If they still don't show they likely have a problem, you turn around and go back for them. Mirrors make that real easy.

I learned that rule a long time ago and enforce it when I'm leading a group. I also enforce the "stop and wait at an intersection" rule to make sure we all go the same way. Nothing worse than losing a rider then having to find them. I have also been known to tell everyone, specially in a big group, to head back to the last intersection in case we do lose someone on the wrong trail.

If we are all experienced riders and have a predetermined meeting point then it's everyone for him/ herself but we decide this before riding.

I learned that rule a long time ago and enforce it when I'm leading a group. I also enforce the "stop and wait at an intersection" rule to make sure we all go the same way. Nothing worse than losing a rider then having to find them. I have also been known to tell everyone, specially in a big group, to head back to the last intersection in case we do lose someone on the wrong trail.

If we are all experienced riders and have a predetermined meeting point then it's everyone for him/ herself but we decide this before riding.

This is the right way to ride.

Archived