Free weekend

skidoo700

I do!

Sure...there are lots of people out there with 15 year old sleds that are maintained well and have high mileage and their owners keep them on the snow. I've seen a few that look like showroom condition outside and under the hood.

Some may not ride a Season or two and not even rack up much mileage.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Okay with another Free Weekend but not the Family Day weekend.

Why not have it the same weekend as Quebec, so both sides can escape the infux of freebies/newbies?

This is a good idea. The Rest of Canada is paying for the $7 per day child care, the lowest tutition fees in the country for university students, no user pay health care fees, subsidized car and sled insurance, a new burial ground for French casualties of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham (while the British graves lie under 4 lanes of asphalt) and a host of other goodies in Quebec including several groomers bought by the federal government. Roll out the white carpet for them to Ontario as well.

By all means, all sledders should go visit Quebec - you've already paid for their trails!

Just double check your sled for any words on it that might be in violation of their language laws.

Last time I was there they were going to give me a ticket for no mirrors.

I'm Okay with another Free Weekend but not the Family Day weekend.

Why not have it the same weekend as Quebec, so both sides can escape the infux of freebies/newbies?

Funny thing about family day weekend, tried to get a couple of new guys out but they couldn't go because they had to be with their families. It's pretty hard for people to make it a family event unless they have access to 3 or 4 sleds. My vote is for a different weekend next time and then they can compare numbers and see which was more successful. Whatever is best for the sport in the end.

I doubt it if there will be another free weekend next season. Greatest number of free passes was handed out in district 9. Only about 400 or so passes from out of province riders, out of the 14,000 permits issued. It just proves there are alot of riders not buying permits for various reasons.

I doubt it if there will be another free weekend next season. Greatest number of free passes was handed out in district 9. Only about 400 or so passes from out of province riders, out of the 14,000 permits issued. It just proves there are alot of riders not buying permits for various reasons.

I think they will be tracking how many of the free pass users end up buying a season pass next year and that will be the measure of success.

I think they will be tracking how many of the free pass users end up buying a season pass next year and that will be the measure of success.

I see. Sure hope it snows early. They will all be thinking they can ride for free again next family day weekend too.

Seeing that the AGM happens before anybody buys Trail Permits the decision will need to be made by all the Clubs at the AGM in September.

I'm sure there will be a Motion at the AGM regarding the Free Weekend as to whether it occurs again and probably which weekend.

Seeing that the AGM happens before anybody buys Trail Permits the decision will need to be made by all the Clubs at the AGM in September.

I'm sure there will be a Motion at the AGM regarding the Free Weekend as to whether it occurs again and probably which weekend.

We may have already allowed it in last years motion.

Last time I was there they were going to give me a ticket for no mirrors.

That law is well publicized in all of the permit applications. A very good law, IMO.

That law is well publicized in all of the permit applications. A very good law, IMO.

Now I have mirrors.

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to ride without mirrors? I can understand why with an older sled that did not come with mirrors and the add on usually suck, but why would you not have them on a newer sled? Really I am serious, are there good reasons to "not" have mirrors?

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to ride without mirrors? I can understand why with an older sled that did not come with mirrors and the add on usually suck, but why would you not have them on a newer sled? Really I am serious, are there good reasons to "not" have mirrors?

my 2005 vector and 2006 apex did not have mirrors, my 2009 venture came with them, I don't like mirrors myself find they shake to much on the sled I ude a palm mirror on my glove works great for me

my 2005 vector and 2006 apex did not have mirrors, my 2009 venture came with them, I don't like mirrors myself find they shake to much on the sled I ude a palm mirror on my glove works great for me

Hadn't thought of that, but I do remember that the mirrors on my previous sled did shake somewhat, however the mirrors on the sled I am riding now, no shake or vibration at all. My first sled didn't have mirrors and I hated having to constantly be looking over my shoulder to make sure there was no one behind trying to get by me.

X2, wannago. It's no brainer, especially for a touring sledder. They should really be standard equipment on all sleds.

I use mine all the time to check behind me. Beats twisting your neck to look behind and having to take your eyes off the trail in front of you...that's when surprises happen.

I use mine all the time to check behind me. Beats twisting your neck to look behind and having to take your eyes off the trail in front of you...that's when surprises happen.

The people I ride with all have mirrors and use them all the time. We watch for sledders coming up behind us wanting to pass as well as watch out for each other. Our rule is essentially if you lose sight of the person behind you slow down for them to catch up and if they still don't appear turn around and go back since they likely have a problem. I wouldn't ride without mirrors.

Do you have a link about the 14,000 permits issued? Seems pretty high.

Do you have a link about the 14,000 permits issued? Seems pretty high.

It was higher, somewhere around 14500.

I thought it was a great success, many we talked to taking advantage of the free family permit said they would be buying so they can ride out the rest of the season, and we saw just that this past Sunday, 3 sleds all two up with the family day permit still taped to the windshield with packing tape, but with brand new shiny 2013 permits right underneath. Lots of none sled head sled owners forgot how much fun sledding was over the past two crappy winters, this was the perfect ticket to remind them. I say keep it on the same weekend, it gives that extra day for someone to get out and remember what sledding is all about.

It was higher, somewhere around 14500.

I thought it was a great success, many we talked to taking advantage of the free family permit said they would be buying so they can ride out the rest of the season, and we saw just that this past Sunday, 3 sleds all two up with the family day permit still taped to the windshield with packing tape, but with brand new shiny 2013 permits right underneath. Lots of none sled head sled owners forgot how much fun sledding was over the past two crappy winters, this was the perfect ticket to remind them. I say keep it on the same weekend, it gives that extra day for someone to get out and remember what sledding is all about.

I agree it was great but a bit too late. The free weekend should be earlier so they would buy a regular permit to ride out the rest of the season. Most that rode on Family Day Weekend won't buy a full permit to ride for a couple more weekends. Make it in the middle of January or even earlier like New Years.

I agree it was great but a bit too late. The free weekend should be earlier so they would buy a regular permit to ride out the rest of the season. Most that rode on Family Day Weekend won't buy a full permit to ride for a couple more weekends. Make it in the middle of January or even earlier like New Years.

There would of been a lot of people sticking those free permits on their sleds and not moving them, conditions were not the best New Years or mid Jan for most of the province. Mid Feb has always been the best bet for consistent snow across the province, making it the best time to do something like this.

Archived