Free weekend

skidoo700

Do you think the OFSC should continue on with a free weekend

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is probably too early to decide. We need to see how many ToT permits were issued and how many of those turn into permits next year.

One try at this is probably not enough to draw conclusions.

Not on this Family day weekend.

Spoils it for the paying customers with an additional influx of non-paying riders on the busiest weekend of the season.

Also the trails are usually torn up by the above average ridership on this weekend so it really doesn't impress newbies expecting a great trail experience.

Creates a safety hazard by putting out more sleds, many with inexperienced riders, on the busiest weekend.

Another weekend I would say okay for another trial.

People will start planning around the Free Quebec and Free Ontario and end up buying only a 7 Day at the most or maybe get their fix with two free weekends and then no purchased Trail Permit.

I think we are approaching 200 Free Registrants with NBSC.

I agree.Family day weekend is not a very good choice.I feel you should be able to decide if this is an activity that you and your family would like to get into in a 2 day wkend,you don't need 3.I remember my first time,I was hooked after a couple of hours.If this is what the OFSC is trying to do to generate more revenue.

not on the family day weekend

How about a free march break week and throw in a free Christmas week too as a bonus. So much revenue was lost this weekend, it isn't even funny. Only winner is the government getting fuel tax revenue and zone restaurants too.

i worked today at work yikes, on the north west (face) 30 mins of the city near balgonie

the traffic was CRAZY the rides these 7- 10 yr olds are on is very impressive cans pipes etc

nuts

gg

gf

gh

s

or in my case, it was friggin cold and i cant remember where my nuts are

there gone

:icon_snow: :icon_snow: :icon_snow: :icon_snow: :icon_snow: :icon_snow:

another 10 cm

Well I'm not sure I agree with you guys and it may be because of the area you sled.I was out saturday with a group of 5 other sleds. One other had a season pass.The other 4 had the free pass.2 of that 4 were really chompin on a trail ride the other 2 were kinda just tagging along although the one has had a pass up to last year but just didnt have the time to do trails this year.Our day started at 10 am and we did a leisurely tour from orillia to coldwater thru moonstone hawkstone and back.We had one sled go down when the handlebars broke at the weld,so it had to get towed back out to a friend who came and picked it and the driver up.We continued on and had a great ride with the two riders both driving older safaris absolutely loving it.I already know at the very least one pass will be bought next year and possibly a second.Now the trails weren't at 100 percent but they were pretty darn good.Everyone was versed on signals and stayed to the right,we kept the speed nominal so the older sleds were in good control and I kept an eye on the rear sled so if I saw someone coming up from behind I could signal the other riders from the front.We passed several other groups that were probably doing much the same as us.Family day weekend is as good a day as any to get people out and try it.There are so many other activities that are pushed for this weekend you are really only going to get the ones that really want to ride to go anyway.Maybe other areas such as Bracebridge and north where there is a lot of weekend warriors it could be a problem.I didn't see that here.What I did see was a lot of two ups!

I will add that today my wife and I went out and did the reverse except we went up to waubaushene and back.The trails were great till coming back from coldwater as the railline was pretty lumpy.We left at 1 and I think we passed maybe 40 sleds in total the whole run.Not very busy for a day off.

Kerry

i worked today at work yikes, on the north west (face) 30 mins of the city near balgonie

the traffic was CRAZY the rides these 7- 10 yr olds are on is very impressive cans pipes etc

nuts

gg

gf

gh

s

or in my case, it was friggin cold and i cant remember where my nuts are

there gone

:icon_snow: :icon_snow: :icon_snow: :icon_snow: :icon_snow: :icon_snow:

another 10 cm

And your point is ????

Too early to tell. Have to see how many transpire into full passes next year. Assuming the mother ship tracks the stats.

Spoils it for the paying customers with an additional influx of non-paying riders on the busiest weekend of the season.

Also the trails are usually torn up by the above average ridership on this weekend so it really doesn't impress newbies expecting a great trail experience.

Creates a safety hazard by putting out more sleds, many with inexperienced riders, on the busiest weekend.

People will start planning around the Free Quebec and Free Ontario and end up buying only a 7 Day at the most or maybe get their fix with two free weekends and then no purchased Trail Permit.

I think we are approaching 200 Free Registrants with NBSC.

not a good idea

Agree 100%. This sounds exactly like the conversation we had on our drive back today.

Too early to tell. Have to see how many transpire into full passes next year. Assuming the mother ship tracks the stats.

betcha half did not print a free pass and just rode and use the excuse free weekend

We saw a large number while out with the free pass....spoke to many while checking passes that were really happy about being able to ride legitimately for free this past weekend.

I was told there were about 15000 passes printed off for this weekend by our governor. 300 of those were from Quebec

Ofsc should have charged a 30 dollar processing fee at least. It sucks that thier are so many free loaders out there. All of the free riders said they would buy permits, if they were around 150 for a full season before nov 1st. Everyone Is looking for a break, because of the weather.

All of the free riders said they would buy permits, if they were around 150 for a full season before nov 1st. Everyone Is looking for a break, because of the weather.

I never posed that question to free permit holders, but I'm glad folks raised it with you. These riders felt that permits were too expensive --- which is what I've heard from lake runners, cottagers and farm riders. (they're wrong; it's a great value ... for those of us that use it extensively. What we're not listening to is the voice of the occasional trail rider who's suggesting 'charge me $180'. It's like a gym membership. I'll pay it, and use it occasionally. For the same price, 'you' oc.com madmen (and women) can use it everyday).

So much data and opportunity to learn from this weekend.

We've heard the negatives: Giving away revenue on a 'prime' weekend; crowds on a prime weekend; etc.

Positives: It's reading week for university students (a 20-23 yr old demographic); it actually wasn't crowded on Monday (at least in Port Severn or Midland); one map sponsor that I talked to loved it (happy that double the norm visited restaurant) and as mentioned above gas stations, etc. did well.

And please don't forget: We once had WAY more riders on the trails. Bumping it up 10,000 or so province wide for one weekend should not be seen as opening the floodgates.

Again must be the area I did trail patrol on saturday afternoon 35 sleds stoped passed another 20 or so . out of all those sleds only 6 were using the free weekend pass , 4 form new york syate that said they woyld not have rode ontario if not for free weekend but will be back. the other 2 were from quebec and also had neve rode ontario and were very impressed with our trail ans signage.

There is no use getting upset that there were 15000 free permitts handed out and how all this money was lost. A big porsion of these people that used the free pass would most likly not have would have rode the trails this past weeekend anyway just without a pass . Now the ofsc has there info and can use it.

Now explain this to me how come it always seems to be the guy with the 13000.00 plus dollar sled matching suit that does not have the permit and compains about the price. Over the past few years I seem to see more of this on trail patrol.

In short I think is a good thing keep it to just a weekend , does not have to be family day.

have a permit

Why you guys so upset? The family day weekend put revenue in the local area establishments pockets. Isnt that a good thing?

As for the permit, if it translates into more legit permit sales then it was a success.

I was in muskoka and it wasnt that busy but i did see a lot of weekend permits.

I don't see an issue with the free three day being on the Family Day weekend. Like UTS said it puts revenue back into our local economy which is a must. It also gives the person trying out sledding the opportunity to see how vast the sport is by seeing all the sleds out there, the camaraderie, of the sport, and the opportunity to ride trails when they are apt to be the best of the season in as many areas of the Province as possible. It was a banner weekend for trails in many areas...isn't that what we are partially trying to promote? If it was done just a few weeks ago ( around here for example..they would have rode clakety, clakety..ice trails..nice), leave it later in the year and you risk mushy trails. This weekend captures a lot of people at their cottages or visiting the area to see other attractions. This was an excellent showcase weekend.

Too bad that we had to ride with more care and diligence! ~sarcasm...

I think it was a great success! Mostly older sleds with the free permits, those people would not have pulled them sleds out of the weeds if they had to pay full price and i would say they were the most respectfull out on the trail. It gives people a chance to catch the sledding fever all over again and will definitley translate to higher permit sales next year. I thought traffic was going to be outrageous but it was perfect and so were trail conditions in midwestern Ontario.

When I started this post it wasn't so much about the revenue , but more for the fact that why did it have to be on the family day weekend.It should have been on any other in my opinion.I asked this question based on what I have been reading about the crazies out there on other posts.I know we are not going to get away from this problem ( believe me I wish we could and I hope we will only too soon ) but on a long wkend it only magnifies itself.Because of this I stayed off the trails till yesterday and yes it was not as busy as I thought it would be ( maybe all the crazies went home sunday night ) but I did feel alot safer.Just my opinion

When I started this post it wasn't so much about the revenue , but more for the fact that why did it have to be on the family day weekend.It should have been on any other in my opinion.I asked this question based on what I have been reading about the crazies out there on other posts.I know we are not going to get away from this problem ( believe me I wish we could and I hope we will only too soon ) but on a long wkend it only magnifies itself.Because of this I stayed off the trails till yesterday and yes it was not as busy as I thought it would be ( maybe all the crazies went home sunday night ) but I did feel alot safer.Just my opinion

I think it was the perfect weekend to do it. It shows riders what we have to offer. I rode two out of the three days and didn't find traffic bad at all. I think even the crazys controlled them selves a bit better this weekend.

I agree with Classic. Our group (7) put on 230 miles over the three days and ony met two "crazies" on the Seguin Saturday morning. We were doing about 40mph and they passed us like we were standing still and blinded us with their snow cloud. We saw a number of week end passes, lots of families too. Might bode well for the sport. BTW kudos to the Parry Sound area groomers. Your area was the best we encountered.

I can see what the ofsc is trying to do. Even my dad was asking what is up with the free permits taped to the windshield. I ran into several free riders this weekend. All complained about the lack of snow last winter here in d5 and never bought permits this year as a result. They said they won't buy this fall either unless the price is reduced. Why can't people just buy permits like the rest of us. This free weekend is going to haunt us and rob permit sales especially 3 day passes, (even though they are hard to find currently) There should be a processing fee involved. Say 30 bucks per free permit. Even more people are not going to buy the full season

pass next year.

Archived