Free weekend

skidoo700

Yes fred seen triple groomers smoothing my way through b trail and number 7 :hyper: thanks my faith is restored.

dufftom- ice fishing and sreebs sunday at least I think i was fishing, only thing I caught was hell when i walked in the door

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS !! - I thought along with alot of other people that there would not be an increase this year after last years dismal winter, and yet they did!

no, i don't believe it, but who knows? I don't think they increase price just because they can, or for the sake of making a profit. Perhaps I am naive, but I like to believe the cost of permits is put back into the system in many ways, such as insurance, grooming, etc. Dismal winter last year or not, there would still be costs incurred, but no where near as much for sure. I am a guy who has bought a permit every year for the last at least 25yrs. and will continue to do so, as long as I own a sled and am physically able to do so and enjoy it. So the 200 I paid last year, and didn't get to use it, was the first time for me. I've pissed away more for less in my lifetime, so I look at it as oh well, better luck next year. As I said, you won't please everyone, but to me personally, if it did sell 1500 more permits, and that money goes back into the system, great, I think it was a success.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt, without a trail system, or even me without a permit, I would give up snowmobiling, as it would no longer be as enjoyable to me. I am not interested in going in ditches, on roads, trespassing on other people's property or wherever else people go that don't go on the trails.

All this just my opinion of course, and everyone has one of their own, whether popular or not, or if they share it or not.

no, i don't believe it, but who knows? I don't think they increase price just because they can, or for the sake of making a profit. Perhaps I am naive, but I like to believe the cost of permits is put back into the system in many ways, such as insurance, grooming, etc. Dismal winter last year or not, there would still be costs incurred, but no where near as much for sure. I am a guy who has bought a permit every year for the last at least 25yrs. and will continue to do so, as long as I own a sled and am physically able to do so and enjoy it. So the 200 I paid last year, and didn't get to use it, was the first time for me. I've pissed away more for less in my lifetime, so I look at it as oh well, better luck next year. As I said, you won't please everyone, but to me personally, if it did sell 1500 more permits, and that money goes back into the system, great, I think it was a success.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt, without a trail system, or even me without a permit, I would give up snowmobiling, as it would no longer be as enjoyable to me. I am not interested in going in ditches, on roads, trespassing on other people's property or wherever else people go that don't go on the trails.

All this just my opinion of course, and everyone has one of their own, whether popular or not, or if they share it or not.

POINT TAKEN.....But the original point of the question started on the forum by me is, why on the long weekend.From what I am reading maybe a nominal fee ( so long as that money goes to the clubs ) should be charged to help out with the additional work that the clubs have to do to maintain the trails for that weekend.If not then hold it on any other weekend.

Unfortunately, this is the only long weekend in the winter. (I personally think we should have three or four, and skip the ones in the summer.) A long weekend is the perfect time for the general public to plan an outing and I think that is why the weekend was chosen.

There are certainly pluses and minuses to the choice of the weekend, but I personally think this may have been the best option.

Then charge a nominal fee.After all we didn't ride for free

Guess I missed the point to original post as to why on the family day weekend. I understood and thought it was asking opinions on whether it should be continued or not. As far as continuing, who knows. If it brings money into the clubs in the future, it was worth it. If not, oh well, worth a shot, maybe next time, if a next time. As for on the long weekend, it didn't matter to me, lots of people don't get monday off anyway. I watched all kinds of hockey on the free preview center ice package when it was on, with no intent to buy it and give the players/owners any of my money. I spent it on my seasonal trail permit.

But then it wouldn't be free, would it?

X2. 30 bucks for 3 day weekend pass would be a steal. Sell 10,000 and that is 300,000 bucks extra into the system. Ofsc is pissing off people that paid full price to ride. Does the 407 let you drive on it for free, July 1st weekend, how about ski hills give away free passes on Christmas? Enough said.

I think a free weekend is a great idea but not on the long weekend. A lot of people that paid full price for there passes use this weekend to get family and friends together. We always have friends come up that buy three day passes for the weekend. They passed this year because of the free weekend and knowing what the volume of traffic would be.

Do you think the OFSC should continue on with a free weekend

Absolutely! I saw many sleds that probably hadnt been registered in several years (older) and my guess would be people invited friends up and brought them out to the trail. This gives people an introduction to the sport and gives them the "bug" and builds membership in the future. If we dont build membership up from those new to the sport or from those rejoining the sport, organized snowmobiling will not survive in many areas of the Province if not entirely.

I'm Okay with another Free Weekend but not the Family Day weekend.

Why not have it the same weekend as Quebec, so both sides can escape the infux of freebies/newbies?

x2

DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS !! - I thought along with alot of other people that there would not be an increase this year after last years dismal winter, and yet they did!

You do realize that the price increase was voted on at the AGM in Sept. 2011 for implementation in the fall of 2012 long before anyone had any idea that many areas would see little or no snow right? You also realize that the $10 increase is going to a dedicated groomer replacement fund and not just the general cofferes right? You do realize that there were areas with absolutely great riding last winter right? We trailered last year for a change and actually found fantastic trail conditions around Parry Sound, Dunchurch, Magnetwawan, Kearney, Sprucedale and Huntsville. I understand the Ottawa area had great conditions last year as well.

You do realize that the price increase was voted on at the AGM in Sept. 2011 for implementation in the fall of 2012 long before anyone had any idea that many areas would see little or no snow right? You also realize that the $10 increase is going to a dedicated groomer replacement fund and not just the general cofferes right? You do realize that there were areas with absolutely great riding last winter right? We trailered last year for a change and actually found fantastic trail conditions around Parry Sound, Dunchurch, Magnetwawan, Kearney, Sprucedale and Huntsville. I understand the Ottawa area had great conditions last year as well.

we only got out for 1 week last season and had good riding in Kearney/Burks Falls

I dont mind paying for upgraded groomers when you have trails as nice as we have had this season, those clubs volunteers are out grooming everyday, been truely fantastic ! i can hardly wait to get back up there tomorrow

I wonder how many of these business are going to use that extra money to help support the ofsc and/or their local clubs. It may be great that the businesses are benefiting from the free weekend, but how is this helping the ofsc and local clubs?

That is an easy one to answer. We get grant money from the province on a fairly regular basis from the province. One of the tools we use when lobbying for that grant money is the economic impact sledders have on the community and the significant infusion of cash into the economy of many small businesses in small communities across the province that are reliant on tourism.

We stayed at a Parry Sound area Inn on 3 weekends ago and the place was deserted. Stayed at the same location this weekend and they were fielding calls from sledders looking for a place to stay and having to tell them they were fully booked. I am sure all that business helps sustain them and the local economy through the winter months.

But that being said that gas station might fuel up a groomer at a discounted rate or even help out a bunch of volunteers but giving them free fuel when out doing trail work. Or they could even buy an ad on the map.

I know of one restaurant on the trail that feeds the groomer operators when they stop in for the dinner for free. Not a big thing in some ways but appreciated by the club and the groomer operators I am sure.

Our local gas station in Port Severn has been a long time supporter of the club, selling permits and more.

Not everyone is lucky enough to own a trailer or the means to trailer to other areas.

That is an easy one to answer. We get grant money from the province on a fairly regular basis from the province. One of the tools we use when lobbying for that grant money is the economic impact sledders have on the community and the significant infusion of cash into the economy of many small businesses in small communities across the province that are reliant on tourism.

We stayed at a Parry Sound area Inn on 3 weekends ago and the place was deserted. Stayed at the same location this weekend and they were fielding calls from sledders looking for a place to stay and having to tell them they were fully booked. I am sure all that business helps sustain them and the local economy through the winter months.

I still feel the same can be accomplished on another weekend,like what was suggested earlier,the same free weekend as Quebec

I still feel the same can be accomplished on another weekend,like what was suggested earlier,the same free weekend as Quebec

But there's only one long weekend in the winter. People ride Sat and Sun and go home monday. I think its the smartest move we made in a long time. If you remeber at one time we had 124,000 sleds running the trails. And now about 70,000 plus the 14,000 freebies.

But there's only one long weekend in the winter. People ride Sat and Sun and go home monday. I think its the smartest move we made in a long time. If you remeber at one time we had 124,000 sleds running the trails. And now about 70,000 plus the 14,000 freebies.

And just think there were no long weekend's back then( this holiday is only 2-3 years in ).So what do you feel has changed.Maybe that is what has to be worked on or maybe there is nothing that can be done because so much has changed

Bottom line is people are running more miles on the newer machines, versus 10 years ago. I am at 1750km and only been out about half dozen times. I know some people that do 450km loop here in d5 in a day. Try that on a 15 year old sled.

Yes fred seen triple groomers smoothing my way through b trail and number 7 :hyper: thanks my faith is restored.

dufftom- ice fishing and sreebs sunday at least I think i was fishing, only thing I caught was hell when i walked in the door

I hope she spanked you real bad.

Bottom line is people are running more miles on the newer machines, versus 10 years ago. I am at 1750km and only been out about half dozen times. I know some people that do 450km loop here in d5 in a day. Try that on a 15 year old sled.

I do!

I find all this very humorous, everybody has something to say on the forum, are you all going to voice your opinion at your club meeting? .....put your input in the right place, it ain't gonna do squat here.

Said the man with 579 posts...

Archived