Kapukasing

crs2fer

We used to stay at the Apollo until they shut down the pool & hot tub w/o a reduction in rates. The last couple of years we've stayed @ the Park Inn Motel.

Check the link in my signature for motel listings & welcome to OC :right_on: .

We've stayed at the Super 8 and enjoyed it. Indoor pool and hot tub.

http://www.super8.com/hotels/ontario/kapuskasing/super-8-kapuskasing/hotel-overview

Looks like Super 8 its gonna be. How about a place to park our truck and trailer and start from? We were thinking someplace in Elliot Lake, Massey, Blind River or Spanish.

Thanks for your replys!

Looks like Super 8 its gonna be. How about a place to park our truck and trailer and start from? We were thinking someplace in Elliot Lake, Massey, Blind River or Spanish.

Thanks for your replys!

You are aware the d trail is closed from the soo to wawa. Only way north of the area is the f trail, which can be open around 4 weeks of the year. Not sure where to park in those area's either.

Really enjoyed the hospitality at a resort 15 kms north of Elliot Lake. Dunlop Lake Lodge. http://www.dunloplakelodge.com

Hopefully others can pipe in about Massey, Blind River or Spanish.

BTW, when we stayed at Dunlop Lake Lodge, large groups staged from there. Be forewarned, however, that it was mid February and on the trail north it looked like only one pass or two by a groomer as you got close to Chapleau. Keep an eye on grooming around Chapleau if heading that way.

In Chapleau, you have to stay at Valentine's. Great B and B atmosphere, indoor sled storage, good onsite dinner and breakfast and wonderful hospitality. http://www.valentinefarms.ca

Thanks for the replys guys!

So far i was gonna check into the Dunlop Lake L.odge then go to the Three Bears camp in Shining Tree, the Super 8 in Kapukasing, The Riverside cabins in Hornepayne, Valentines B&B in Chapleau (which is our usual stop) and back to Elliot lake.

Any other suggestions is geratly appreciated!

Thanks Viper...We are not riding from the Soo, we did that one year up through half way haven. We usually trailer to Wawa but would like to try something a bit different so we thought we would leave from Elliot Lake or this area and then head to Shining tree.

Thanks for the replys guys!

So far i was gonna check into the Dunlop Lake L.odge then go to the Three Bears camp in Shining Tree, the Super 8 in Kapukasing, The Riverside cabins in Hornepayne, Valentines B&B in Chapleau (which is our usual stop) and back to Elliot lake.

Any other suggestions is geratly appreciated!

That sounds like a wonderful ride. I did a quick Google Maps (faster than ofsc guide) and found the loop. Great planning.

I recall discussions last year about gas in Aubrey Falls (open) but you'll want to call ahead to make sure.

Have an awesome trip.

(ps - Kap hotel, Super 8, is at the edge of town with only an 'A and W' restaurant nearby and Walmart at the back, unless that section has new businesses. You'll have to cab or snowmobile to a restaurant. I love the hotel for its amenities, not the location.).

the last few years F trail between chapleau and aubrey falls has not opened due to low snow. and with the start this year, isnt looking good either. make sure to call ahead to see if these options are open for you. if you are trailering to elliot lake from wisconsin, look into trailering to wawa or dubreuilville to start the loop if the F trail doesnt pan out. keep your options open.

as far as gas you have to call aubrey falls trading post, or black creek outfitters accross the street from aubrey falls, to see if anyone will be open and or have gas. last year they were open for fuel only. they did say last year if the group was large enough, and you called ahead with plenty of warning, they would possibly have soup and or sandwiches avaialble but, not a full menu. Ski

You could start at gogoma lake resort (forum sponsor here) located just south of Timmins. They will let you park your truck and trailer for a week. You could probabily start in wawa and dub too and pm groomerguy where to start. Don't count on the F trail being open either.

You could start at gogoma lake resort (forum sponsor here) located just south of Timmins. They will let you park your truck and trailer for a week. You could probabily start in wawa and dub too and pm groomerguy where to start. Don't count on the F trail being open either.

Are you sure you don't mean Gowganda Lake Lodge??????

is there still a place to get gas between Chapleau and Elliot lake? In Aubrey Falls maybe?

Keep your fingers crossed that the F trail running south out of Chapleau is opened this year. It has been 3 seasons closed, so be sure what is open because the trail closure from Wawa to SSM does not give you another way around the loop.

Black creek Outfitters has been closed for 2 seasons, so Aubrey Falls Trading Post is the only gas to get you to Elliot Lake. This only means something if the F Trail actually opens this season.

Someone said that Black Creek is back open, so may be a good place to stop for soup & gas?

Kap hotel, Super 8, is at the edge of town with only an 'A and W' restaurant nearby and Walmart at the back, unless that section has new businesses. You'll have to cab or snowmobile to a restaurant. I love the hotel for its amenities, not the location.).

Actually the L138 trail passes right behind the Walmart/Super 8, I'm sure there's access to that trail. From there you can backtrack into town using that trail and get back on the A which rides parallel to the highway thru the main section of town. There are several eateries including a Tim's and Papa Franco's right in town, as well as a Casey's and others just to the West of town, within minutes.

You've got options.

Oh my, that's a good looking bowl of chili !!!

(and the camp is not bad too ..... lol !)

Archived