New Snowmobile Trailers...

Turbo Doo

Depends where you live, costs me about 120 to go to hailburton one way for truck fuel alone. It is 365 km one way for me. With my enclosed I use 20 liters of fuel per 100km on average. Have to love the new info computers on Vechiles. I stay with family, so it costs me a few cases of beer and a few breakfast out. So not too bad at all.

You're right. It depends on where you live. I just looked at it on the basis of the bulk of the population coming out of Toronto.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I normally just go 30 km, since d9 usually has snow. So it is all relative depending on what kind of winter it is. I can remember four years ago when Sudbury and north had no snow, they were all riding in d9 area. Last year I spent about 350 in fuel trailering to put on 1100km. I had fun, so hopefully the trailering miles go down this winter. If I had to go all the way to Timmins to ride, I will just give up now.

- Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining!

- I left sledding in '95 and got back into 3 years ago.

- I missed it HUGE!!

- I know the #'s I quoted vary greatly with everyone, but I just wanted to show it.

- I know there's "1 time" purchases, but there's maintenance in there as well.

- I know that everything costs money, but there's alot of guys out there that don't sled with their wives and kids.

- Those are the ones that have a hard time justifying the costs when they only get to ride a few times a year.

- Don't sweat it...it's going to start snowing in early November, we'll all be riding by Christmas!

I will be happy if I can wear my toque by family day.

- Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining!

- I left sledding in '95 and got back into 3 years ago.

- I missed it HUGE!!

- I know the #'s I quoted vary greatly with everyone, but I just wanted to show it.

- I know there's "1 time" purchases, but there's maintenance in there as well.

- I know that everything costs money, but there's alot of guys out there that don't sled with their wives and kids.

- Those are the ones that have a hard time justifying the costs when they only get to ride a few times a year.

- Don't sweat it...it's going to start snowing in early November, we'll all be riding by Christmas!

I like your optimism. It was only a few years ago that we went to my mothers in Wasaga for Christmas. They had a few feet of snow on the ground so I took the sleds with us and went riding Christmas day.

trailer sounds good 02sled but out of my price range i have a line on a tritan 10 foot enclosed all aluminum for 1500 anyone know if these are good trailers?

Only issue is everyone is selling thier 10 foots because long track sleds won't fit in. If you only have 121" sleds it will be fine.

ya no long ones here will be so much easier hope my wife has a sence of humour :hyper:

trailer sounds good 02sled but out of my price range i have a line on a tritan 10 foot enclosed all aluminum for 1500 anyone know if these are good trailers?

Triton is a good quality trailer.... for that price I would ask myself what's wrong with it. If it sounds too good to be true it often is but every now and then you find someone who is basically giving it away and this just may be the case. Don't snooze and lose... check it out quick before someone else does.

Triton is a good quality trailer.... for that price I would ask myself what's wrong with it. If it sounds too good to be true it often is but every now and then you find someone who is basically giving it away and this just may be the case. Don't snooze and lose... check it out quick before someone else does.

10 foot is a big negative for many people. This would limit the market for this trailer. I've had 2 tritons and they were great.

10 foot is a big negative for many people. This would limit the market for this trailer. I've had 2 tritons and they were great.

I used to have a two up Grand Touring on it and it fit. I also have had an old Cat 4 stroke 2 up touring sled on it and it had a massive luggage rack and it fit as well. With that curl at the front for the skis it will hold a fair size. For some it will be a problem for many it may not.

Can I backup a bit to the psotings about weight of truck and trailer needing to be certified.

If 9900 lbs is the limit for truck and trailer.........what about all these 30 foot or more travel trailers dual axle being pulled by pickup trucks? Do they need to be certified to ?

I am asking because at times I borrow a dual axle trailer to haul my compact tractor. My tractor with implements weighs 2600 , the trailer ?...........and the truck is the typical 2008 Dodge 4 x4 Hemi with extra cab . I guess i should find some weigh scales and weigh everything before heading down the transcanada highway.

Travel trailers are usually not designed to carry a load. The weight is based on the GVWR of Truck and Trailer.

The experts can chime in from here.

There is an exemption for travel trailers.

Can I backup a bit to the psotings about weight of truck and trailer needing to be certified.

If 9900 lbs is the limit for truck and trailer.........what about all these 30 foot or more travel trailers dual axle being pulled by pickup trucks? Do they need to be certified to ?

I am asking because at times I borrow a dual axle trailer to haul my compact tractor. My tractor with implements weighs 2600 , the trailer ?...........and the truck is the typical 2008 Dodge 4 x4 Hemi with extra cab . I guess i should find some weigh scales and weigh everything before heading down the transcanada highway.

If memory serves me correct RV trailers are exempt from this. So as long as the GRVW of the truck is below the weight you would be safe. Just about every other trailer though requires inspection. You are likely in need of an inspection with the combination you mentioned. Check the registered GRVW of the truck and trailer combined. It will be on the door jamb of the truck and usually the same plate as the VIN number for the trailer.

When the combination (for truck and trailer added together) of the greater of registered gross weight, manufacturers GVWR (find it on the door jamb sticker) or actual weight exceeds 4,500 kg then annual safety inspections are required for both truck and trailer. A "house trailer" being towed for non-commercial purposes is exempt from the inspection requirement.

A personal use truck and personal use trailer are generally exempt from stopping at highway weight scales, performing daily driver vehicle inspections, keeping hours-of-service log books and CVOR.

A dually pickup has GVWR over 4,500 kg on its own so always needs to be inspected. A dual axle trailer is probably GVWR of 3,200 kg so will require inspection as almost any vehicle capable of of towing it safely would put the combination over 4,500 kg (my chev 2500 has actual weight of about 3,500 kg and GVWR of around 4,200 if I recall correctly).

If your tow vechicle and trailer weigh more then 9900 ibs you need to get both Safetied and certified once a year. If you are pulling a dual axle enclosed trailer with pickup you will be easily over the weight. The fines are steep and cops target people with the dual axles knowing they are over weight.

It's not if it weighs more than 9900 lbs. it is if it is capable of weighing more than 9900 lbs. My wife's horse trailer is aluminum and with one horse is around 2500 lbs. It has two axles rated at 3500 lbs each so 7000 lbs total. The truck and trailer on a scale is under the 9900 lbs. but because of the ratings needs inspection

Wow, thanks for the correction o2. This is why I just have a single axle enclosed. Pretty much every dual axle trailer and pickup will be capable of weighing more then 9900 ibs. You could always camp with the horse and then it is a rv trailer, rodeo style. Lol. I believe in the regulations horse trailers with living quarters don't qualify as an rv trailer. So you defiantly need the safety done.

Wow, thanks for the correction o2. This is why I just have a single axle enclosed. Pretty much every dual axle trailer and pickup will be capable of weighing more then 9900 ibs. You could always camp with the horse and then it is a rv trailer, rodeo style. Lol. I believe in the regulations horse trailers with living quarters don't qualify as an rv trailer. So you defiantly need the safety done.

Now to make everything totally clear as mud. You have a 1 ton pickup. On it's own it requires an inspection sticker based on it's RGVW. Now you have a 1/2 ton pickup and it doesn't need an inspections sticker. Add a 2 place single axle sled trailer still no inspection sticker required for the 1/2 ton or the trailer. Take that same 2 place single axle sled trailer and hook it up to the 1 ton pickup and the 2 place single axle sled trailer needs an inspection sticker since it is now part of the combined unit with a RGVW over 9900 lbs.

Okay I understand now if I sleep with my horse or my tractor in the dual axle trailer they will think I am a recreational driver with a fetish and will not require certifications , :geek2:

Wow the MTO sure has their priorities straight .............clear as mud is right !

Okay I understand now if I sleep with my horse or my tractor in the dual axle trailer they will think I am a recreational driver with a fetish and will not require certifications , :geek2:

Wow the MTO sure has their priorities straight .............clear as mud is right !

Now you are getting scary... sleep with the horse or tractor. That almost sounds like something I would expect to hear from someone else hear who shall go unnamed.

Guys it's not as easy as throwing a mattress in your trailer and thinking its an Rv believe me just ask iceprick, he has what I would consider a true Rv/car hauler and he still got nailed.

These regs are absolutely retarded, in fact I would argue that they are that way to confuse us in the hopes the more charges stick in court.

My best advice if your not sure about your weight combo is to go to a weigh scale, weigh your set up and then print the laws from the Mto website and carry them with you at all times.

Clear as mud indeed.

The fine for not having an inspection sticker is $240.

:icon_tinykitball:

Did they pull you over on the long weekend in feb too? I seen lots of guys being pulled with dual axles. Like they were hunting everyone down.

Guys it's not as easy as throwing a mattress in your trailer and thinking its an Rv believe me just ask iceprick, he has what I would consider a true Rv/car hauler and he still got nailed.

These regs are absolutely retarded, in fact I would argue that they are that way to confuse us in the hopes the more charges stick in court.

My best advice if your not sure about your weight combo is to go to a weigh scale, weigh your set up and then print the laws from the Mto website and carry them with you at all times.

Clear as mud indeed.

In order to be a camper it must have permanentt washroom and sewage facilities ,permanent kitchen and cooking facilities as well as grey water tank and fresh water tank as well proper living quarters. Then it must have no commercial uses or business ownership.

Archived