Ont Registration Sticker

Puggz

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

This is mine!

At the time I was stopped (Whitney area approx 2 years ago) my validation sticker was 3" to the right of my reg numbers.

Perhaps he was mistaken/unclear/ or someone pissed in his corn flakes that morning, dunno:wtf:

Anyone else been questioned as to the location of the val tag?

20171208_110403A.jpg

I have never had my Val tag in that close of a proximity to the numbers. I've never been challenged on it either. Right now the tag is about 18 inches away. It's clearly visible and it seems so far those I have come across are happy as long as they don't have to search for it.

3 hours ago, gobills said:

Not my val tag.  But while in quebec it took them about 15 mins to make sure my licence numbers were ok as I do not have a big ugly blue licence plate on the side of my sleds.  Same as many of you custom numbers.  After them cross referencing my registration and my numbers by 5 guys they let us go.

They did not believe me that we were allowed to do this in Ontario.  In quebec a lot of them have plates on their flaps.

One time in quebec the warden cross checked the VIN on the sled to the ownership. Never had that done here in Ontario on any vehicle. I actually thought it was fine to do, if you are going to make me present all my documents, might as well do it right. Not to mention sled theft in Qc is a plague.

We were stopped one time by OPP and they checked VIN on the tunnels.  Also had an issue near Bracebridge the first year my daughter was riding her own sled.  This was probably 2010 or 2011, and she was riding a new to her 2002 VMax.  The number was the white and blue MTO number plate and was on the tunnel.  The cop threatened to charge her with the number being in the wrong place.  I tried to talk to him and explain that the sticker was in a permissible spot, but he would have none of it.  That sticker was probably in that location from when the sled was first registered!

He let her off with a warning and she got custom numbers the next week.

I had a similar experience with the OPP when fishing woods bay last summer.  He was convinced that I needed flares yet the rules clearly state that you have to be over 19'8" etc etc.  I patiently waited for him to check the regs and when he couldn't fine me for that, he went looking elsewhere. 

Just like any profession out there, there are those who are good at their job, and others that just arn't. My best advice is to be patient and polite. 

I was stopped by the opp a few years ago( 15/ 16season) on a Saturday afternoon around 2 pm . Handed the nice officer all my paper work  he walked around my sled handed me my paper work back pulled out his ticket  book and the asked me  why I was special and did not need at currant val tag .  My reply was whats not legal a Aug 2016 tag, book was put away no ticket.

But this is what gets me worked up , Cops are out on Saturday and Sunday afternoon checking sleds when 99.9 % of sleds will be legal. But try to get them out at night when the locals who don,t have license,  insurance or a trail pass run from watering hole to watering hole and on top of that wont stay on the trail.

WE have no stop trail patrol has no teeth ( Walmart greater)but i guise it looks good to say we stopped 200 sleds and we only issued 4 tickets for val tags being placed to far from numbers.

Just wish they would be out at the times we all know are problem times. This is why trails continue to close.

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

I had a similar experience with the OPP when fishing woods bay last summer.  He was convinced that I needed flares yet the rules clearly state that you have to be over 19'8" etc etc.  I patiently waited for him to check the regs and when he couldn't fine me for that, he went looking elsewhere. 

Just like any profession out there, there are those who are good at their job, and others that just arn't. My best advice is to be patient and polite. 

Nothing like giving an education to a public servant that thinks they know all.  I've had similar experiences in my boat, seems most don't know the laws and rules on the water and try to enforce regulations for different size vessels when they don't apply.    Most officers are never wrong and to point it out only seems to aggravate the situation.

4 hours ago, Puggz said:

You also need to be on a lake where you can be over a nautical mile from shore to need flares. I went through that. He wouldn't believe me. I took the charts and the coast guard regulations to court and said show me any spot on the lake where this is possible.

charges were dismissed and the cop was gently chastised by the judge since I had pointed out the exemption to him and he chose to ignore the facts. There were two of them in the boat and they had what appeared to be two summer students with them. He had also given me a hard time because my batteries were with but not in the flashlight . 

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

You also need to be on a lake where you can be over a nautical mile from shore to need flares. I went through that. He wouldn't believe me. I took the charts and the coast guard regulations to court and said show me any spot on the lake where this is possible.

charges were dismissed and the cop was gently chastised by the judge since I had pointed out the exemption to him and he chose to ignore the facts. There were two of them in the boat and they had what appeared to be two summer students with them. He had also given me a hard time because my batteries were with but not in the flashlight . 

Yep, fun times.  The guy questioned my flashlight batteries then I showed him my spares.  He also thought my mag light wasn't waterproof, he would prefer to see a $5 plastic flashlight that comes in the cheap safety kit.  And the heaving line, they don't care if it even works, just that I have it.

My buddy has an answer that works.  He has the table from the regulations laminated with the location of each item identified.  He gives that to the cops and says, have at 'er.  Just don't break anything :)

Typically I have never had a problem with any of the stops on the water. They have a job to do. Just this one time did I have someone get picky and be wrong while at it. Usually they ask if I've had anything to drink and want to see each person on board hold up a lifejacket that fits them.

I remember one of them telling me about a boater that was determined to give them a hard time. All they initially wanted to see was lifejackets for each person. He resented being stopped. He was giving them all kinds of attitude. They were now checking everything. When they asked to see a manual bailer he took off his shoe and said here.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Typically I have never had a problem with any of the stops on the water. They have a job to do. Just this one time did I have someone get picky and be wrong while at it. Usually they ask if I've had anything to drink and want to see each person on board hold up a lifejacket that fits them.

I remember one of them telling me about a boater that was determined to give them a hard time. All they initially wanted to see was lifejackets for each person. He resented being stopped. He was giving them all kinds of attitude. They were now checking everything. When they asked to see a manual bailer he took off his shoe and said here.

Not surprised, they get all the shi*** as well. People with no manners.  Look at the job they "chose" to do.  They do deserve a bit of respect.  Sure, there's always the bad apple, but most are guys we'd hang with.

I honestly can’t tell that the red is off even after reading it. Nice choice.

When you get your Val tag and license plate for sled, doesn’t it state that the Reg numbers and tag have to be together. You can’t put numbers at the bottom of a side panel and the Val tag up near your windshield for instance....can you??? Suppose to be like a normal license plate. Tag on the plate 

7 hours ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

When you get your Val tag and license plate for sled, doesn’t it state that the Reg numbers and tag have to be together. You can’t put numbers at the bottom of a side panel and the Val tag up near your windshield for instance....can you??? Suppose to be like a normal license plate. Tag on the plate 

I believe you are correct by the letter of the law.

I’ve never had mine together with custom numbers before (25+ years) and have been stopped by multiple opp and Quebec police  ride checks / radar and never had a problem. I always put Val tag sticker top left of the panel (pic angle a little off for tag) and the first thing anyone will see on the sled as they approach the driver from the left.

My take is the OPP  have bigger fish to fry than to write up an individual they stop - who is polite, sober (I don’t have a drink until Day riding is done), easily shows valid insurance slip , numbers on sled and a val tag easy to see, but not next to their custom numbers ......just my opinion 

2D9913BB-E33A-4E20-A3D3-7CA1932C0A45.jpeg

Thanks Guys and Gals, lots of ideas!  I ordered custom letters (Lime w/silver border) from the sticker shop.  This is gonna look much better than the MTO stickers for sure.

Be safe!

P.

Eight of us out sledding Wednesday and were stopped by two OPP on sleds just outside Brussels. Checked to make sure permits and all was good. Nice guys, as they head had just helped two other sledders out of ditch they sucked into.

WIN_20180105_13_20_41_Pro.jpg

3 hours ago, Yamatario said:

Eight of us out sledding Wednesday and were stopped by two OPP on sleds just outside Brussels. Checked to make sure permits and all was good. Nice guys, as they head had just helped two other sledders out of ditch they sucked into.

WIN_20180105_13_20_41_Pro.jpg

Just about every one of them I have come across is a good guy. Someone you wouldn't hesitate to spend time with. Even when they're not on the job you can likely count on them to stop and help anyone in need.

Archived