Today's ride in Manitoba 12/20/2017

rws

243 mile (391 km) ride on a combination of groomed, packed and un-groomed trails. Staged out of Woodridge. The 2018 ZR 8000 RR (Ride Ready..haha) handled the roughest of the un-groomed trails with comfort. Saw one other sled all day.

Trail choice for today's ride...

Sled12202107Mapsource.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_2.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_3.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_4.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_5.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_6.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_7.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_8.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_9.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_10.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_11.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_12.jpg

those LED lights sure make it nice for loading and securing the sled in the dark...

Sled-Ride-12202017_13.jpg[/QUOTE]

Beauty pics, thanks for sharing !!

I've been thinking of putting in a couple of lights on mine too, for the same reason.  Salt shield blocks any light from the pickup truck ....

Awesome pics as always RWS! 

3 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Beauty pics, thanks for sharing !!

I've been thinking of putting in a couple of lights on mine too, for the same reason.  Salt shield blocks any light from the pickup truck ....

Silly question but wouldn't it be just as easy or perhaps easier to leave the sled running while you clamp it down and rely on the headlight to illuminate.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Silly question but wouldn't it be just as easy or perhaps easier to leave the sled running while you clamp it down and rely on the headlight to illuminate.

Easy, yes.  Toxic, yes.  Migraine, yes.

'nuff said.

21 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Easy, yes.  Toxic, yes.  Migraine, yes.

'nuff said.

I would agree if it were in an enclosed trailer but we're talking outdoors on an open trailer are we not. I would have thought it wouldn't be any more toxic than sitting on your sled while it idles away.

That's why with my enclosed trailer I open up all the ramp, man door and front access door while they warm up and wait outside. Fortunately the trailer has an interior light for loading. At the same time though the truck is idling warming up while I clamp down the sleds. At least the trailer walls keep the truck exhaust out.

I breathe enough exhaust fumes at work... not going to do it on my leisure time too.  Trailer deck is almost tailgate height and that puts your head close to the exhaust outlet while screwing down the ski clamp. 

14 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

I noticed it doesn't take long to get the grey side panel all brown from the exhaust!

Belt dust maybe? I hope it isn't exhaust.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:13 PM, rws said:

243 mile (391 km) ride on a combination of groomed, packed and un-groomed trails. Staged out of Woodridge. The 2018 ZR 8000 RR (Ride Ready..haha) handled the roughest of the un-groomed trails with comfort. Saw one other sled all day.

Trail choice for today's ride...

Sled12202107Mapsource.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_2.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_3.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_4.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_5.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_6.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_7.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_8.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_9.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_10.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_11.jpg

Sled-Ride-12202017_12.jpg

those LED lights sure make it nice for loading and securing the sled in the dark...

Sled-Ride-12202017_13.jpg[/QUOTE]

Thanks for these pictures rws.  Very good to see while waiting to ride.

I have this same motor now and was wondering about the real mileage the sled gets on these fast cruising trails and actually more interested in the oil usage after break-in.  So on this days ride, how much of the reservoir do you guess needed to be refilled?  If you have any real world info, I will trust what you relate.

I have only run my sled about 1.5 miles which all felt nice except when I tried to briefly push it hard.  It seemed to say no.  There may be a computer involved with that?

I need to get north to put some miles on the sled before I will really know.

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

Thanks for these pictures rws.  Very good to see while waiting to ride.

I have this same motor now and was wondering about the real mileage the sled gets on these fast cruising trails and actually more interested in the oil usage after break-in.  So on this days ride, how much of the reservoir do you guess needed to be refilled?  If you have any real world info, I will trust what you relate.

I have only run my sled about 1.5 miles which all felt nice except when I tried to briefly push it hard.  It seemed to say no.  There may be a computer involved with that?

I need to get north to put some miles on the sled before I will really know.

411 miles used 28.5 gallons of gas and 52 oz of oil

These engines have a 2 stage break-in for a duration of 6 hours....see page 6 of the owners manual

Stage 1 ECM provides additional fuel and oil and limits rpm to 6500 for the first 18 minutes

Stage 2 after the first 18 minutes and for the remainder of the 6 hour break-in the ECM eliminates the rpm limiter and still provides extra gas and oil but not as much as the first 18 minutes.

After you reach the 6 hour break-in time it reduces the gas and oil to the normal operating specs and you will notice a big difference in performance.

rws,

Thanks so much for the info!

Scott

Archived