Dangerous driving ticket???

Pstn head

I was told that if your clocked doing 50km over the posted speed limit on the trails that you could have your sled confiscated and dangerous driving, points, tickets etc. just like on the road ways. Is this true?

I don't think so... they are 2 different act, Hwy traffic act and the snowmobile act so the the speeding tickets are different... I think in snowmobiling you just get the basic 110 price but if they judge that you where being careless I think they can get you on other charges. So I think the "sled confiscated " don't apply here.

That's just under the street racing law.... But I'm sure theis a dangerous or even reckless driving charge can be used somewhere on the trail.

Mind you if it was in an area where your riding on the street and running 50km over on your self than maybe they could take your sled because now your on the street and not the trail.

Didn't happen to me when I got clocked going over 50 km/hr over the limit.

The Officer (OPP) even said that the racing law didn't apply, nor would I get any points on my driver licence.

Exactly! Different Act. HTA vs MSVA

Criminal Code of Canada: http://www.ottlegal....riving-Law.html

:)

Exactly. Dangerous Driving is under both the HTA and the Criminal Code.

Many HTA laws are duplicated in the Criminal Code for use when the incident occurs on private property. For example, Fail to Remain at the Scene of an Accident is in both. If you hit another vehicle in a mall parking lot and leave the scene, the charge is Criminal. The penalties greater and even the license suspension is different. My last recollection is 1 year Suspension under the HTA and 2 years under the Criminal Code.

Didn't happen to me when I got clocked going over 50 km/hr over the limit.

The Officer (OPP) even said that the racing law didn't apply, nor would I get any points on my driver licence.

Usually if you get caught for speeding on the trails, the ticket will be for trespassing. Like the others have said technically there is no speed limit on the trails under the HTA. What the OFSC says is that you are only allowed to go 50 km on the trails and if you are going faster than that you are not allowed on the trails and the ticket is trespassing.

From what I remember, the ticket was not for trespassing, but driving over the speed limit.

It stated that I was going 50 km/hr over the posted limit of 50 km/hr.

And yes, he reduced it from 120 km/hr?

And yes, he clocked me as I was already slowing down. :drool-1:

Damn abandoned railbed.

Usually if you get caught for speeding on the trails, the ticket will be for trespassing. Like the others have said technically there is no speed limit on the trails under the HTA. What the OFSC says is that you are only allowed to go 50 km on the trails and if you are going faster than that you are not allowed on the trails and the ticket is trespassing.

That is NOT CORRECT!

If you get caught for speeding on the trails, you will be charged with speeding under the MSVA. The MSVA specifies the Maximum speed for the trails.

You will only be charged for trespassing, if you are riding off trail or if you are on the trails without a permit.

At the risk of starting a firestorm of comments... any police department and especially the OPP are really only interested in how many dollars they can get out of your pocket and into the provincial/municiple coffers. Anyone remember the "ticket to the limit" blitzes on the 400 series highways a few years ago?? Their own motto, safety through enforcement??? Need I say more?? Of course its all done to you under the guise of public safety but the sad fact remains that the unwritten primary objective is to make you feel the pain by paying with cold hard cash for your "infraction".

Anyone like me who has succesfully gone through the court system (several, no,,,, many times) to fight a speeding tickets can attest to these facts. Its all about $$$$$$. Nothing else. The sytem doesn't even want you clogging up the courts with speeding charges, hence the reduced charge, monetary fine and guilty confession to the lesser charge upon your first appearance.

DUI's, street racing and dangerous driving are separate issues. Speeding charges are a cash cow for both the province and municiple governments. I'm suprised they haven't tried to implement Community Safety Zones on high traffic areas on OFSC trails. Double the cash fines!

And we wonder why people are off driving off in the fields and riding on closed trails... we don't even understand the rules regarding something as simple as speeding. How is anyone supposed to understand those more complex rules? :D

I speed, i get caught I pay for breaking the law, it's pretty simple and i am getting good at it wish the courts would take my aeroplan card

I got pinched a few times speeding. I pay the fine and listen to the lecture about why speeding is unsafe. It just adds $110 to the cost of my ride.

I was told that if your clocked doing 50km over the posted speed limit on the trails that you could have your sled confiscated and dangerous driving, points, tickets etc. just like on the road ways. Is this true?

Cannot confiscate your sled or even have any effect on your insurance. $110 fine regardless of how much over the speed limit.

That is NOT CORRECT!

If you get caught for speeding on the trails, you will be charged with speeding under the MSVA. The MSVA specifies the Maximum speed for the trails.

You will only be charged for trespassing, if you are riding off trail or if you are on the trails without a permit.

Or if you are riding on a closed trail.

Or if you are riding on a closed trail.

Right, that one as well!

Cannot confiscate your sled or even have any effect on your insurance. $110 fine regardless of how much over the speed limit.

The law should change for those who ride without a permit or no insurance!

The law should change for those who ride without a permit or no insurance!

Shot them where they stand... :)

Or maybe $1000 fine would be less paperwork LOL, but problem there, raise the fine, more people might try and run than it becomes a safety thing for those running and the rest of us on the trail they might run in too

Archived