Ride RIGHT Please

revrnd

I rode E107 south out of Apsley to break the trails on our woodlot for the deer. Well I wasn't impressed w/ what I saw. The trail had been groomed yesterday before the snowfall ended, so there was some fresh undisturbed snow on it. To the untrained eye, it looked like only 1 sled had been on it (I had met 2 northbound sleds) because the riders had played follow the leader. After I met the 2 sleds you could see where they had ridden all over the trail.

On the way back north I could see where riders had made no attempt to stay to their side of the trail on hills & corners. At 1 spot @ the top of a hill (w/ a corner thrown in)there was about a foot & a half of untouched snow between the previous sled tracks & the groomer "cut". Adding that to a 4' wide sled leaves only 2 & a half feet for an oncoming sled. The trail is flat & was not "bermed" so there is no physical reason for a rider not being able to keep their sled to the outside of the trail.

Is it any wonder there are head on collisions?

End of rant.

I wouldn't call that a rant rather than a common sense public service announcement.

Too bad a select few still do not practice common sence these days, hopefully with education we can educate the stupid ones :headbang:

I wouldn't call that a rant rather than a common sense public service announcement.

Too bad a select few still do not practice common sence these days, hopefully with education we can educate the stupid ones :headbang:

nop, i tried that and found that stupid is forever, you can't fix stupid. :rotflmao:

For some I am afaid that there is no education that does not involve a good beating :headbang: I was riding with a friend the other night when the moron decided to pass at the top of the hill. I hit the brakes hard to allow space for him to regain the correct side the three of us that were with him tried talking to him at this point he told us that we were wasting our breath as he will ride howevr he wants. We all informed him that he was no longer allowed to ride with any of us to which he responded with taking off like an ahole. I hope that he learns before we have to clean up a mess as the three of us are firefighters,

For some I am afaid that there is no education that does not involve a good beating :headbang: I was riding with a friend the other night when the moron decided to pass at the top of the hill. I hit the brakes hard to allow space for him to regain the correct side the three of us that were with him tried talking to him at this point he told us that we were wasting our breath as he will ride howevr he wants. We all informed him that he was no longer allowed to ride with any of us to which he responded with taking off like an ahole. I hope that he learns before we have to clean up a mess as the three of us are firefighters,

:right_on:

You have to wonder if these people think that "things" won't happen to them, only other people :rolleyes: ?

Good on ya Wildbill! We ride fast, but only at night where we can see long distances across the fields etc..... but NEVER do we pass - even in the fields -- it's just not worth it.

Too much testostorone perhaps? Hopefully your buddy realized that he's being and arse and apologizes --best for everyone involved perhaps.

Some clown just about hit me and my buddy head on today. We were heading through a swamp like trail area only big enough for 2 sleds side by side. A gigantic arctic cat comes around the corner right in my path. Too add to my fear, this fella decides to take one hand off his handlebars and give me a signal that his buddy is following. Keep in mind, this is mid-turn and about .5 seconds after he nearly collided head on with my buddy.

Glad i'm alive!

I thought all the throttle jockeys were over here on D-Trail in Bracebridge :unsure:

you take your life in your hands riding here on a weekend , on weekends Im a hockey dad and I ride during the week

See my sig line? Its there for a reason. I ride south Muskoka on weekends.

:right_on:

was out yesterday on D trail near bracebridge & lead sled came very close to getting hit by on coming sled around a tight corner...so close my buddy had to slam the brakes on...with no where to go...with the latest accidents you think riders would take more care...everybody be careful...

Staying right is so important. The weird thing is it's not just the fast riders that are doing this.

I do ride fast. I stand up through the moguls and corner fast. I will cut to the inside corner when there is visibility (lots of field running near me) because I like to push the sled. On the plus side, I have studs, good carbides and I never drink any booze when I ride. So as a consequence I catch up to slow moving groups a fair bit.

I am shocked by the amount of slow moving riders that spend half their time on the wrong side of the trail. I don't get it. Do they think the trails are one way? Followed on group last weekend with 4 sleds. They were going over blind hills and around corners on the wrong side of the trail while looking at the beautiful scenery. I backed way off because I didn't want to be part of the mess that was sure to happen. Funny thing is that they had mirrors on two of the sleds and seemed oblivious to the fact that we were even behind them.

If I met them coming the other way, I would probably scare the crap out of them. I'd be moving fast, on my side of the trail, they'd have to swerve to avoid a collision and 10 to 1 they would think they hadn't done anything wrong. I would be that maniac. My close calls have all been people like this who are shocked at oncoming traffic nail the brakes with no studs and slide across my path.

I have always been able to nail the brakes, get way right and watch them slide by.

I'll admit I've misjudged some turns and caught ice that has caused me to slide to the outside in corners but the challenge for me is to move at a good clip while keeping on my side. I stay right on hills and stand up to increase vision.

Maybe making the trails one way would help but there are not enough trails to make this work.

Besides, those same idiots who ride on the right would end up stopped for a "beveredge" break just over a blind hill.

It's a great sport with a lot of cool people. Too bad we have such a large assortment of idiots.

Staying right is so important. The weird thing is it's not just the fast riders that are doing this.

I am shocked by the amount of slow moving riders that spend half their time on the wrong side of the trail. I don't get it. Do they think the trails are one way? Followed on group last weekend with 4 sleds. They were going over blind hills and around corners on the wrong side of the trail while looking at the beautiful scenery. I backed way off because I didn't want to be part of the mess that was sure to happen. Funny thing is that they had mirrors on two of the sleds and seemed oblivious to the fact that we were even behind them.

Besides, those same idiots who ride on the right would end up stopped for a "beveredge" break just over a blind hill.

It's a great sport with a lot of cool people. Too bad we have such a large assortment of idiots.

Kev, you hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty sure we've all caught up to groups like that just weaving along the trail in their own little world. I followed a pair of Indy Lites riding straight down the middle of the trail. Even going up hills they made no effort to move right. If a sno x wannabe (hugging his side of the trail) collided w/ the leader, he would've been blamed.

Also, the next time you watch a sledding show on TV, most of the time even the "tame" riders are riding down the middle of the trail.

I do ride fast. I stand up through the moguls and corner fast. I will cut to the inside corner when there is visibility (lots of field running near me) because I like to push the sled. On the plus side, I have studs, good carbides and I never drink any booze when I ride. So as a consequence I catch up to slow moving groups a fair bit.

If I met them coming the other way, I would probably scare the crap out of them. I'd be moving fast, on my side of the trail, they'd have to swerve to avoid a collision and 10 to 1 they would think they hadn't done anything wrong. I would be that maniac. My close calls have all been people like this who are shocked at oncoming traffic nail the brakes with no studs and slide across my path.

I have always been able to nail the brakes, get way right and watch them slide by.

I'll admit I've misjudged some turns and caught ice that has caused me to slide to the outside in corners but the challenge for me is to move at a good clip while keeping on my side. I stay right on hills and stand up to increase vision.

Maybe making the trails one way would help but there are not enough trails to make this work.

:rotflmao::icon_doh:

I espesialy love the ones who park it 4 wide one the trail just around a corner or over the peak of a hill.. Cant people just think --stay to the right keep it in control and dont play with your life or others..I find taxi drivers downtown toronto have more respect most days out..IF YOU WANT TO GO NUTS FIND A LAKE FROZEN OR NOT.. I got to work on monday or my family staves get it..

I was riding the Seguin this weekend and almost took a sled head on because the idiot was going way too fast and cleared the hill I was climbing in my lane. Good thing I was going the POSTED speed limit and had already slowed down (just in case). He barely missed me and of course follwed that up with the riders following signal. I of course got over as far as I could go to avoid the next idiot doing the same thing. Thankfully my 65 year old father was following at a safe distance.

I was riding last weekend with my little guy, just after the C and B103 intersection (South Barrie) up the hydro line 2 sleds side by each on a corner at the top of a hill come flying around the corner, I go off trail to avoid a collision and it was close, and the sleds did not even stop to see if we were o.k. A little while later on our ride back, someone passed us on the rail line, but was fish tailing, my son hits me on the arm to stop and told me that was the guy who almost hit us because of the way he was driving. If I was by myself or with riding buddies I might have given thought of going after him. Take care everyone.

4mysled

Good eye on the little guy.

It shouldn't be hard to show him how NOT to snowmobile w/ idgits like that on the trail :banghead: .

I couldn't agree more!!

I was riding the Seguin this weekend and almost took a sled head on because the idiot was going way too fast and cleared the hill I was climbing in my lane. Good thing I was going the POSTED speed limit and had already slowed down (just in case). He barely missed me and of course follwed that up with the riders following signal. I of course got over as far as I could go to avoid the next idiot doing the same thing. Thankfully my 65 year old father was following at a safe distance.

So refreshing. A sane person speaking out about slowing down and traveling at the limits. In other forums there is a group that believe that on trails like the Seguin and straight ahead flat it is insane to limit the speed to 50. They think 100 is reasonable. I would rather ride with you than one of those fools anytime.

Thanks 02, lakes are where I let it stretch it's legs alittle. Trails are usually too narrow for full throttle riding and requires grabbing the brake from time to time which will eat up a trail quickly. With the marginal snow coverage in spots, a litle less throttle will keep it good for the riders that are sharing the trail with you.

Thanks 02, lakes are where I let it stretch it's legs alittle. Trails are usually too narrow for full throttle riding and requires grabbing the brake from time to time which will eat up a trail quickly. With the marginal snow coverage in spots, a litle less throttle will keep it good for the riders that are sharing the trail with you.

"With the marginal snow coverage in spots, a litle less throttle will keep it good for the riders that are sharing the trail with you." :right_on:

"With the marginal snow coverage in spots, a litle less throttle will keep it good for the riders that are sharing the trail with you." :right_on:

:right_on::right_on::right_on:

This is why most trails here are one ways, too many idgits ride all over the trails thinking its a race track :crazy_grn: and we don't have speed limits here. On my ride yesterday ran into a group on Polaris' that must have thought they were back in England :coffeenose:

Archived