40 YEARS AGO TODAY

Doonut

I hope your wife can start riding again. As someone who has had minor back problems, can I suggest a couple of things? First, if the sled does not have dual carbides, try them. They almost totally eliminate the darting and the stress on the back and shoulders by fighting to keep your body straight.

Second, a few years ago, I started wearing a TekVest. It is amazing how much support it gives your back! The Tekvest offers protection from injuries if you have an Oops, but the comfort from the back support is one of the reasons that I won't ride without it.

I hope this helps and that you will still be riding for years to come.

Thanks for the suggestions Sledjunk.

My wife had back surgery 17 months ago and all things considered has had a miraculous recovery.

She rides a 07 Polaris 600 IQ LX with an M10 suspension,plastic skies and dual carbides.

I have spent much time researching for anything that may help her ride again comfortably and

I believe she has the best machine out there for her problem.

I had never thought about the TekVest until you mentioned it and that is a product that I will

check out for her,Thank You.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Sean.. Ready for another mid-week Pock Hock & Sauzerkraut ride to Hidleberg?

How many years have you been a sledder? I have been sleeding for 29 years (this month).. 100% off trail riding from my parents farm. Lots of drift smashing and getting stuck in those days...

Is it still worth it to you? Yup, it the best mod of transportation that I have ever used.. Pure fun :)

Will you ever give it up? Never.....

Happy Trails... Rick

PS: Question for you.. Will we have another DooNut Ice Ride from Gravenhurst this year.. The weather has not allowed us to doo that for 2 years now.. .

PS: Question for you.. Will we have another DooNut Ice Ride from Gravenhurst this year.. The weather has not allowed us to doo that for 2 years now.. .

Funny you should ask that Rick. I just answered the same question from Maple in the "Ice Caves" thread.

In short, weather and ice permitting, late Feb or early March would be good with me. :)

First sled ride - winter of 1964 - on Clear Lake in Kawarthas. My uncle had a friend (Don Nelson?) from Peterborough who had these wonderful machines called Ski-doos. I went there with my father and my uncle, and got to drive one by myself, on the ice and through the woods. I was hooked at 8 years old. Between my dad and myself, we have owned a 1965 ski-doo, 1969 Nordic, 1970 Olympicque 12/3, 1971 Olympique 335, 1973 Elan 250 Single, 1979 Moto-Ski Nuvik 340E, 1980 Enticer 250, 1981 Yamaha Bravo 250, 1999 MXZ 440, 2000 Formula 600, 2001 MXZ 700, 2003 Legend 500, leading to the present 2008 MXZ 500SS. And, last year bought my unfinished restoration project - 1971 TNT 292.

Jeez - 14 sleds. I better watch out, this might get habit-forming.

in for the long haul,,,started in 1967 on a 1968 Boa-Ski Cobra,,,,when I got to high school I rode my then 1971 polaris 292 charger back and forth,13 miles each way,by road,lol,no idea how many fields and backroads I travelled on.

Biggest single trip was in 1993,,,rode around lake Superior in 14 days and 2700 miles,,,, :mrgreen:

Most memmorable,,,Cooke City Montana,,,,, :right_on::right_on:

1968 Boa-Ski Cobra

1969 Boa-Ski Cobra

1971 Polaris 292

1972 Skidoo Olympic 340

1975 Yamaha 443 GPX

1980 Arctic Cat Panther 440

1981 Polaris Gemini 300

1985 Arctco Cougar 500 Fan

1988 Arctco El’Tigre 5000

1989 Arctco El’Tigre 6000

1990 Arctic Cat Prowler 440 prototype #308

1991 Arctic Cat Prowler

1992 Arctic Cat 550 Special

1993 Arctic Cat Prowler 440

1993 EXT 550

1994 EXT EFI 580

1995 Cougar 550

1996 EXT EFI 580

1993 Jag 440

1995 Z-440

1997 Jag 440 AWS-5

2000 370-Z still have

2000 370-Z second one

2001 Panther 550

2002 4-Stroke Touring

2003 4-Stroke Touring

2004 T-660 Trail

2005 T-660 Trail

2010 800-CFR special edition

Now I live in Caledon Village 10 and Charleston...I was raised near old school and Bramalea near Mayfield high School why you live in Caledon?

I dont live there.

My Dad Grew up in Mono Road.

My Mom and grandparents had a farm on Kennedy Rd North of Campbell's Cross.

My Aunt and Uncle have a place in Caledon east.

We still have lots of friends in caledon.

Ya it might but I hear good things. :)

My own collection, beyond the old Moto Ski has included a 75 Merc 440 Sno Twister, a 78 Blizzard 5500,an 80 Blizzard 9500, an 81 elan ( the bush beast I wish I still had ) an 85 Formula plus 521, an 88 Formula Plus 521 affectionately named "Friday" by my friends because it tended to blow up on alot of cold Friday nights which became a 583 which became a 612 with pipes, 44's which became a 670 yada yada yada which became sold because I just couldn't take it anymore, a 96 Formula SLS, a 97 Formula Z 583, a 2000 Formula Deluxe 700 ( loved that sled ), a 2003 Beaver tail 600ho Rev followed by my current 04 800ho Gade, the wifey's 06 600sdi gade and Killswitch's mini z,89 Citation 250 E and her current 08 XP TNT.

Beats the heck out of a heroin addiction though. :)

Ya it might but I hear good things. :)

My own collection, beyond the old Moto Ski has included a 75 Merc 440 Sno Twister, a 78 Blizzard 5500,an 80 Blizzard 9500, an 81 elan ( the bush beast I wish I still had ) an 85 Formula plus 521, an 88 Formula Plus 521 affectionately named "Friday" by my friends because it tended to blow up on alot of cold Friday nights which became a 583 which became a 612 with pipes, 44's which became a 670 yada yada yada which became sold because I just couldn't take it anymore, a 96 Formula SLS, a 97 Formula Z 583, a 2000 Formula Deluxe 700 ( loved that sled ), a 2003 Beaver tail 600ho Rev followed by my current 04 800ho Gade, the wifey's 06 600sdi gade and Killswitch's mini z,89 Citation 250 E and her current 08 XP TNT.

Beats the heck out of a heroin addiction though. :)

But probably more expensive! :rotflmao:

yeah,,,,look at the list now,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao: ,,for some reason only half the list printed the first time,,,, :mrgreen:

But probably more expensive! :rotflmao:

a quote from the immortal Burt Reynolds,,,,,,,

45 percent of my money was spend on cars, 45 percent of my money spend on women the other 10 percent I just wasted,,,,
:rotflmao::rotflmao::right_on:

Today I hit a thousand posts on the forums....a great place to celebrate sledding and a great place to share memories of sledding.

Today I hit a thousand posts on the forums....a great place to celebrate sledding and a great place to share memories of sledding.

Do we still have that "special" initiation ceremony for 1,000 post people ?? Let me know and I'll gather up the necessary items of indoctrination ! :twisted:

sledding is all about the memories for sure,,,,,,,,,and the friend's we make along the way,,,,, :right_on::right_on:

I was 15 years old when I bought a brand new 73 Roll-O-Flex Apache (OK, everybody stop laughing) powered by a 340 Yamaha. Thus began my addiction to Yamaha. I was more than a little disappointed to hear Rollo-O-Flex was out of business the next spring. I looked after a farmers herd of pigs for a summer & fall while he visited the old country to pay for it. And a little financial help from family. Haven't spent a year without a sled since, but I've only gone through 6 sleds in all these years. Your right Muddy Tires, we called them all Skidoo's back then.

I was 15 years old when I bought a brand new 73 Roll-O-Flex Apache (OK, everybody stop laughing) powered by a 340 Yamaha. Thus began my addiction to Yamaha. I was more than a little disappointed to hear Rollo-O-Flex was out of business the next spring. I looked after a farmers herd of pigs for a summer & fall while he visited the old country to pay for it. And a little financial help from family. Haven't spent a year without a sled since, but I've only gone through 6 sleds in all these years. Your right Muddy Tires, we called them all Skidoo's back then.

can you believe there is a roll-o-flex forum,,,,,, :whatever::mrgreen:

http://www.roll-o-flex.com/Forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e97f822f377a69bc970542dd2ac337b2&

Wow! Thanks!

I actually was looking for a pic,as I remembered them having aluminum tunnel??? and the forum popped up, :mrgreen: They were a good looking sled in the day,as was harley's version.

I grew up snowmobiling. My uncle got the first sled in our family a 70 Olympic. My brother and father bought 2 Yamahas back in 1972 (GP 433 & 292). I began riding the 292 on my own when I was old enough in the late 70's. My Dad bought a 1975 TnT 340. The first sled I ever bought was a used 1972 Olympic 335 painted red and with a re-upolstered seat that was a foot high (to make up for the lack of suspension). My first new sled was a 1989 Yamaha Bravo. It was a little underpowered so the next year I bought a 1990 Panther AFS Deluxe 440. I bought a 1995 Grand Touring 580 brand new. After selling that sled after having kids I was out of it for a little while, rented a couple of years, bought an old Citation 4500. It was still in my blood. Bought a 1996 XLT Touring used in 2001 and upgraded to a 2002 Pantera last year.

I enjoyed the sport, introduced many friends to it as well. Have buddies at work that enjoy the sport. Thankfully, re-introduced my brother and nefew to the sport as well. It's fun to look out and see 4 sleds out in front of the cottage and have ready riding buddies. Now my son is old enough and loves it and asks me daily when we are going riding next. I splanning on getting his licence as soon as he turns 12 and have me buy him a sled,lol.

I have had the opportunity to ride in many regions throughout the province. You can cover so much ground and see so much of our great province out on the trails. Even though I have to balance work, the kids soccer and hockey I so much enjoy every minute I get out there even though it is not as often as i would like. Although I dont have the money to invest in a brand new machine, hopefully after hockey , soccer and university are over I will. A good weekend, no breakdowns, theres nothing like the high and enjoyment you get out of it.

in for the long haul,,,started in 1967 on a 1968 Boa-Ski Cobra,,,,when I got to high school I rode my then 1971 polaris 292 charger back and forth,13 miles each way,by road,lol,no idea how many fields and backroads I travelled on.

Biggest single trip was in 1993,,,rode around lake Superior in 14 days and 2700 miles,,,, :mrgreen:

Most memmorable,,,Cooke City Montana,,,,, :right_on::right_on:

1968 Boa-Ski Cobra

1969 Boa-Ski Cobra

1971 Polaris 292

1972 Skidoo Olympic 340

1975 Yamaha 443 GPX

1980 Arctic Cat Panther 440

1981 Polaris Gemini 300

1985 Arctco Cougar 500 Fan

1988 Arctco El’Tigre 5000

1989 Arctco El’Tigre 6000

1990 Arctic Cat Prowler 440 prototype #308

1991 Arctic Cat Prowler

1992 Arctic Cat 550 Special

1993 Arctic Cat Prowler 440

1993 EXT 550

1994 EXT EFI 580

1995 Cougar 550

1996 EXT EFI 580

1993 Jag 440

1995 Z-440

1997 Jag 440 AWS-5

2000 370-Z still have

2000 370-Z second one

2001 Panther 550

2002 4-Stroke Touring

2003 4-Stroke Touring

2004 T-660 Trail

2005 T-660 Trail

2010 800-CFR special edition

You forgot the Kawy 340 invader and the Cougar was an 87

I remember going to friends grandparents' tobacco farm late 70's or early 80's on a Sunday. It was my first introduction to sleds and we spent the whole afternoon riding around the farm. A snowstorm came thru that day, closing the roads and we were forced to spend the night there and sled another day. School was cancelled the next day, always reason to celebrate as a kid. That night we watched Slapshot on TV for the first time. 30 years later still get excited about sledding, a snow day and the Charlestown Chiefs. Quizzed my 5 year old about favourite parts of this past weekend as Saturday we toured the neighbourhood visiting with him riding his 120, then Sunday did a 60 mile loop with him riding on mine. His highlights were when we did a jump on Sunday and rode fast accross the fields. Good memories already.

And it was a pleasure reading them.. Happy Trails

Well, most anyway :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

So, I’ve posted most of my sledding history before The most memorable one was a few of years ago Titled “The Man Who Introduced Me to Snowmobiling” and Sub-Titled, “Died Today”. I wish I could have that post back. It disappeared in one of our Forum Crashes and I’m sorry I just typed it from the heart and never worked with a draft. I’d love to read it again…….

Oh well…….

Quickly, and much less emotionally, my ‘soon to be’ father-in-law bought a 1968 Ski-Doo from the Nice’s who ran a Bomby dealership on Birchmount Road. We used to trailer it up Victoria Park Avenue to where the street Dead-ended at the Hydro cut around where Finch is today. Imagine sledding on a Hydro field at Victoria Park and Finch today? Even if there was snow !!!

Not long after that, the ‘soon to be’ in-laws moved to Nobleton and we all jumped on the snowmobile bandwagon with the Nobleton Snowmobile Club. The Indomitable MRS. STG (maiden, at that time) bought herself a brand new 1971 Olympique 300. Every Saturday morning we would meet up with the club and go for a run around King Township et environs and soon we were active members of the club. One Friday night we were on a run down to Kleinburg with me as pilot and the MRS as the double when I flipped her machine trying to climb the bank crossing the Humber. She “suggested” I get my own machine. J

Not too long after that, I found used machines at a Rental shop on Kennedy Road around Ellesmere. Olympique 300’s (one-lungers) 1972 (current year !) for $300.00 bucks a pop. I bought one for me and one got purchased for “The Mother-In-Law” as well.

It was pretty exciting how the Throat of that Tillotson sat so seductively in front of the rider’s nether regions. Or set them on fire. J Or consumed the front of a snowmobile suit and killed the engine.

Some of the Nobleton Club members were also cottagers on Kahshe Lake. The next thing you know, we’re starting to be winter cottagers. Not too long after the introduction of us to sledding in Muskoka, ‘The Indomitable” and I gave up down hill skiing and took up snowmobiling as a full time passion. 1972. No longer part time snowmobilers, the only winter sport after that would be sledding.

It would take us all day to get to Gravenhurst (if we made it). Bogie Wheels, Springs, Drive Belts, Spark Plugs. Heck, you couldn’t go too far without someone stopping for something ! Recoils ! Welch Plugs ! Heck, it was all an experience.

We joined the local snowmobile club, The Snowcrest Riders, who had a base at the Sunnycrest Resort on Kahshe Lake. Meetings were held there and Saturday Nights were a treat with a great dining room and games room and, on special occasions, live entertainment. Robbie was a driving force to get snowmobiling going in our area. “Back in the Day” I envied the guy in our township who successfully applied and received a LIP grant simply to mark a trail from the lake to town. LOL. Btw, I think it was 5 grand. In 1970 ? To flag a trail ?? I’m jealous I didn’t think of it. J

Unfortunately Sunnycrest Lodge burned and the club moved. We had a clubhouse (a former school portable type building) at the Summerland Store for a number of years from which we conducted Driver Training Classes and centered the club activities like Poker Runs and the like.

Not only have ‘The Indomitable” and I enjoyed sledding as much as we have, we have introduced each of our sons to all the aspects of this sport and winter weekends have been an important part of our family relationship. We had a few years when the sledding was mostly local and mostly about family. Keeping close to the cabin, off trail excursions and cookouts. But once the boys were all licensed it was back to the dealer for another round of sleds. And trail permits. And miles to go before we slept.......

We’re on the trails every weekend. Always with a lunch stop in mind. In addition, we enjoy a saddle bag trip with the family or an Epic Adventure with a group of like minded riders. I expect that we’ll be putting some more miles on this winter (weather permitting) during the week as well.

Yes, we’re sledders; and I can’t imagine a winter without it.

So, I’ve posted most of my sledding history before The most memorable one was a few of years ago Titled “The Man Who Introduced Me to Snowmobiling” and Sub-Titled, “Died Today”. I wish I could have that post back. It disappeared in one of our Forum Crashes and I’m sorry I just typed it from the heart and never worked with a draft. I’d love to read it again…….

Oh well…….

Quickly, and much less emotionally, my ‘soon to be’ father-in-law bought a 1968 Ski-Doo from the Nice’s who ran a Bomby dealership on Birchmount Road. We used to trailer it up Victoria Park Avenue to where the street Dead-ended at the Hydro cut around where Finch is today. Imagine sledding on a Hydro field at Victoria Park and Finch today? Even if there was snow !!!

Not long after that, the ‘soon to be’ in-laws moved to Nobleton and we all jumped on the snowmobile bandwagon with the Nobleton Snowmobile Club. The Indomitable MRS. STG (maiden, at that time) bought herself a brand new 1971 Olympique 300. Every Saturday morning we would meet up with the club and go for a run around King Township et environs and soon we were active members of the club. One Friday night we were on a run down to Kleinburg with me as pilot and the MRS as the double when I flipped her machine trying to climb the bank crossing the Humber. She “suggested” I get my own machine. J

Not too long after that, I found used machines at a Rental shop on Kennedy Road around Ellesmere. Olympique 300’s (one-lungers) 1972 (current year !) for $300.00 bucks a pop. I bought one for me and one got purchased for “The Mother-In-Law” as well.

It was pretty exciting how the Throat of that Tillotson sat so seductively in front of the rider’s nether regions. Or set them on fire. J Or consumed the front of a snowmobile suit and killed the engine.

Some of the Nobleton Club members were also cottagers on Kahshe Lake. The next thing you know, we’re starting to be winter cottagers. Not too long after the introduction of us to sledding in Muskoka, ‘The Indomitable” and I gave up down hill skiing and took up snowmobiling as a full time passion. 1972. No longer part time snowmobilers, the only winter sport after that would be sledding.

It would take us all day to get to Gravenhurst (if we made it). Bogie Wheels, Springs, Drive Belts, Spark Plugs. Heck, you couldn’t go too far without someone stopping for something ! Recoils ! Welch Plugs ! Heck, it was all an experience.

We joined the local snowmobile club, The Snowcrest Riders, who had a base at the Sunnycrest Resort on Kahshe Lake. Meetings were held there and Saturday Nights were a treat with a great dining room and games room and, on special occasions, live entertainment. Robbie was a driving force to get snowmobiling going in our area. “Back in the Day” I envied the guy in our township who successfully applied and received a LIP grant simply to mark a trail from the lake to town. LOL. Btw, I think it was 5 grand. In 1970 ? To flag a trail ?? I’m jealous I didn’t think of it. J

Unfortunately Sunnycrest Lodge burned and the club moved. We had a clubhouse (a former school portable type building) at the Summerland Store for a number of years from which we conducted Driver Training Classes and centered the club activities like Poker Runs and the like.

Not only have ‘The Indomitable” and I enjoyed sledding as much as we have, we have introduced each of our sons to all the aspects of this sport and winter weekends have been an important part of our family relationship. We had a few years when the sledding was mostly local and mostly about family. Keeping close to the cabin, off trail excursions and cookouts. But once the boys were all licensed it was back to the dealer for another round of sleds. And trail permits. And miles to go before we slept.......

We’re on the trails every weekend. Always with a lunch stop in mind. In addition, we enjoy a saddle bag trip with the family or an Epic Adventure with a group of like minded riders. I expect that we’ll be putting some more miles on this winter (weather permitting) during the week as well.

Yes, we’re sledders; and I can’t imagine a winter without it.

I remember that original post and it truly is unfortunate that it has been lost.

Archived