40 YEARS AGO TODAY

Doonut

I drove a sled by myself for the very first time.

Christmas 1970 dad brought home a brand new,non current 1969 Moto Ski Capri with a 300 one lunger, steel recoil cable, ball burner beast from hell powerplant. It was shiny and orange and blue ( and rather fugly) but to a 6 year old boy, it was the most amazing machine on the planet.

A few weekends passed and I sat behind dad as we tooled around the neighbourhood ( Etobicoke) and rode over to the Centennial Park Snowmobile Club club house ( right beside the ski hill which was just a hill then ). It was then that dad let me give her a try.

I can honestly say I was immediately hooked and have happily been on a sled every single winter since. Seen alot of changes to the machines and the sport. Seen alot of manufacturers come and go. Seen it go from an everyman's sport to one of the somewhat better off man's sport BUT, its been worth every single penny I have ever spent.

Even now, spending for three sleds, three riders,three insurance bills,three trail passes, three gas and parts bills etc.,its still worth it. This year, I get to go on real trail rides with both my wife, who I introduced to the sport in 1989 and my daughter who I introduced to the sport when she was 4 months old

I AM A SLEDDER!

Its in my blood and always will be. Lucky for me, my wife has become a sledder and so is my child Who could ask for any better of a deal than that?

Heres to another 40 years of sledding.

They can have my sled when they pry my cold dead hands off the bars.

Sean, AKA the Doonut.

So, do you ride snowmobiles or are you a real sledder?

How many years have you been a sledder?

Is it still worth it to you?

Will you ever give it up?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first sled I rode belonged to my Uncle. It was a white Ski Doo Elan. I think it was a '74 or '75 somewhere in there. We used to go up to Freelton after church on Sundays to bomb around a farmers field up there.

My first sled that I bought was a 1987 Polaris Sprint 340. I paid about $3800.00 for it. It was a decent entry level sled for the era and after that I upgraded to the Indy lite, two years later.

After about five or six years of riding I got out of sledding for a number of years. Mostly due to not having riding partners.

In 2006 I bought a 2002 Grand Touring 800 SE. And have been back in the sport heavy ever since. In 2009 I bought a 1200 GSX and in 2010 a 600 GSX H.O..Have both today, and feel very fortunate. I am sometimes discouraged at how much money is outlay-ed for a sport that seems to produce one banner year of sledding for every three years of just okay trail conditons. At least where I ride. If I recall the Winter of 2007 saw early trails open up and I remember my last ride of the year being into the second week of April! Last year my first ride was late December (at the Haliburton Forest as it usually is) and the season was done March 5th!

I do wonder about the short season versus the amount of money spent on this sport. Then you get out on the trail and all of the negative thoughts seem to vanish.

I will be sticking with it for awhile yet. I do agree with the sport going from everyman's sport to being a sport only the higher mid class and up can afford.

See you out there..

The first sled I had was A 1982 Yamaha Bravo that I found in the bad of my grandpas barn. I needed some fixing up after sitting in the barn for 9 years.

The second sled I had was a 1983 Polaris Indy 340 TXL. The sled was fast for a 340. It was a fun sled.

The sled I currently have is a 1999 Ski Doo Grand Touring 500 liquid. I think i am selling this sled in march and buying somthing new.

I have had every sled but artic cat. lol.

After being so involved with organized snowmobiling and winning club, district and provincial awards, I think I will stick with snowmobiling for many years to come.

I recommend getting involved with your snowmobile club and district. I have met hundreds of awesome people and have made some great friends that I will have for a long time.

Also, say thank you to all the volunteers you come accross when you are riding. Without them, snowmobiling in ontario would not exist!!!

See you on the trails!!!

:right_on::right_on::right_on:

I don't remember the date nor the time but I remember the look, the feel and my mothers face when I first rode on my dad's sled. Growing up in Caledon, Ontario (funny that I never left this place) you would hear snowmobiles everyonce in a while through the night. I remember looking out the window, when I was supposed to be asleep at "ski dooers" as my grandfather called them blazing across the fields (those that the farmers did not plough). I remember on snow days seeing the sleds traveling along the roads and even the odd tennager stopping for beg for gas at the house.. Originally we had one sled a 1977 Arctic Cat Cheetah 400 a black beauty with a cheetah "skin" seat. My mother would bundle me up so I could neither breathe nor move. we had open face helmets with those bubble shields. My father even rode with one of those Green vinyl masks that Candian Tire used to sell (when they were a good store). a couple of seasons later my father and I were at an auction (Snelgrove Flea market) where we saw a early '70's Sno Jet it was a 200 or 250 single I believe, my father looked at me and we bought it much to my mothers shugrim. that was my first sled. Later on my brother got that one, and we found a 1977 (i think) Ski Roule 440...The hard pack flyer we called it. It was great in the packed snow, but the 'cat would continually pull it from the deep powdery snow. through this time my grandfather bought an old Moto Ski 340 Nuvik, the single best tunneling snowmobile ever made. I mean really this sled would hit a drift and go right through, never over top. :) but it always started. Snowmobiling is where I learned about clutches, engines, and metric vs SAE while freezing in dad's garage

As the years went by, it got harder and harder to find time to sled. we sledded less and less (the was a pretty bad stretch of poor snowmobiling winters, in caledon). Eventually my dad sold the sleds (getting too old, the sleds that is). As I got into high school, money was a little tighter but we always bought the Bike, Boat and RV Trader to "see" what sleds were going for...I guess this is when we realised that sledding was no longer as Doonut put it "Everyman's Sport". Now I own a '99 Polaris 700, the sled that I remember looking at and saying to myself, "man this would be the last sled I ever bought...."... My Dad does not hvae a sled, but I know he would come out if I could get him one...Maybe this year

But the tradition lives on this year was the first time my son (4yrs) was on my sled, my wife bundled him up...and I looked at him and laughed. "You can't move can you?" I asked him, he could barely talk through the scarf, neck warmer, too big goggles and helmet. I fired the '99 dream sled up and a new sled head was baptised.....

who knows, maybe in 10 years my son will be forced to ride an "old Rev, Dragon, or F6) :rotflmao:

Man I love Sledding

I don't remember the date nor the time but I remember the look, the feel and my mothers face when I first rode on my dad's sled. Growing up in Caledon, Ontario (funny that I never left this place) you would hear snowmobiles everyonce in a while through the night.

Where are you from in Caledon???

Started sledding in 1967

Raced from 1969 until 1980

Hiatus from sledding for 10 years while raising kids

1990 until now,touring sledding

Jan 2008 wife quit do to back injury

I became involved in trail building

If we get more snow she will try riding again but we agreed that

if sledding hurt her back,we will sell both sleds.

Am I a sledder -Yes

Will I continue -Maybe

Will I continue trail building -Probably

First sled was my Dad's 1971 Olympique. He bought it new for $800. I remember that a dozen men would saddle up on the "Ski Doo's" ('cause regardless of the brand they were all called Ski Doo) would head out for an all day ride to the cottage while the women would load up the food and kids in the cars. Generally only a few would make it out and the rest would have to be rescued. That trip now is about a half hour and I would be really disappointed if I broke down. Not as adventurous but just as fun.

That old Olympique is now sitting in my father in law's barn. It hauled the kids around the farm a few years ago but is in need of some spit and polish.

OH YA, I remember the first sled my dad bought, it was a Elan, 16 twin of pure rock-in uncontrollable power. man that thing would fly. every ride was a ditch banger. no trails in Nova Scotia in those days.

Then the next sled for me on my dime was another Elan chassis, and was a 22 SS you folks know the one it had the sliders and no more boogie wheels.

more to add later.

You mean North Brampton..... :poke:

My first sled was a Christmas gift from my father, Dec. 1967. I got a shiny, brand new 1968 Ski-Doo Olympique, 10.3 HP of pure speed, at least 35mph! :whatever: I've rode every winter since and I have no idea how many sleds I've owned, but it's been a bunch, some good, some bad.

My, how things have changed.... 8-):cheers:

The first time I drove a sled would be around 1970. A friend of my Dad's had an Olympique and an Alpine. We rode them around the local golf course (banned now). 39 years later B-bry showed me the controls of his Polaris 2-up and told me to follow him at, to me,breakneck speed :whatever: across Little Whitfish lake and through the woods (I never liked glade skiing)to Memories of Muskoka. I had no idea about the OFSC trail system at the time. I bought my own sled last year. :woot:

My first sledding experience was when I was about 13 I believe. I was with my Father visiting friends. They had a snowmobile. The son of my Father's friend took me out on the back of some sled that had no suspension and barely seated two. I loved the thought of driving a motorized vehicle :)

Well, that never amounted to anything more than a dream... :(

Then in 2005 I went with some work colleagues for a day of snowmobiling. By the end of the day we were old pros and did not wreck a single sled :right_on:

Snowmobiling seemed like a fun thing to do in the winter months that I had grown to hate. The next fall I received a flyer for a local auction that had a couple of snowmobiles. I attended the auction but was not the high bidder.

I came to Ontario Conditions and started asking questions and was guided into a mouse hole quickly. After more thinking, I make some phone calls and ended up at Cycle World in Etobicoke to buy two new non-Current Polaris sleds. Two of my first mistakes, buying a Polaris and dealing with Cycle World. :oops:

Off we went into the world of snowmobiling with a 2005 Polaris Touring 600 and a 2004 Poo Classic 500. After a test run with the new sleds, as that year we had snow in South Western Ontario, we met with Viper (arranged here on OC) for our second ride.

I have had many rides with many people from Ontario Conditions and a few that we just met on the trails. Many new friends and great people for the most part in this sport.

I am not sure I am here as a "Sledder" as it was never ingrained in me as a child.... adult child maybe ;) I enjoy snowmobiling, but would give it up in a blink to save the snowmobiling friends I have made over the years. It is not getting any cheaper especially when you have championed the art of blowing things up. Up goes the price of admission again..... :roll:

When I see the enthusiasm of new sledders, like BlakeSnowCrest, I am encourage that this sport can be affordable. I really wish that the Manufacturers would see the damage they are doing to the industry by gouging Canadians with inflated pricing and low dealer margins. :wtf:

As a great man recently wrote, sledding is all about the meals :woot::woot:

2005/2006 - 2005 Polaris 600 Touring 25th Anniversary

2006 Mid Season - Retired the Poo and bought a 2006 SkiDoo 500SS Adrenaline

2007/2008 - 2008 Skidoo XP GSX 600SDI

2009/2010 - 2010 Skidoo XR GSX 1200 4TEC

Now I live in Caledon Village 10 and Charleston...I was raised near old school and Bramalea near Mayfield high School why you live in Caledon?

First sled I rode was my Dad's 66 Skidoo Olympique that he bought used. in '67. He bought it primarily for ice fishing but would sometimes take us out to a local field for a ride. The sled was a disaster though so before the end of the winter, he traded up to a '67 Super Olympique (14 HP!!!!!). Although not particularly interested in fishing, I would join him just so I could bomb around the lakes.

In the fall of '71, he bought a new 72 Evinrude Norseman (437 CC and a whopping 27 HP). I rode that sled for years whenever I was home (in the Sault) and after we bought the house in Pefferlaw in 1980, I brought the sled south. Used it for a few years here and then the CD Ign module croaked. Bought a 73 Skiroule to fill in but did not use it much. Eventually found a '72 Johnson and reverse engineered the module and had both running.

Dropped out of sledding for a while until Moosifer got us back into it. The Skiroule was a pain to start and keep running so he finally convinced me (via SWMBO) to get a newer sled. That is when we jumped to a '94 Yamaha VMAX. It seemed like it had this new thing (compared to a 72) called suspension! The next year , I bought another one and got rid of the old sleds.

I am definitely in it for the long haul and now both my son & daughter sled with me when their schedules allow.

Nope I mean Caledon East...now I'm in the Village

You mean North Brampton..... :poke:

Started sledding in 1967

Raced from 1969 until 1980

Hiatus from sledding for 10 years while raising kids

1990 until now,touring sledding

Jan 2008 wife quit do to back injury

I became involved in trail building

If we get more snow she will try riding again but we agreed that

if sledding hurt her back,we will sell both sleds.

Am I a sledder -Yes

Will I continue -Maybe

Will I continue trail building -Probably

I hope your wife can start riding again. As someone who has had minor back problems, can I suggest a couple of things? First, if the sled does not have dual carbides, try them. They almost totally eliminate the darting and the stress on the back and shoulders by fighting to keep your body straight.

Second, a few years ago, I started wearing a TekVest. It is amazing how much support it gives your back! The Tekvest offers protection from injuries if you have an Oops, but the comfort from the back support is one of the reasons that I won't ride without it.

I hope this helps and that you will still be riding for years to come.

The Skiroule was a pain to start and keep running so he finally convinced me (via SWMBO) to get a newer sled.

:coffeespit: man I remember our old ski roule....maybe it was a 72 as well. the pre-season ritual for us was off to Canadian Tire by the most inexpensive 2-stroke oil (usually pensoil brand) and half a case of quick start. I still remember my fathers instructions...

on really cold nights

"I'll pull..when the rope is recoiled all the way in you give it a shot of the Quick Start" that old sled need a better gear reduction on the recoil..."

i miss sledding with my dad....you know we should arrange some sort of even like that on OC (for those of us that are lucky enough to still have our fathers). and if not those that have sons..

The Ontario Conditions Father and Son ride to Benefit Prostate Cancer....what do you think Viper??

from the stories here it sounds like there are some real found memories out there...

My first sledding experience was when I was about 13 I believe. I was with my Father visiting friends. They had a snowmobile. The son of my Father's friend took me out on the back of some sled that had no suspension and barely seated two. I loved the thought of driving a motorized vehicle :)

Well, that never amounted to anything more than a dream... :(

Then in 2005 I went with some work colleagues for a day of snowmobiling. By the end of the day we were old pros and did not wreck a single sled :right_on:

Snowmobiling seemed like a fun thing to do in the winter months that I had grown to hate. The next fall I received a flyer for a local auction that had a couple of snowmobiles. I attended the auction but was not the high bidder.

I came to Ontario Conditions and started asking questions and was guided into a mouse hole quickly. After more thinking, I make some phone calls and ended up at Cycle World in Etobicoke to buy two new non-Current Polaris sleds. Two of my first mistakes, buying a Polaris and dealing with Cycle World. :oops:

Off we went into the world of snowmobiling with a 2005 Polaris Touring 600 and a 2004 Poo Classic 500. After a test run with the new sleds, as that year we had snow in South Western Ontario, we met with Viper (arranged here on OC) for our second ride.

I have had many rides with many people from Ontario Conditions and a few that we just met on the trails. Many new friends and great people for the most part in this sport.

I am not sure I am here as a "Sledder" as it was never ingrained in me as a child.... adult child maybe ;) I enjoy snowmobiling, but would give it up in a blink to save the snowmobiling friends I have made over the years. It is not getting any cheaper especially when you have championed the art of blowing things up. Up goes the price of admission again..... :roll:

When I see the enthusiasm of new sledders, like BlakeSnowCrest, I am encourage that this sport can be affordable. I really wish that the Manufacturers would see the damage they are doing to the industry by gouging Canadians with inflated pricing and low dealer margins. :wtf:

As a great man recently wrote, sledding is all about the meals :woot::woot:

2005/2006 - 2005 Polaris 600 Touring 25th Anniversary

2006 Mid Season - Retired the Poo and bought a 2006 SkiDoo 500SS Adrenaline

2007/2008 - 2008 Skidoo XP GSX 600SDI

2009/2010 - 2010 Skidoo XR GSX 1200 4TEC

there is the first problem, buying new. if you want to keep it affordable you need to get an older sled and service it.

now when i say service it, i don't mean wait till it breaks down then take to a shop. i mean start wiping it down both the skid and under the hood.

any little thing that might be a little worn you will see. preventive maintenance will save you in the long run, sometimes hundreds of dollars

Like some others in this thread, my first experience on a sled was as a young teenager, in late 1967. My dad showed up one weekend with a brand spankin' new 1968 Ski-Doo Super Olympique...16 hp, single-lunger, with bogie wheels in the skid, leaf springs on the skis, suspension travel measured in millimetres, and the need to carry extra plugs in your pocket. Nevertheless, it was light, really flickable, if you got stuck you could just lift it back up on the snow, and we loved it to death...so much so that, by 1971, we had 4 sleds in the family, 2 Olympique singles, and 2 Nordic twins...the latter would actually go 60 mph, my first real taste of speed, and I was hooked for life.

Got away from it for several years in the mid-70's while away at university, then again in the late 70's for a season, when both family sleds were stolen and wrecked by joy-riders early in the '78-79 season. But since then, I haven't missed a season since, and my wife and I have owned a succession of our own sleds since 1980.

So, Sean, I guess that makes me a true sledder...and my wife as well, who has enjoyed sledding with me since the 70's. The design and technology changes have been nothing short of stunning in those 43 years of riding...in automotive terms, comparable to going from the earliest Ford Model T to a 2010 Corvette...and about as expensive, in relative terms. :rotflmao: That first Super Olympique cost my father all of $790, all-in! :-o

In the mid-90's, we "discovered" the joys of long-distance, multi-day touring in central and northern Ontario, and have done at least one week-long saddle-bag trip every year since 1999, including a couple in Quebec. This year's trip is one from our bucket list...a 6-day loop of the Gaspe region -- can hardly wait!

We were fortunate enough to be able to retire and move north from The Big Smoke to our lakefront place in north Muskoka on a full-time basis 18 months ago...so we can now ride from the door (when conditions permit) whenever the urge strikes. Somebody pinch me... :P

And I should add that discovering OC 4 years ago has added a welcome further side to my enjoyment of this sport. Have met lots of great folks on here, and even ridden with some of them. OC has become my snowmobiling "home" on the 'Net, replacing DooTalk, which used to be my addiction before.

from the stories here it sounds like there are some real found memories out there...

Sure are. I fondly remember being hauled back into the raw and jagged rear of the engine by the steel cabled recoil when the sled mis fired on start up :)

I fondly remember the blood bruises on the palm of my hand from being the "Choke" :).............down Mouse.....down. Control yourself.

I fondly remember having my private areas on fire on several occasions. :)

I fondly remember all day trips that racked up an amazing 20 miles. :)

I fondly remember travelling everywhere with a box of spark plugs, a spare bogie wheel or two, a stack of belts hanging off the handle bars and a couple cans of quick start. :)

I fondly remember steel chassis and tunnel sleds that weighed more than my crew cab.

I fondly remember spending an hour to remove all 20 nuts and bolts that held the cowling on so you could change the head light bulb ( often ) :)

Yep, I fondly remember many aspects of the old days of sledding and I don't miss them one tiny little bit :)

Sure are. I fondly remember being hauled back into the raw and jagged rear of the engine by the steel cabled recoil when the sled mis fired on start up :)

I fondly remember the blood bruises on the palm of my hand from being the "Choke" :).............down Mouse.....down. Control yourself.

I fondly remember having my private areas on fire on several occasions. :)

I fondly remember all day trips that racked up an amazing 20 miles. :)

I fondly remember travelling everywhere with a box of spark plugs, a spare bogie wheel or two, a stack of belts hanging off the handle bars and a couple cans of quick start. :)

I fondly remember steel chassis and tunnel sleds that weighed more than my crew cab.

I fondly remember spending an hour to remove all 20 nuts and bolts that held the cowling on so you could change the head light bulb ( often ) :)

Yep, I fondly remember many aspects of the old days of sledding and I don't miss them one tiny little bit :)

Common Doo I'm sure you don't want to re-live all of them, but I bet you would not give them up for anything

there is the first problem, buying new. if you want to keep it affordable you need to get an older sled and service it.

now when i say service it, i don't mean wait till it breaks down then take to a shop. i mean start wiping it down both the skid and under the hood.

any little thing that might be a little worn you will see. preventive maintenance will save you in the long run, sometimes hundreds of dollars

They are used.....now :mrgreen:

Back in 1973, gas stations sold snowmobiles. Dad's friend bought a snowmobile in Balm Beach, and he purchased one a few weeks later. Both were Moto Ski Futura 440's. The rule of thumb back then was ride for 3 hours, fix it for 1 hour.

We rode the sled from morning to night, on Concession roads.

Didn't discover OFSC trails until late 70's, thanks to Charlie at Pine Lodge (Port Sydney, Ontario). Fun times at Pump n Barrel, great trips to North Bay, etc.

Didn't know you owned a 4 stroke Yamaha. :banghead:

Archived