40 YEARS AGO TODAY

Doonut

Do we still have that "special" initiation ceremony for 1,000 post people ?? Let me know and I'll gather up the necessary items of indoctrination ! :twisted:

But you said the same thing after my first post??? :whatever:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Mouse..I remember reading that original post too. It is a shame it was lost..at least in here..but not in your heart or those that are close. Memories are forever.

After having watched Rick Mercer last night at a vintage sled event in Kincardine......

My first snowmobile was purchased all busted up by neighbours with paper route money...there has even been a book written about it:

post-19713-0-26353500-1295433898_thumb.j

Fixing and riding the Snowbug established my own personal sledding 'millieux' which exists to this day !

"Known for its working ability rather than for speed, the Snowbug was valued by trappers, hunters, mining and government officials as well as doctors and social workers whose duties took them into all types of weather and snow conditions in the north. Its popularity spread from Canada to northern Michigan and the New England States where heavy snowfalls also prevail.

Snowbug's life was short but noteworthy in the 1950s, 1960's and 1970's, when, in the pioneering days of snowmobiling, its inventor Howard Schraeder and his group of friends in and around Sudbury, Ontario devoted much of their free time to its manufacture."

Mine looked like the one on this right in this picture - although in a lot worse shape:

post-19713-0-25177800-1295434193_thumb.j

There are a couple of good youtube videos. Try these urls:

or search for:

snowbug in action (driver point of view)

the snowbug lives!(side on point of view)

My thanks to all those on the internet who provided the above resources.

You forgot the Kawy 340 invader and the Cougar was an 87

oh yeah,dam sometimers, :rotflmao::rotflmao: the quick-a-saki was nice nice sled,loved tha motor,but the suspension was dated for the time I owned it in,,,, :right_on:

the Cougar was nice,,,, till "scot on the rocks" rode it,,,,may he RIP.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been going through some old pic.s from my folks house and thought of this thread when I found this old relic.

I was a sled, bike or anything with a motor nut from the word go, this was the first one that was "mine'....,what a heap, lol, carried a pocket full of shear pins for the chaincase, a hockey stick to flip the boogies back over, it spit gas on my nuts, gave you a lift when you knee touched the coils and the seat...well you can see,but I loved it. When my uncle blew up his 440 I put this motor in his chassis and was rockin on sliders and everything ,:rotflmao:

its a 70 or 71 and according to the back of the pic it was taken "winter 75-76", one happy looking 9 or 10 year old :mrgreen:

scan00012.jpg

Ive been going through some old pic.s from my folks house and thought of this thread when I found this old relic.

I was a sled, bike or anything with a motor nut from the word go, this was the first one that was "mine'....,what a heap, lol, carried a pocket full of shear pins for the chaincase, a hockey stick to flip the boogies back over, it spit gas on my nuts, gave you a lift when you knee touched the coils and the seat...well you can see,but I loved it. When my uncle blew up his 440 I put this motor in his chassis and was rockin on sliders and everything ,:rotflmao:

its a 70 or 71 and according to the back of the pic it was taken "winter 75-76", one happy looking 9 or 10 year old :mrgreen:

scan00012.jpg

Not to sound old here, But I can remenber when your Dad drove the old Show Hawk up to the farm to get the car to go to work, Some winters your road was closed for a couple weeks, I drove a D 8 down that road in 77 to open it, And I am not that much older than you, I think?

Is that Dougs old Coleman?

Rich

I've been riding for as long as I can remember...My first ride (on my own) was in 1978 at the tender age of 3. Mom even took a picture :).

23s7xz.jpg

You'll notice that the Kitty Kat is painted to match my Dad's Blizzard 9500...we owned a Ski-doo dealership at the time so it would have been uncool to have an AC in the family. I eventually graduated to a Citation 4500 and actually took up riding on our farm and lake...mostly to access the hills to go GT sno-racing (seriously...we rode to the hill and would toboggan ALL day...then ride home). I was fortunate to grow up with lots of space around and by best friend across the lake (he rode an Enticer 340). We have riden together for almost 30 years...I actually just got off the trails with his brother (ramsomair). 30 YEARS!!!!!! I always follow...weird.

Sometime in high school I smartened up and bought a Yamaha...which TOTALLY P.O'd the old man, who was very much a skidoo man. But I was getting sick of being towed by that old enticer. It was actually a ride (and I mean as a passenger) on ramsomair's 91 SRV on a trashed out seguin that sold me on the virtues of the tuning fork crew. I haven't looked back since...well except to see where the Revs are at :coffeespit: .

It is amazing to see the advancement that the sleds have made...we met a guy today riding an '82 Enticer 340 (alone...in between Orillia and Coldwater....I know for a FACT you wouldn't risk that on a Blizzard lol). That sled is the size of the seat on my Apex (same weight too). I bet if you asked you would find that we were both having an AWESOME day...funny how the equipment is secondary to the experience.

Am I a sledder?? Yup...

Will I continue?? Silly question...

I fondly remember the blood bruises on the palm of my hand from being the "Choke" :).............down Mouse.....down. Control yourself.

I fondly remember having my private areas on fire on several occasions. :)

I fondly remember all day trips that racked up an amazing 20 miles. :)

I fondly remember travelling everywhere with a box of spark plugs, a spare bogie wheel or two, a stack of belts hanging off the handle bars and a couple cans of quick start. :)

I fondly remember steel chassis and tunnel sleds that weighed more than my crew cab.

I fondly remember spending an hour to remove all 20 nuts and bolts that held the cowling on so you could change the head light bulb ( often ) :)

Yep, I fondly remember many aspects of the old days of sledding and I don't miss them one tiny little bit :)

Those that long for the good ol' days probably weren't there.

40 years ago this winter, my Dad bought Mother a '71 Elan. We had found out that them, me & bro on a Rider sleigh were too much for his '70 Oly 335. She rode the Elan 1 weekend & made Dad take it back. She hated the steering (or lack of). He bought her a '71 Oly 300 single. She rode it w/ no issues until she replaced it w/ a '79 Citation. Bro & I got the "Piglet". Since bro & I had a hard time starting the 2nd 335 (a '73 or '75) we called it The Pig. As a result the 300 became the Piglet.

Last winter was the 1st time since we started riding in '69 that our father didn't snowmobile due to his illness. Sadly he passed away last April, so we'll be missing him our our rides this season.

Not to sound old here, But I can remenber when your Dad drove the old Show Hawk up to the farm to get the car to go to work, Some winters your road was closed for a couple weeks, I drove a D 8 down that road in 77 to open it, And I am not that much older than you, I think?

Is that Dougs old Coleman?

Rich

Hey Rich, ya lots of times the cars got left up by you place since you knew our road would be plugged, we sure missed alot of school in those days. I cant believe he made it that far on the Snow hawk :rotflmao:

I remember the D8 deal snow up to the telephone wires, no one going anywhere.

It wasnt uncle Dougs,He had the 440. We had them at the same time and when he toasted his motor, I got the 440 body and dropped my motor in it. Guess thats started my attraction to green sleds :mrgreen: .

Cheers, Todd

Those that long for the good ol' days probably weren't there.

40 years ago this winter, my Dad bought Mother a '71 Elan. We had found out that them, me & bro on a Rider sleigh were too much for his '70 Oly 335. She rode the Elan 1 weekend & made Dad take it back. She hated the steering (or lack of). He bought her a '71 Oly 300 single. She rode it w/ no issues until she replaced it w/ a '79 Citation. Bro & I got the "Piglet". Since bro & I had a hard time starting the 2nd 335 (a '73 or '75) we called it The Pig. As a result the 300 became the Piglet.

Last winter was the 1st time since we started riding in '69 that our father didn't snowmobile due to his illness. Sadly he passed away last April, so we'll be missing him our our rides this season.

Sorry to hear about your dad. But it is through memories like this that he will live on.

Archived