WHEN IS THE SNOW GONNA BE HERE

ToSlow

I can't wait much longer. :right_on:

I was wondering the same thing!

I'll be going to find the snow in 2 weeks!

Cheer up! Could be a lot worse it could still be warm with no lakes frozen.

I'm posting three images below. One is for today, one for saturday and one for next tuesday. Looks like a non stop parade of snow and that's not even counting the lake effect!!!

How many inches are they promising this time ?

How many inches are they promising this time ?

Well, that scale on the side is for inches of water. Snow ratios are always different depending on many factors, so I am not sure how many inches would fall out of that... .1 inch of water could bring more than an inch of snow depending on the ratio. The average is 10:1 so .1 = 1 inch...However, dry snow can be as high as 30:1.. So the colder the temperature with a storm, the better.

Hey, remember 2006? We didn't have a drop of snow anywhere until the last week of january. then it opened up and we had great snow until march break!

I was on open trails two weeks ago today.. I expect to be sledding again this weekend.

I was going to drive 4 hours to owen sound today but some guys i work with just got back and said it's not worth the drive...

Well, that scale on the side is for inches of water. Snow ratios are always different depending on many factors, so I am not sure how many inches would fall out of that... .1 inch of water could bring more than an inch of snow depending on the ratio. The average is 10:1 so .1 = 1 inch...However, dry snow can be as high as 30:1.. So the colder the temperature with a storm, the better.

Hey, remember 2006? We didn't have a drop of snow anywhere until the last week of january. then it opened up and we had great snow until march break!

I was on open trails two weeks ago today.. I expect to be sledding again this weekend.

I was going to drive 4 hours to owen sound today but some guys i work with just got back and said it's not worth the drive...

Yeh I understand just keep getting disapointed like Dalton's wife I guess

Something else to consider, here is an image of the 700mb level winds... They are going to be -12C... The lake temperature is about 3C. you need a 13 degree gradient to get lake effect snow...You also have to calculate wind shear which is hard to do, so I am not great at forecasting lake effect snow..Wind shear is the angle that it crosses the lake. Anyway, let's see if I'm right. 24 hours from now I think we will have squall bands from the NNW in SW ontario.

PS If you look at the barbs, they are pointing the way that the wind will be blowing. Each full barb represents 10knots..Those lines have two barbs, so 20 knot winds...

post-19757-0-58041900-1294783008_thumb.gif

Something else to consider, here is an image of the 700mb level winds... They are going to be -12C... The lake temperature is about 3C. you need a 13 degree gradient to get lake effect snow...You also have to calculate wind shear which is hard to do, so I am not great at forecasting lake effect snow..Wind shear is the angle that it crosses the lake. Anyway, let's see if I'm right. 24 hours from now I think we will have squall bands from the NNW in SW ontario.

PS If you look at the barbs, they are pointing the way that the wind will be blowing. Each full barb represents 10knots..Those lines have two barbs, so 20 knot winds...

so lets see, if i read between the lines i still don't have a friggen clue to what you just said. :confused:

I'm saying that I think 24 hours from now there will be lake effect snow bands setting up in sw ontario

Of course it will. But not because of all that meteorlogical hocus pocus! It's because STG is doing his snow dance!!!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

A female television anchor in Michigan, in reference to the previous evening's snowfall, says to the weather man, "So, Steve, where's that 8 inches you promised me last night?" :rotflmao::rotflmao:

STD's dance must be working.

The Weather Nitwits have around 5-10 cm's predicted for the Haliburton area on Saturday/ Sunday and another load of 10+ cm's for next Tuesday.

The later part of the month looks like some consistent snow developing.

Trails in the Haliburton area should be decent with that.

It has been pretty cold overnight and the swamps should be drained back down now and re frozen.

we got our biggest snowfall to date last night,,,,,, :right_on::right_on:

Well the Weather Network screwed up again, calling for less than 5cm here and as of 10am we 12cm on the ground (reported from CFB Trenton) and its still coming down :rotflmao: And the radar map shows heavy snow in Prince Edward County :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

About time those TWN dudes are wrong in a good way. Lets hope they are wrong like this again with the weekends forecast of 10-15cm and turns out to a lot more..

So I'm off to ditch bang and try out my GoPro camera, video at 6 :right_on:

Well the Weather Network screwed up again, calling for less than 5cm here and as of 10am we 12cm on the ground (reported from CFB Trenton) and its still coming down :rotflmao: And the radar map shows heavy snow in Prince Edward County :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

About time those TWN dudes are wrong in a good way. Lets hope they are wrong like this again with the weekends forecast of 10-15cm and turns out to a lot more

I hope they forecast 5cm here then too!

Where to ?

Probably North, Cochrane, Kap.....................wherever is going to be open!

I'll be checking the website to see what the best place is to go!

Probably North, Cochrane, Kap.....................wherever is going to be open!

I'll be checking the website to see what the best place is to go!

District 5?

Weather freaks. Does everyone have the sat images bookmarked? On a clear day the images are amazing. You can see that Parry Sound Bay as of 2 days ago was wide open, and the ice field on Georgian Bay is growing. Check it out:

<http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=h&page=1.>

New machine with zero k on it. I'm dying here in the city waiting for snow.

Weather freaks. Does everyone have the sat images bookmarked? On a clear day the images are amazing. You can see that Parry Sound Bay as of 2 days ago was wide open, and the ice field on Georgian Bay is growing. Check it out:

<http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=h&page=1.>

New machine with zero k on it. I'm dying here in the city waiting for snow.

Hey G-Bay Guy!

What happened to your 500SS? Did you blow it up by chance????

Hey G-Bay Guy!

What happened to your 500SS? Did you blow it up by chance????

Funny you should ask. After buying it I find out it is very prone to overheating, so I put in an intercooler kit + temp / fuel gauges so i know whats happening vs. a idiotic red light and crappy float gauge. I then stud it. Investment approx 12K. Next year new sliders, new runners, new battery, full tune up and a new Triton TC11 fully enclosed trailer (fully decked out with guides etc). Outlay now approaching 21K. (Thing still overheated by the way)

Then some prick between Xmas and New Year 09 steals the whole package, trailer and machine(s). Breaks the locks somehow and takes everything..... including my buddies new Venture Lite, nicely tucked up with mine. Insurance offers ......... $6500, for the machine. Period. Seems there was no documentation on the trailer....apparently my fault though I'm sure I mentioned it. And the $6500, that's what they are listed in the black book for a 2 year old machine. And the extras...... worth nothing. BIG lesson learned. We have $130,000 in cars, $60,000 in boats, insured by the same company and 25 years no claims. Nothing.

So I ONLY buy used, with the depreciation hit in place. I will not buy for more than the wholesale cost so that if there is a loss it will be covered. You plain cannot buy replacement insurance on a recreational product...... so why buy new?

Rant finished.

Bought a perfect 2009 RS Venture GT for 9K Canadian with warranty. Nice complete package.

Answer the question?

It seems I was right. We were out today near bayfield and a nice squall had set up!

Archived