Shining Tree Camp, anyone stayed there?

Abitibi

We ate there last year, but continued north to Timmins. In hindsight, wish we slept there.

Looked clean, food was great, atmosphere was fun.

Lots of people on this forum have stayed there - hopefully they'll chime in re : cabins and accomadation.

We are doing the Gold Rush tour for the first time and thinking about staying at the Shining Tree Camp......has anybody stayed there before? Feedback?

Cheers

Welcome to the forum browning3812. Are you talking about 3 bears camp? If you are, I have stayed there and did enjoy it. It's a hunting camp with cabins and a main building with food, bar and a pool table. It's not the Hilton but I like it.

The food is good there (eaten there many times) and the owners take care of the place. They have gas on site (sometimes run out on busy weekends) Where are you coming in from? I called ahead once and they were out of fuel, so I planned a different route since there is no other avilable gas in the area.

You might also consider Gowganda Lake Camp - not far from Shining Tree. Gas, store on site, great cabins, great hosts, forum sponsor, and trail groomer operator. According to STG, will arrange meals.

You might also consider Gowganda Lake Camp - not far from Shining Tree. Gas, store on site, great cabins, great hosts, forum sponsor, and trail groomer operator. According to STG, will arrange meals.

Yes they will. Meals are included. Breakfast is served in the store. Supper is served in your cabin. And it is worthwhile repeating what Slomo has already posted: Gas on site, store on site (LCBO agency), great hosts, active in the local club, groomer operator and sponsor on this forum.

thanks for all the replies...and the welcome!

The place we were looking at was http://www.duenorth.net/shiningtreecamp/

Derek, the owner/operator I am guessing, got back to us right away and was really friendly. He is runs a groomer for the club as well so said he could give us the heads up on trail conditions too.

$35/night and seems decent.

This is our plan for our first ever GOLD RUSH TOUR:

Day 1: NL to Cochrane (229 Miles)

Day 2: Cochrane to Shining Tree (167 Miles)

Day 3: Shining Tree to NL (217 Miles)

Seem reasonable to the experts who know those trails?

Oops ! I think most of the Shining Tree responses here were in reference to 3 Bears Camp in Shining Tree. :confused:

Did anyone post here with Shining Tree Camp in mind? Please repost and confirm for Browning3812.

Just looked at the website you posted - do they serve food, or is there restaurant close by?

Your loop looks good. What are the proposed dates for your trip? Great trails in that area !!

Our plan right now is for Feb 3-6.....figure its a safe time to go for decent trail conditions

We weren't sure if we were biting off more then we can chew for 200+ miles days but I think it seems reasonable for northern miles

The guy at that camp said that it is close to restaurant/pub as well but I don't think onsite

Looking out the window today I'd say Feb 3 to 6 should be ok :-D

Keep an eye on the TATA website http://www.tata-bestsnowmobiling.com/ They have always been very good at posting up to date info. And for the general Kirkland Lake area keep an eye on http://northon11.com/ - there's some great info there including the "kenogami almanac" which is a diary/blog that Mac updates with weather, snow, trails, etc.

Planning and anticipation is half the fun !

Planning and anticipation is half the fun !

you got that right!!!

We have always just done weekend trips around North Bay/Parry Sound/Collingwood etc so this will be our first real run

Probably going to be 6 of us in total but none will be slowing us down so we can knock off the miles quick I think

Great itinerary. Your first day will be long, so leave early.

The place we were looking at was http://www.duenorth....hiningtreecamp/

Derek, the owner/operator I am guessing, got back to us right away and was really friendly. He is runs a groomer for the club as well so said he could give us the heads up on trail conditions too.

Sounds like a great itinerary. We did NL to Cochrane last year and it was a good ride. The trails up there are, for the most part, fast and wide. You shouldn't have much of a problem making the distance / time.

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a great itinerary. We did NL to Cochrane last year and it was a good ride. The trails up there are, for the most part, fast and wide. You shouldn't have much of a problem making the distance / time.

How long did that run, NL to Cochrane take you..ballpark?

I think we might do 3 bears instead actually. restaurant/bar onsite is a little too tempting

How long did that run, NL to Cochrane take you..ballpark?

I think we might do 3 bears instead actually. restaurant/bar onsite is a little too tempting

About 8.5 hours including lunch, fuel, photo stops.

Your day 2 is a pretty quick ride for 167 miles if you take C to Timmins and then down L-143.

Your day 2 is a pretty quick ride for 167 miles if you take C to Timmins and then down L-143.

I agree with 14 snow. You could make day 2 a little longer by riding over to the Moonbeam clubhouse(it's a great spot) then doubling back to Smooth Rock Falls and then to Timmins and beyond.

If anyone is planning on staying over in New Liskeard anytime that weekend, beware there is a hockey tournament on and many of the rooms are booked.

The place we were looking at was http://www.duenorth.net/shiningtreecamp/

Sounds like a good loop we have done each leg at one point or another. 3 Bears is the place to stay in Shining Tree. Brandon runs the groomer, Kelly run the restaurant and posts in "Ontario North". They have a great steak dinner, just call ahead and tell what size you want.

There are many places to stay in Cochrane, Lillabelle Lodge is a favorite of posters here.

New Liskeard offers fewer choices to stay but the ride into town is great, you can really rip through the fields just before you get into town. Watch for the signs on the bank of the river, the Quality Inn is not in New Liskeard, it's in Diamond.

Good Luck on the trip and have a safe ride.

The place we were looking at was http://www.duenorth....hiningtreecamp/

3 Bears is the place to stay in Shining Tree. Brandon runs the groomer, Kelly run the restaurant and posts in "Ontario North". They have a great steak dinner, just call ahead and tell what size you want.

P2210255.jpg

The Holiday Inn has opened in Dymond as well. That make 4 motels a stone's throw from each other. There's also the Auberge Country Inn

If I'm not mistaken the 1st weekend in Feb' is an annual hockey tourney in NL. Can make it difficult getting a room.

Check the 2nd link in my signature for more info.

Auld Reekie is also close and would get my vote.Nice accommodations and Urs is a great chef.

We've stayed @ Auld Reekie in Gowganda twice & wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

thanks for the heads up on the Tourney in NL!

We booked North Adventure Inn in Cochrane and 3 bears in Shinning tree

North Adventure is always good. Get to the Rib place (JR'S) for supper if you can.

BTW - The tourney in NL isn't all bad. The place is full of hockey moms....

Archived