600 or 1200

SlowTouringGuy

Remember, this is a Slow Touring Type Fellow asking the question. I appreciate the input of the DitchBangers but, please consider, ditches are one of the few things I don't bang. Well, except after being tossed from the public establishment. icon_redface.gif

So.......for my next 'Touring Sled' - The Grand Touring SE or Grand Touring LE - what are the advantages of going with the E-TEC 600 and the advantages of going with the 4-TEC 1200 ?

Technical, performance, price, reliability, economy, etc etc.

Has anybody owned/ridden both ?

Let's have your input = Spring Order Deadline is approaching........

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember, this is a Slow Touring Type Fellow asking the question. I appreciate the input of the DitchBangers but, please consider, ditches are one of the few things I don't bang. Well, except after being tossed from the public establishment. icon_redface.gif

So.......for my next 'Touring Sled' - The Grand Touring SE or Grand Touring LE - what are the advantages of going with the E-TEC 600 and the advantages of going with the 4-TEC 1200 ?

Well I have ridden neither but I personally would go 1200. Getting lots of good reviews for longevity and now has passed the "BRP one year mad challenge"..........................DOm didnt blow his up! :rolleyes:

Well I have ridden neither but I personally would go 1200. Getting lots of good reviews for longevity and now has passed the "BRP one year mad challenge"..........................DOm didnt blow his up! rolleyes.gif

Thanks, but I'm actually hoping that a snomobiler will offer an opinion. icon_razz.gif

Well I have ridden neither but I personally would go 1200. Getting lots of good reviews for longevity and now has passed the "BRP one year mad challenge"..........................DOm didnt blow his up! rolleyes.gif

Thanks, but I'm actually hoping that a snomobiler will offer an opinion. icon_razz.gif

Should I have used more emoticons?

I enjoy the 1200 mid-power range. I have found the extra weight is not noticeable. The sled is stable and quieter and easier to follow than a Polaris burning whatever oil that was :whatever:

The longevity of the 4 stroke was a big motivator for me.

Yes there have been reported reliability issues with the E-tec.

What types of things have been reported ?

Spent quite a bit of seat time on a 1200 this year,I was totally impressed with the whole XR platfrom.

The 1200 is a under rated mill,BRP rated it as comparable to a 600,let me tell u its no 600,I would class it between a700/800.Sled feels light and has great trail manners...I know what I will be buying next.As for the etech I am not going to make any comments, UTS is correct the problem's are starting to appear hell some of the mid season 800 went back to brp.If your thinking of ordering IMO the 1200 is the way to go.

my wife and I both have the 1200's and they are the best sleds we have ever owned. They both have 11000 miles on them with nothing but sliders, carbides and a couple idler bearings to change. There were a few warranty items that were done but nothing major. Very very good sled and it is quite fast too. Mine always keeps up to our friends attack. And a 500 lbs sled is not heavy as far as I'm concerned, I've never owned a sled that weighed much less than 490 lbs.

Yes there have been reported reliability issues with the E-tec.

What types of things have been reported ?

Spent quite a bit of seat time on a 1200 this year,I was totally impressed with the whole XR platfrom.

The 1200 is a under rated mill,BRP rated it as comparable to a 600,let me tell u its no 600,I would class it between a700/800.Sled feels light and has great trail manners...I know what I will be buying next.As for the etech I am not going to make any comments, UTS is correct the problem's are starting to appear hell some of the mid season 800 went back to brp.If your thinking of ordering IMO the 1200 is the way to go.

Yah Im kind of contemplating US deals right now and it wont be an etech.

I found an 09 1200x but it has high miles

I found an 08 XP 600sdi but im not sure I want a two stroke DOO.

I have a 1200 (09) GSX and love it. A minor warranty item was dealt with this year. It is smooth, pulls hard, is quiet, and very comfortable! My wife has a 600 H.O. (10) and also loves the machine. Both are very close in fuel economy, but the 1200 wins for me not having to add oil all the time. In reality both are excellent sleds, IMO, having ridden both over the last Winter.

When I was considering crossing over to the Dark Side in 2006, I joined the dootalk snowmobile forum. Lots of info.

They had 'ring' issues in 2006, and I stayed with Yamaha.

If I were to buy a new 2-up, would give serious thought to the Arctic Cat. Rode WB's last year and loved it. Our Yamaha 2-up is the old RX1 style, and I found the current Arctic Cat's ride awesome.

I believe sled magazines also did reviews of touring sleds.

Spend some time on Dootalk and your choice between the 2 sleds will be easier.

Let's not forget that the $3,000.00 (+ governmental sodomization) difference in acquisition cost is not making it any easier. icon_razz.gif

I have ridden both and have a lot of miles on them, having worked on both the issue we have seen the most with the E-tech has been a Mag side piston burn down, some have done it and some haven't, the issues with the E-Tech are about the same as the 600SDI, we have also worked on a lot of 1200's, but that was only to add our go fast parts. I have been a 2 stroke guy all my life and never thought I would own a 4 stroke but after riding one the entire season (9k) and with all of our go fast parts on the sled, RB3 controller, header, clutching and gearing (130hp stock to 152hp with them without touching the engine) it was the most fun sled I have ever owned, if you are a trail rider the difference in weight between the XP and XR is not noticable at all and if you back pack not carrying oil is a bonus and the fuel mileage is awesome. I did a leak down on my 1200 at 500 miles and did one again at the end of the season and it was the same both times, I have never seen a 2 stroke be able to do that. I would say that the 1200 is good for 20,000 miles without any engine needs and then maybe only valve adjust etc. if anything. I can honestly say this is the best sled I have ever owned, of course I have only had Ski Doo! - Bill

Let's not forget that the $3,000.00 (+ governmental sodomization) difference in acquisition cost is not making it any easier. icon_razz.gif

Never mind about a new sled...it's time to expand your snowmobile horizons...go to YUKON!

(where men are men and women are women....a darn good arrangement)

As EA10 didn't happen this year, you could probably squeeze a few more miles out of your current machine. Take the money you've saved and plan a trip here:

http://trekoverthetop.com/

Being the world traveller you are, you've probably got a gazillion air miles points. As of a couple of years ago,there are two places in Whitehorse YK, that will rent machines with a trailer. Drive up to Dawson then over to Tok. Or you can check such arrangements on the American side in Tok. Your contact with the RCMP in Yellowknife, NT, could do all the arranging, with help from the members in Yukon as well as counterparts in Alaska and possibly be a riding partner for the 4 day trip. You might consider a brief stopover in Yellowknife for a visit on your way...temperatures in March will be a balmy -20 or warmer, then it is not uncommon for the airline contracted to various companies to arrange a 'courtesy' flight to Whitehorse, where things should be even warmer....Yukon being subject to warm air masses from the Pacific ocean.

To get some idea of the Alaskan landscape, have a look at season 3, Ice Road Truckers, History Channel, Wednesday, 9 pm, or catch a replay of Ice Pilots NWT on the same channel.

As you like beer drinking and women in chorus lines dancing while lifting their skirts, you'll fit right in with the locals and will soon be complaining of the thin base of the trails being only 33 inches thick in March, while back in Ontario sledders will be discussing how to fog their machines.

http://www.ksa.yk.ca/conditions.html

Other than knowing that Gimli, Manitoba, is Canada's largest community of Icelandic settlers, I don't know much about sledding in Iceland other than that their economy is in the sh*tter and some good values might be here as well. Imagine touring on trails that wend their way through volcanic hot springs, the friendly Icelandic folk waving at you as they wash their long blonde hair in natural steamy outdoor hot tubs............................................

i spring orderd a 2011 tnt 1200 on saterday, i think that the 1200 is the way to go.

Though I could never in good conscience recommend buying any SD related I am a 4-stroke fan. Buy the 4-stroker and you'll never look back (as long as you don't have to carry it any distance...which you have to consider given the BRPness of it).

Have you considered the 600 a.c.e.?

I have a friend with a 1200 Skidoo 4 stroke and another with two of the older 04 Skidoo Legend 1000 4 strokes. I have a Cat Z1 4 stroke and we are all extremely happy with the 4 strokes and would never go back to a two stroke. Quiet, smooth, plenty of power for a slow touring guy and then some. Reliable and no oil or smell. Never really noticed the smell from the two strokes much when I rode one. Now that I don't you really do notice it when you are behind one. All the manufacturers make good sleds. I would suggest you look at the Cat Z1. The most comfortable sled I have ever sat on yet. My friends and I are regularly swapping sleds for a bit on rides to compare notes and everyone so far agrees that my Z1 is by far the most comfortable particularly over the bumps.

Archived