600 or 1200

SlowTouringGuy

One can always count on Slomo for an informative posting. A trip to Whitehorse & Dawson (to visit Clan) is in the works but, now, we may have to reconsider the time of year for the trip. That sounds like an Epic Adventure. And (Shirley) it makes sense to play poker when Dawson is part of the itinerary - and Diamond Gertie's.

Although................he paints an appealing picture of Iceland's trails too...... icon_e_wink.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One can always count on Slomo for an informative posting. A trip to Whitehorse & Dawson (to visit Clan) is in the works but, now, we may have to reconsider the time of year for the trip. That sounds like an Epic Adventure. And (Shirley) it makes sense to play poker when Dawson is part of the itinerary - and Diamond Gertie's.

Although................he paints an appealing picture of Iceland's trails too...... icon_e_wink.gif

I've also got "clan" in Dawson! Small world.

Dad ? icon_eek.gif

:unsure:

Dad ? icon_eek.gif

Son???

:unsure:

Dad ? icon_eek.gif

Son???

Oh, Please NO! No sheep on Yamaha's !!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I have ridden both and have a lot of miles on them, having worked on both the issue we have seen the most with the E-tech has been a Mag side piston burn down, some have done it and some haven't, the issues with the E-Tech are about the same as the 600SDI, we have also worked on a lot of 1200's, but that was only to add our go fast parts. I have been a 2 stroke guy all my life and never thought I would own a 4 stroke but after riding one the entire season (9k) and with all of our go fast parts on the sled, RB3 controller, header, clutching and gearing (130hp stock to 152hp with them without touching the engine) it was the most fun sled I have ever owned, if you are a trail rider the difference in weight between the XP and XR is not noticable at all and if you back pack not carrying oil is a bonus and the fuel mileage is awesome. I did a leak down on my 1200 at 500 miles and did one again at the end of the season and it was the same both times, I have never seen a 2 stroke be able to do that. I would say that the 1200 is good for 20,000 miles without any engine needs and then maybe only valve adjust etc. if anything. I can honestly say this is the best sled I have ever owned, of course I have only had Ski Doo! - Bill

Thanks very much for the report.

I would suggest you look my friend's. He's got the most comfortable one I have ever sat on yet. My friends and I are regularly swapping and everyone so far agrees that mine is by far the most comfortable.

I've heard a lot of guys comment on how comforatble your's is to ride.

I would suggest you look my friend's. He's got the most comfortable one I have ever sat on yet. My friends and I are regularly swapping and everyone so far agrees that mine is by far the most comfortable.

I've heard a lot of guys comment on how comforatble your's is to ride.

Is this a 4- stroke? :blink:

His does have a smaller displacement... or so I've heard. :unsure:

I usually tell Mrs UTS that smaller displacements last longer :oops:

Depends if it's a short or long stroke....... :confused:

His does have a smaller displacement... or so I've heard. :unsure:

I usually tell Mrs UTS that smaller displacements last longer :oops:

Depends if it's a short or long stroke....... :confused:

:-(:-(:-(:-(

I have ridden both and have a lot of miles on them, having worked on both the issue we have seen the most with the E-tech has been a Mag side piston burn down, some have done it and some haven't, the issues with the E-Tech are about the same as the 600SDI, we have also worked on a lot of 1200's, but that was only to add our go fast parts. I have been a 2 stroke guy all my life and never thought I would own a 4 stroke but after riding one the entire season (9k) and with all of our go fast parts on the sled, RB3 controller, header, clutching and gearing (130hp stock to 152hp with them without touching the engine) it was the most fun sled I have ever owned, if you are a trail rider the difference in weight between the XP and XR is not noticable at all and if you back pack not carrying oil is a bonus and the fuel mileage is awesome. I did a leak down on my 1200 at 500 miles and did one again at the end of the season and it was the same both times, I have never seen a 2 stroke be able to do that. I would say that the 1200 is good for 20,000 miles without any engine needs and then maybe only valve adjust etc. if anything. I can honestly say this is the best sled I have ever owned, of course I have only had Ski Doo! - Bill

9,000 km without major issues is a great sign.

try 17600 kms

Sounds like the 1200 is the way to go. Too bad you won't consider the Arctic Cat Z1, I know how you want a most comfortable ride. I think I've seen an Arctic cat in the back 40, it's not like you have never owned one before. That Jag was pretty comfy wasn't it?!

The 9K on my sled is this year and I will put at least that on it next year as well. - Bill

Bill, what do you believe causes the piston problem on the 600 ? I see it calls for premium gas - any chance there is a gas issue on the ones you have seen or something else?

Also, have you seen a higher or lower piston problem on the e-tec 600 than other BRP 2 strokes?

Thanks for your response.

Sounds like the 1200 is the way to go. Too bad you won't consider the Arctic Cat Z1, I know how you want a most comfortable ride. I think I've seen an Arctic cat in the back 40, it's not like you have never owned one before. That Jag was pretty comfy wasn't it?!

I also have a '77 Olympique 340 back there too and I can offer you a pretty good deal on it. icon_e_wink.gif

I think it's parked next to your wood-chipper. icon_razz.gif

if the winter holds out next year like it's suppose to we will be topping 20,000 miles on our 1200's. That's 32,000 kms in 3 seasons. Bring it on!

I'd like to suggest you take a look at the Jag Z1 and at least give it a think. I never thought I would own a Cat but I do and with the adjustable seat position and the totally adjustable handle bar position combined with the just overall comfort you would be hard pressed to find a more comfortable ride for touring.

After a long haul I will stop and change the seat position and the handle bars. It is one small lever each. I then feel rejuvinated because any pressure points have now shifted.

I'd like to suggest you take a look at the Jag Z1 and at least give it a think. I never thought I would own a Cat but I do and with the adjustable seat position and the totally adjustable handle bar position combined with the just overall comfort you would be hard pressed to find a more comfortable ride for touring.

After a long haul I will stop and change the seat position and the handle bars. It is one small lever each. I then feel rejuvinated because any pressure points have now shifted.

I noticed the adjustable features on the Cats at that small OEM display a couple of weeks ago at Downsview. Clever. I thought it was helpful to properly set-up the sled for different sized riders.

It never occurred to me that you could/should switch mid-day. Good point 02Sled.

if the winter holds out next year like it's suppose to we will be topping 20,000 miles on our 1200's. That's 32,000 kms in 3 seasons. Bring it on!

Bravo.

Way to enjoy the winters!

It looks like we'll have a 1200 X in our garage next winter. Mr. Evil ordered his yesterday. He tried the 800 E-tec this year and loved it but he's not sure the 800 is going to hold up so he went with reliability.

Evil

I noticed the adjustable features on the Cats at that small OEM display a couple of weeks ago at Downsview. Clever. I thought it was helpful to properly set-up the sled for different sized riders.

It never occurred to me that you could/should switch mid-day. Good point 02Sled.

Agreed. Nice feature for a long ride. Likely to stay in one positon for most of the year but on those EA weeks, an adjustment or two during the day would be welcome. Maybe, also, at a significant change in trail conditions.

Archived