Our Trip - Conditions Update 2/25

AkronOrange

New Liskeard - Shining Tree

Left Sunday from the Econolodge parking lot after driving in from Hutsville. "A" trail out of NL was great took that to A107C through Gowganda. A107C was in very good condition as well. Somehow we missed Ron's store, didn't see a sign on the trail. Realy wanted to stop by and meet Ron. Got into Shining Tree at about 5:00. Half of our group missed the "C" bypass and took "C". The logging was done both routes are good into Shining Tree. Had a great meal at 3 Bears and watched the US beat Canada.

Shining Tree - Hearst

This was out long day. Started with Grassy out of Shining Tree, there wasn't a lot of snow but enough to keep the hyfax lubricated. Rode to L143 it was in good shape, plenty of snow - could have used a grooming when we rode it on Monday. Tried to taked 22 into Timmins, (the bridge really is out) took another route into Timmins. Rode "C" out of Timmins to Smooth Rock, that and "A" to Kap were awesome. Tried to take L123 around Kap and found that they were working in the gravel pit and the trail has been plowed. You can ride it to the Hardy Loop bypass and take that back to "A". There is a "Trail Closed" sign at the Hardy Loop bypass. Rode "A" the rest of the way into Hearst. 340 miles all conditions were great.

Hearst - Hillsport

Rode "A" into Hornepayne fueled at the Esso, had some lunch at Uncles. A couple of our group had to turn back because of mechanical problems, the rest of us continued on to Hillsport. Stayed at the Hillsport Wilderness Lodge, Mark fixed us a great dinner and breakfast in the morning. The trails were great every art of the way.

Hillsport - Klotz Lake

"A" trail into Longlac was great got some gas at the Can-Op then headed in Klotz Lake on A107A. A107A had not been groomed only sleds have gone as far as Klotz Lake. Toni made us an awesome dinner and breakfast. That's where I'm sitting now. We're off to Hornepayne in a few minutes. I expect the conditions all the way back will as good as they were coming this way.

Klotz Lake - Hearst

Rode the A107A back toward Longlac, it was our intention to ride to Hillsport for fuel but the Polaris guy broke a spring so we went to Longlac to make some calls. He limped into the Can-Op station.

This next part is why we enjoy this sport like we do.

The owner of the Can-Op, Roger, and his family make a bunch of calls looking for the required parts. They were found at a Polaris dealer in Thunder Bay. The dealer took the parts off of a sled they had, drove them to a bus station and put them on a bus to Hearst. Roger then loaded the sled (did I mention it was Polaris) into his pick up and drove it and the owner to Hearst.

The rest of our group then began our ride, we skipped right through Hornepayne and rode into Hearst. Gerry, the owner of the Companion, gave us full access to the tools in the garage. The parts arrived on schedule we repaired the Polaris and were on the trail by 10:00.

Hearst - Cochrane

This was an easy day. Rode "A" trail all the way. Stopped at the Moonbeam clubhouse for a bite. Then headed for Cochrane.

Cochrane - New Liskeard

Another nice day. Some of the trails were a bit beaten up when we were riding them, nothing a grooming wouldn't solve. We rode "A" to A108 (I think) It was overcast when we were riding them, some of those fields coming into New Liskeard were windblown and it was difficult at times to see the trail.

We rode nearly 1600 miles and it was a fantastic trip. Given the conditions and weather leading up to our departure I would never have guessed that all of the trail would be so good. I can't think of any trail that was poor or I wish I hadn't ridden. The clubs should be commended for their efforts and all they have done with the marginal snowfall this year.

If you have any questions, or need any more specifics, send me a PM.

We have rerouted our trip due to the lack of snow in some areas. Please post information about any of the areas listed below. We are interested in Gogama, I see it is still listed as closed on OFSC, and "A" trail from Hillsport to Longlac, it has not been groomed for quite a while. I am going to make a few calls over the next couple days. I will post any information I get here.

Shining Tree - Hearst

Hearst - Hillsport

Hillsport - Klotz Lake

Klotz Lake - Hornepayne

Hornepayne - Cochrane

Cochrane - New Liskeard

Thanks in advance

happy valentines day

we are getting snow now and it is supposed to snow all day. 2 of our groups were in new liskeard yestarday and said it was good.

KELL

We have rerouted our trip due to the lack of snow in some areas. Please post information about any of the areas listed below. We are interested in Gogama, I see it is still listed as closed on OFSC, and "A" trail from Hillsport to Longlac, it has not been groomed for quite a while. I am going to make a few calls over the next couple days. I will post any information I get here.

Shining Tree - Hearst

Hearst - Hillsport

Hillsport - Klotz Lake

Klotz Lake - Hornepayne

Hornepayne - Cochrane

Cochrane - New Liskeard

Thanks in advance

happy valentines day

we are getting snow now and it is supposed to snow all day. 2 of our groups were in new liskeard yestarday and said it was good.

KELL

We were one of those groups. I arrived with son - has wonderful gumbo soup. Continued to Timmins.

New Liskeard to 3 Bears is great. Great trails out of New Liskeard. Fields , then wide trails. Miles and miles of smiles. Snow is thin throughout, but local clubs doing the most they can. Last few kms into Shining Tree are over a C- Re-route. Bumpy, "old Muskoka Trail' feel to narrow trail. Not knocking this temporary solution to a logging company problem (they took over road that was old C Trail) - just making Akron aware that last few kms are bumpy. We did this route yesterday. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Enjoy.

Akron - we're heading north so I'll keep you posted as computers are available.

NOTE- Just past Taka-Paka-Tika lodge (spelling??) on C trail towards Timmins, the trail simply ends at a road. To your left is 'Trail Closed" sign. Head up onto road and proceed 200 metres along highway. You will see the trail.. follow it, then cross back over the road.

Also - Hydro line on C south of Timmins is hell. For 10 kms. Then you simply blast along kms and kms of trails into Timmins.

Happy Trails

Happy Valentines Day!!

Thanks Kell and Canuck.

The reroute of C to 3 Bears is tough, but not nearly as bad as the road that the logging company took right to the stone. We rode it both ways a few weeks ago.

Looking forward the updates Canuck, ride safe.

Also - Hydro line on C south of Timmins is hell. For 10 kms. Then you simply blast along kms and kms of trails into Timmins.

Is this in the Timmins club's area or Gogama's?

Is this "hell condition" from low snow or no grooming?

TATA says L22 on the south side of town is closed due to a bridge closure over Mountjoy Creek.

There calling for snow almost all week for the TATA area , I hope to get up in the next 2 weeks myself , so post up lots of pics

I don't know who's for sure, but the Hydro line near Timmins is always questionable. I'll bet it's the Timmins portion. Maybe Canuck can clarify when he reads and posts again.

Happy Valentines Day!!

Thanks Kell and Canuck.

The reroute of C to 3 Bears is tough, but not nearly as bad as the road that the logging company took right to the stone. We rode it both ways a few weeks ago.

when you come in next week....you can either take the lake bypass or the c across the road. snowing now...so both should be better. they really got beat up this weekend as we had approx. 200 sleds yestarday. will keep you posted.

KELL

Happy Valentines Day!!

Thanks Kell and Canuck.

when you come in next week....you can either take the lake bypass or the c across the road. snowing now...so both should be better. they really got beat up this weekend as we had approx. 200 sleds yestarday. will keep you posted.

KELL

Thanks Kell

Don't want to have to run the rock road again. The portages were better. Still trying to find that perfect T-Shirt.

It'll be:

3 big steaks

1 small

2 whatever

See you on Sunday.

Hi guys - sorry I haven't been checking in the last couple of weeks - gone to Mexico since we had no snow. Well got back last night and we still have no snow. We got about 4 inches yesterday, but the A107A from Longlac to Hearst hasn't been groomed at all due to lack of snow. I doubt the additional 4 inches will even help considering we had less than 35 cm as of yesterday. I can keep you posted, but I would look at making some changes about coming to Klotz Lake this year. :whatever: Let me know how things are going!

Happy Valentines Day!!

Thanks Kell and Canuck.

KELL

Thanks Kell

Don't want to have to run the rock road again. The portages were better. Still trying to find that perfect T-Shirt.

It'll be:

3 big steaks

1 small

2 whatever

See you on Sunday.

Not quite as bad as '98, but close.

'98 had bare but frozen trails by end of Feb.

Wish I had a 4 wheeler back then! The trails in the Marathon area would have been KILLER to run like that! Many areas that cross lakes and swamps that you NEVER ride except when frozen. (And killer hills too!) Maybe this will turn out to be another such year?

Toni,

I received message from Mark at Hillsport, Hearst is trying to coordinate grooming A107A with the folks on your end. It doesn't make sense for either end to groom only 1/2.

we're going to try to make it out from Hillsport through Longlac, ideally we would like to be able to head to Hearst on A107A. If that's not possible we'll go back the way we came.

TATA says L22 on the south side of town is closed due to a bridge closure over Mountjoy Creek.

The C-Trail north of Gogama is Gogama clubs trail to Post 192 there north is Timmins club C-Trail.Gogama is working on a reroute around a big hill witch has been a problem grooming last few years and are getting there signage up to par as they were issued A-03's last year that where not corrected and there section of C-Trail must be audited before it is opened. Tata has our Op's director ready to go and inspect trails as soon as club lets district know its ready to open. Timmins club has just got the authorization from MNR to install MontJoy Creek Bridge should be installed in next few weeks.

The C-Trail north of Gogama is Gogama clubs trail to Post 192 there north is Timmins club C-Trail.Gogama is working on a reroute around a big hill witch has been a problem grooming last few years and are getting there signage up to par as they were issued A-03's last year that where not corrected and there section of C-Trail must be audited before it is opened. Tata has our Op's director ready to go and inspect trails as soon as club lets district know its ready to open. Timmins club has just got the authorization from MNR to install MontJoy Creek Bridge should be installed in next few weeks.

That being said, the Gogama club could be grooming their portion of the C trail between Gogama and Timmins. They just can't list it open until audit. Do you know if any grooming has taken place on the C trail between Gogama and Timmins by either club?

Shining Tree - Hearst

Hearst - Hillsport

Hillsport - Klotz Lake

Klotz Lake - Hornepayne

Hornepayne - Cochrane

Cochrane - New Liskeard

Thanks in advance

good afternoon

just to let you know...we got 4 inches more last night and it is snowing now. the groomer did the c south last night as we were swamped in here on the weekend and the trail was pretty beat up. i am sure it will get done again before you get here.

KELL

That being said, the Gogama club could be grooming their portion of the C trail between Gogama and Timmins. They just can't list it open until audit. Do you know if any grooming has taken place on the C trail between Gogama and Timmins by either club?

Hi the Timmins portion of the C-Trails is done and a good portion of Gogama's C-trail is also done just the part thats on the power line north of Gogama has not been groomed but with the snow they got last night and forcasted snow in the next few days they should be able to get through.

Sounds as though things are shaping up nicely. The sooner we get there the sooner we will get to the cold beer.

I wish the folks in district 16 were as eager to groom as all of you have been. It's almost like they don't want us there. Of course we have been there before....maybe they really don't want us there!

Sounds as though things are shaping up nicely. The sooner we get there the sooner we will get to the cold beer.

I wish the folks in district 16 were as eager to groom as all of you have been. It's almost like they don't want us there. Of course we have been there before....maybe they really don't want us there!

Hmmmm....you may have a point there! :rotflmao:

The C-Trail north of Gogama is Gogama clubs trail to Post 192 there north is Timmins club C-Trail.Gogama is working on a reroute around a big hill witch has been a problem grooming last few years

I know the hill you're talking about. The last trip we came down thru there a couple of years ago, you could see where the groomer had gotten stuck. I think there was a lot of ice from seepage under the snow & the groomer couldn't get traction.

Thank again JB!

P2271497.jpg

P2271496.jpg

P2271494.jpg

P2271493.jpg

Yup, that's the hill for sure...I remember it vividly, as we passed it on our way north from Tata-Chika-Pika to Cochrane 2 years ago -- the ice was so bad on the lower section of the slope that we had a bit of fun getting up it with just regular sleds. Can't imagine what a challenge it must be with a groomer.

Yup, that's the hill for sure...I remember it vividly, as we passed it on our way north from Tata-Chika-Pika to Cochrane 2 years ago -- the ice was so bad on the lower section of the slope that we had a bit of fun getting up it with just regular sleds. Can't imagine what a challenge it must be with a groomer.

We were lucky as we were southbound. Mind you it was pretty rough @ the bottom of the hill, good thing for studs. Was the groomer still there when you went thru? Gone when we were there.

We were lucky as we were southbound. Mind you it was pretty rough @ the bottom of the hill, good thing for studs. Was the groomer still there when you went thru? Gone when we were there.

Yes, the groomer was still there when we passed by. And several of us were NOT studded (including both my wife's sled and mine)...thus the excitement of having to take a run at it, given how rough it was at the bottom. :shock:

Yes, the groomer was still there when we passed by. And several of us were NOT studded (including both my wife's sled and mine)...thus the excitement of having to take a run at it, given how rough it was at the bottom. :shock:

I just spoke to Pat at Minakwa Lodge in Gogama and his trails are done and being audited today, he doesn't anticipate any problems. And our C trail down Grassy Lake Road is groomed and the L143 will be done tonight, as they are done logging. :woot:

Archived