Our Trip - Conditions Update 2/25

AkronOrange

Yup, that's the hill for sure...I remember it vividly, as we passed it on our way north from Tata-Chika-Pika to Cochrane 2 years ago -- the ice was so bad on the lower section of the slope that we had a bit of fun getting up it with just regular sleds. Can't imagine what a challenge it must be with a groomer.

We were lucky as we were southbound. Mind you it was pretty rough @ the bottom of the hill, good thing for studs. Was the groomer still there when you went thru? Gone when we were there.

Yes, the groomer was still there when we passed by. And several of us were NOT studded (including both my wife's sled and mine)...thus the excitement of having to take a run at it, given how rough it was at the bottom. :shock:

I just spoke to Pat at Minakwa Lodge in Gogama and his trails are done and being audited today, he doesn't anticipate any problems. And our C trail down Grassy Lake Road is groomed and the L143 will be done tonight, as they are done logging. :woot:

Marcel the Tata OP's Director is with Pat right now auditing trail and if no big problems found Tata will OPEN Gogama's C-trail later today once Marcel makes his report I can sign off on it right away.

Yup, that's the hill for sure...I remember it vividly, as we passed it on our way north from Tata-Chika-Pika to Cochrane 2 years ago -- the ice was so bad on the lower section of the slope that we had a bit of fun getting up it with just regular sleds. Can't imagine what a challenge it must be with a groomer.

We were lucky as we were southbound. Mind you it was pretty rough @ the bottom of the hill, good thing for studs. Was the groomer still there when you went thru? Gone when we were there.

Yes, the groomer was still there when we passed by. And several of us were NOT studded (including both my wife's sled and mine)...thus the excitement of having to take a run at it, given how rough it was at the bottom. :shock:

I just spoke to Pat at Minakwa Lodge in Gogama and his trails are done and being audited today, he doesn't anticipate any problems. And our C trail down Grassy Lake Road is groomed and the L143 will be done tonight, as they are done logging. :woot:

Thanks for the update Kell, this is great news.

Great info from everyone. Thanks for all of the help. We're leaving tomorrow for the Ride for Kelly and we'll be starting our long trip on Sunday from New Liskeard. I'll post when I can.

Been following this thread. I sure appreciate all the hard work going on here guys. My wife and I just changed our plans for next weekend and will go through here instead from north bay up to timmins/cochrane and back down through liskeard. Original plan was trailer to timmins and do the big loop around d'ville, hornpayne, cochrane but with no grooming in chapleau we've decided to bring some business to shinning tree/gogama area. Can't wait :woot:

All of the trails are great. Get out there and ride. Check my update at the beginning of this thread.

Thanks AkronOrange. Sounds like it's been a great trip so far and good conditions. I can only imagine with this week's snow it is only getting better.

I look forward to you next update. We won't be up to New Liskeard until Sunday night. The hockey tourney made Sat. night rooms challenging so we can't join you for a drink.

Ride safe.

Kevin

Somehow we missed Ron's store, didn't see a sign on the trail. Realy wanted to stop by and meet Ron.

What do you guys need? Flashing lights and a sign that says "Live Entertainment"?

:-) :poke:

Somehow we missed Ron's store, didn't see a sign on the trail. Realy wanted to stop by and meet Ron.

What do you guys need? Flashing lights and a sign that says "Live Entertainment"?

I was going to ask how fast they were riding. There are three signs heading in from Elk lake. One at the beginning, one 40 kms away and one right on the lake pointing in.. I guess larger signs for next year .. ( with sticks that reach out into the trail) :-D

[LIVE ENTERTAINMENT] Hmmmm...

I was going to ask how fast they were riding. There are three signs heading in from Elk lake. One at the beginning, one 40 kms away and one right on the lake pointing in.. I guess larger signs for next year .. ( with sticks that reach out into the trail) :-D

These guys cover a lot of miles in a day.... The officer even told them "boy you've got a long day ahead of you at 50 kmh."

We were moving at a good clip. We stopped in the parking lot across the lake then headed into the Reekie place. Saw some signs on the trail, but not when we got into "town". I know that if there was live entertainment we might have sniffed you out.

Thanks AkronOrange. Sounds like it's been a great trip so far and good conditions. I can only imagine with this week's snow it is only getting better.

I look forward to you next update. We won't be up to New Liskeard until Sunday night. The hockey tourney made Sat. night rooms challenging so we can't join you for a drink.

Ride safe.

Kevin

The QI was full. Kids running up and down the halls in the pool, it was crazy. What made it even worse - no hockey moms in the hot tub.

Have a great trip, ride safe.

Ride safe.

Kevin

The QI was full. Kids running up and down the halls in the pool, it was crazy. What made it even worse - no hockey moms in the hot tub.

Have a great trip, ride safe.

LOL......................I think this is definitely a hockey town. I tried to books rooms for next friday and they're all booked up due to hockey!

Heading to Timmins instead!

Anybody stay at Cedar Meadows in Timmins? Super 8 is where we usually stay and it's all booked up.

cedar meadows is a very nice place to stay. We stayed there last year.

cedar meadows is a very nice place to stay. We stayed there last year.

Thanks Flash, I ended up getting 2 rooms at the Super 8 don't ask me how. One minute their full. I called back a few hours later and they had 2 rooms available. I just like being beside Casey's!!

Archived