Parry Sound Crisis...

Trax

Thought I'd start fresh.

Just had a great conversation & wanted to share it.

First- don't panic. The intent of the closure was to have a chance to re-group & come up with a course of action to deal with the situation. The District did not intead to close for an extended period of time. Just a day or 2 so that the could get all clubs on the same page. They felt that if they closed, they could regroup and start up with new procedures in place that would protect volunteers in the future.

Second- the recent rain & wind storms have created a great deal of damage for the trails. In order for the trails to re-open, there will be alot of chainsaw work needed before the groomers can work their magic. I was told that if anyone really wants to show their support for the area and help get things back on track, they can contact one of the clubs and ask what they can do to help. Maybe if everyone shows up, helps clear a tree or two, the trails can be back up & running sooner than later.

Third- PSSD had no idea that closing the District would cause such an uproar. They have been overwhelmed with calls & offers of support. There are certainly questions regarding strategy in dealing with the MOL. The MOL only placed charges last week so it is no fault of the OFSC or the PSSD for the timing of the situation. Perhaps there are things that we all can do to assist the volunteers as they deal with the charges but for now, what they need is a bit of time (maybe till tommorrow) to regroup & help getting the trails cleaned up.

I for one, plan on being in Parry Sound this weekend to help clean up, support local business & enjoy the region, perfect trails or not.

Thanks Trax

Oh, I forgot to say that they tried to put togeather a press release but couldn't decide exactly what to say that wouldn't cause more panic. The felt that they would sit down tommorrow, come up with a course of action, and get on with it.

The PSSD just was not aware how many people came to this area as they judge the regions popularity on trail pass sales.

Thanks TRAX

Thanks Trax for clarifying the situation....I will be waiting for the press release tomorrow. BTW...I was watching A Channel News tonight and they said they will have full coverage of the situation on tomorrows news at 6:00PM.

Third- PSSD had no idea that closing the District would cause such an uproar.
The PSSD just was not aware how many people came to this area as they judge the regions popularity on trail pass sales.

As no authoritative source has been supplied re 'your conversation' I am having some difficulty swallowing this.

-according to Geoff, president of Cramadog club on their chat site, the MOL laid charges. It was also mentioned on the PSSD chat site by two people in authority at PSSD, words to the effect 'not to worry, we'll let you know soon'.

As STG has stated, the proper way to handle this would have been through a press release. In short:

1. Identify the problem

2. Communicate problem to stakeholders and the public.

3. Tell them what action they can follow to solve the problem.

We have seen some fine examples of how this works. Over on Hardcore Sledder a man sees a long time sledding contributor in danger of loosing his season, rallies support, sets up a manageable method of collecting funds, and the problem gets resolved.

On this forum, we have a group of 3 brave women who identify problems with a fund raising activity, come up with a plan, communicate it, tell us what they need done, and resolve the issue (hopefully!) with no rancor to the main fund raising body.

What has been generated with the current issue with the PSSD is a lot of uninformed stakeholders who have their pitch forks and torches ready, but with no place to go, or no course of action to follow.

Yep, I'm sympathetic to all those affected by the charges, appreciate the work of volunteers, and all that good stuff. The whole issue has been a disappointment to everyone. It will be worse if it turns out to be some high school level of thought exercise in inciting support. Give people the avenue of contributing rationally and intelligently and they will use it.

As no authoritative source has been supplied re 'your conversation' I am having some difficulty swallowing this.

-according to Geoff, president of Cramadog club on their chat site, the MOL laid charges. It was also mentioned on the PSSD chat site by two people in authority at PSSD, words to the effect 'not to worry, we'll let you know soon'.

As STG has stated, the proper way to handle this would have been through a press release. In short:

1. Identify the problem

We have seen some fine examples of how this works. Over on Hardcore Sledder a man sees a long time sledding contributor in danger of loosing his season, rallies support, sets up a manageable method of collecting funds, and the problem gets resolved.

On this forum, we have a group of 3 brave women who identify problems with a fund raising activity, come up with a plan, communicate it, tell us what they need done, and resolve the issue (hopefully!) with no rancor to the main fund raising body.

What has been generated with the current issue with the PSSD is a lot of uninformed stakeholders who have their pitch forks and torches ready, but with no place to go, or no course of action to follow.

Yep, I'm sympathetic to all those affected by the charges, appreciate the work of volunteers, and all that good stuff. The whole issue has been a disappointment to everyone. It will be worse if it turns out to be some high school level of thought exercise in inciting support. Give people the avenue of contributing rationally and intelligently and they will use it.

Excellent post slomo!!!

Well here are my thoughts on this issue. First of all OSFC should be stepping up to the plate here immeadiately with PSSD, from what they have said so far is just political BS, they are the governing body, they oversee the rules and regulations and I can't beleive that if the PSSD board of directors have any violation charges against them that OSFC dosen't have culpability in this as they are the the body that PSSD is governed by and for them to shy away is absolutely not responsible leadership. After all they are "PAID" employees not volunteers and are fully responsible for snowmobiling in Ontario, they take all the credit for what happens good in Ontario snowmobiling and pass the buck when it dosen't. I wouldn't be so quick to think the PSSD trails will be opened anytime soon and if OFSC doesn't step up to the plate here they will have lost all credibilty with any club and I wouldn't blame any club leaders who followed the same path. Snowmobiling in Ontario is a Billion dollar a year injecture into the economy and don't think that if this doesn't get resolved soon that the Manufacturers, BIA's, tour opereators etc. will stand by and do nothing, they will get involved unlike OSFC. My 2cents. - Bill

by geoff on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:29 pm

The Ministry of Labour has charged Marilyn Derks and West Pary Sound Snowsport in the death of the groomer operator, Michael Ryman, last year. Marilyn was President of the Carling club with which Michael Ryman was employed and she was also President of the grooming association in OFSC District 10. The grooming

This quote is from Geoff the president of Cramadog in response to my question conerning these actions that I posted on Cramadog's website/forum. I hope this can be resolved not just for the trails but for all the volunteer's & people involved.

1. Identify the problem

Very well presented.......thank you Slomo!

The local radio station (Moose FM) is broadcasting the closure of the trails but supplying no further information, just adds to the frustration

The accident in question was when a groomer operator went through the ice on a lake with the groomer. He escaped and then attemped to go for help. He subsequently died.

Hi all,

if everyone wants to support and get trails open...SPEAK UP....and not just on chats.

Go to the link on the OFSC website, or email, call or write in support of volunteers -- contact the government (Provincial) in any way shape or form to stop this attack on volunteers. FYI - the current charges could result in fines of up to $500,000 and/or jail time, and a criminal record - anyone still want to be a volunteer?

I will if some legislative protection is provided. My chainsaw is gassed and my loppers are on my machine!

I have been told by a good source that they have brought attention to the problem and have now restarted grooming.

Is this True? Has anyone else heard this? Are they going to update OFSC site?

I have been told by a good source that they have brought attention to the problem and have now restarted grooming.

Is this True? Has anyone else heard this? Are they going to update OFSC site?

Archived