Huntsville - North Bay

AkronOrange

Can this ride be done in 1 day? We have not done this ride, from the mileage guide it looks like it's about 200 miles.

As always, any information would be appreciated.

Thanks STG. How about Huntsville - Temagami?

I couldn't. You guyz might be able to do that, though. The North Bay to Temagami stretch is 'pretty quick'.

If you're staying overnight in Temagami, try the Northland Paradise Lodge; Doug and Marg Adams proprietors.

I see on this year's NNTA map that TOP D doesn't have any gaps. Hopefully the issues in the Powassan are have been resolved.

Huntsville-North Bay is no problem in one day. Try to shoot onto Callendar Bay as soon as possible, once your close to North Bay. Will save you considerable time.

Plan ahead for gas station. Maybe someone on forum can advise re: what's open.

Read early season posts re: issues of gas and that stretch that was closed (noted above).

I couldn't. You guyz might be able to do that, though. The North Bay to Temagami stretch is 'pretty quick'.

If you're staying overnight in Temagami, try the Northland Paradise Lodge; Doug and Marg Adams proprietors.

the D trail going through Powassan is going to be reopened this year according to the north bay club. As for gas it's not an issue. There are plenty of stops along the way, Kearney, Sundridge, Powassan and South River all have gas. Also the Petrocan in Callandar as well. It's about 1 1/2 hours from North Bay to Temagami (approx 70 miles) fairly straight for 2/3rds of the way.

There are plenty of stops along the way, Kearney, Sundridge, Powassan and South River all have gas. Also the Petrocan in Callandar as well.

Just be aware that TOP D doesn't pass thru any of these towns. You'll need to take a side trip off TOP D or plan your trip differently to pass thru these towns.

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/Downloads/Trails/maps/District11.pdf

the D trail going through Powassan is going to be reopened this year according to the north bay club. As for gas it's not an issue. There are plenty of stops along the way, Kearney, Sundridge, Powassan and South River all have gas. Also the Petrocan in Callandar as well. It's about 1 1/2 hours from North Bay to Temagami (approx 70 miles) fairly straight for 2/3rds of the way.

Hey, AO -- I'll second all of flash 800's comments, including the description of N. Bay to Temagami being fairly straight for much of that 70 mile distance. That's because it is on the Trans Canada pipeline, which roughly parallels Hwy. 11 and crosses it several times on that stretch.

However, one word of caution, AO...because much of the pipeline is fairly straight, groomed wide and is FAST, my experience is that the OPP sometimes like to "camp" on the stretch coming north out of North Bay on weekend days, and snap riders on radar coming both ways, where the sightlines and trail conditions are such that you can comfortably fly at well over twice the legal speed limit [or so I've heard... ;) ]

That can get mighty expensive :shock: , so keep your eyes peeled for groups in the distance on the edge of the trail, which may well be an OPP radar patrol.

... sightlines and trail conditions are such that you can comfortably fly at well over twice the legal speed limit [or so I've heard... ;) ]

Something your grandfather told you??? :lol:

... sightlines and trail conditions are such that you can comfortably fly at well over twice the legal speed limit [or so I've heard... ;) ]

Nope, not this time...as I recall, I think you were the one who told me about it. :poke: :lol:

Nope, not this time...as I recall, I think you were the one who told me about it. :poke: :lol:

Easily confused for your grandfather. :P :P :rotflmao:

Not really...my grandfather was better-looking, but not as tall.

:P :rotflmao:

Plus he didn't ride Yamaha...and one other thing...he died almost 30 years ago... :)

Not really...my grandfather was better-looking, but not as tall.

:P :rotflmao:

I replire

Plus he didn't ride Yamaha...and one other thing...he died almost 30 years ago... :)

Thanks for all the help. Maybe we'll give it a try, we have been known to "stretch" the speed limit just a touch. Reminds of something an OPP Officer once said to me near Timmins.... "Where you guys headed" "Hearst" I replied. "You'll be getting in kind of late at 50 kph" he said. "Yeah, looks like it....." I said. It was about 3:00 at the time.

Thanks again,

As soon as I seen the part come up from North Bay to Temagami I thought of the OPP right away. They sure are know for camping out, usually in there suv along there somewhere. You could go for a long time and get a little bit carried away and having a blast (safely) and ooopss. I was warned back the trail a little last year and was watching out for him. He checked out permit placement, didnt really care for mine, guess you have to be able to see it from 20 ft away. It is on the inside centre of my windshiled and if theres a bit of a glare I guess it was hard for him to pick it out right away. Just a warning though. This was mid week too. THeres a little reastaurant and I think gas at Tilden Lake. Real good spot for lunch.

Thanks for all the help. Maybe we'll give it a try, we have been known to "stretch" the speed limit just a touch. Reminds of something an OPP Officer once said to me near Timmins.... "Where you guys headed" "Hearst" I replied. "You'll be getting in kind of late at 50 kph" he said. "Yeah, looks like it....." I said. It was about 3:00 at the time.

Thanks again,

Sunday, February 24, 2008.

Thanks again,

Sunday, February 24, 2008.

Ya know STG, you scare me if you remember that, know wonder you ride so conservatively..... :rotflmao:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the trout creek connection is okay. I got lost there a few years ago. Ended up going up to Nippising village on some new trail n1410 or something like that. Couldn't find the D north one. Trail came to a dead stop in Trout creek. Ran some roads for 15 following the trail markers. Then came to an interstion that had two different directions and no signs. Went left and we ended up in Nippising village. Should have gone right, I tell yeah. I wonder if the problems here still exist. Female at the gas station in nippising said it happends all of the time. Filled up and ended up in north bay 1.5 hours later.

There are plenty of stops along the way, Kearney, Sundridge, Powassan and South River all have gas. Also the Petrocan in Callandar as well.

Just be aware that TOP D doesn't pass thru any of these towns. You'll need to take a side trip off TOP D or plan your trip differently to pass thru these towns.

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/Downloads/Trails/maps/District11.pdf

The Top D goes right through Kearney - and the gas station "Fetterley's" is just off the trail - FYI.

Archived