Trailer Bearings

Nutter

Just a reminder to check and/or replace them :woot::woot:

Saw two guys at around 4 am this morning pointing north packed with quads and hunting gear on the 121 just north of Fenelon, unfortunatly they were pointing north while sitting in the ditch, due to loosing a trailer wheel at the hub. :poke:

Saw two guys at around 4 am this morning pointing north packed with quads and hunting gear on the 121 just north of Fenelon, unfortunatly they were pointing north while sitting in the ditch, due to loosing a trailer wheel at the hub. :poke:

Thanks! Its on my list, check and repack bearings. :D

Thanks! Its on my list, check and repack bearings. :D

I seem to collect trailers.... RV, horse trailer for the wife, two boat trailers and a sled trailer. Had numerous others over the years and have always had bearing buddies and a gease gun. The sled trailer gets done start mid and end of season. Qucik and easy. Never had a problem yet.

Nutter so thru.....bearing buddies or not bearing's should be inspected yearly,tire's replaced every other year.Now saying that the peep's with alum trailer's should be inspecting all crossmember's and welds for crack's etc,I won't go into detail but the two we have around here (well know manuf) let's just say I had a man spend a day on the one and the other axle is out etc,all for a little welding.Monkey add that to your list.

Bearing Buddy's do offer some protection, but don't assume you can pump in a little grease and forget about them. Nor should you assume that popping the cap off the end of the axle and finding grease means that everything is O.K. The problem is often at the other side of the wheel, at the seal. Axle rusts a little; seal deteriorates; and water , sand and salt can be injested, ruining that bearing. You need to periodically completely disassemble the hub and bearings to be sure.

Was this thread intended for Sledjunk? :poke:

Quite often its the back bearing that fails , even with bearing buddies the bearings dont last forever. They will last longer and likely ensure worry free driving for the season but pull them off every year, replace the bearings and races, inspect the hub for wear pack in new grease and keep the grease to her throughout the season and you will likely not have a problem on the coldest night of the year on your way home on a Sunday night.

Princess auot has the best prices by far on wheel bearings.

i re do my bearings and seal every year, for what it cost, why not.

Was this thread intended for Sledjunk? :poke:

Had the same thought.

:o:lol:

Quite often its the back bearing that fails , even with bearing buddies the bearings dont last forever. They will last longer and likely ensure worry free driving for the season but pull them off every year, replace the bearings and races, inspect the hub for wear pack in new grease and keep the grease to her throughout the season and you will likely not have a problem on the coldest night of the year on your way home on a Sunday night.

AHHH another fan of princess auto... The gentlemen's club. Going in there is dangerous. I go in for one thing and come out with ten. A couple of years ago just about everybody I know got a tire gauge for Christmas. They were on sale so cheap I couldn't resist. Last visit I went for a trailer tongue jack and came out with a whole whack of 10X10 camo tarps. Not sure what to do with them but they were too good a bargain to pass up.

AHHH another fan of princess auto... The gentlemen's club. Going in there is dangerous. I go in for one thing and come out with ten. A couple of years ago just about everybody I know got a tire gauge for Christmas. They were on sale so cheap I couldn't resist. Last visit I went for a trailer tongue jack and came out with a whole whack of 10X10 camo tarps. Not sure what to do with them but they were too good a bargain to pass up.

Know your prices when you go!! Often things are more than retail. They have/had superclamps and superglides a couple of weeks back and they were full retail + $10-$15. And too boot, they were old stock, I believe the Superclamps were the previous generation model.

Many times you get a deal. If you want a deal, call one of our sponsors!

It's kind of like Costco you go in there for one thing and come out $200 poorer. Hey I could one of those, look at the price on that, etc.. Great store.

PA is certainly my nemisis as well. Especially since Canadian Tire turned onto a 'womens' store.

When I go to Novi, I intend to make a stop at Harbor Freight Tools. It is like a PA on steroids.

PA is certainly my nemisis as well. Especially since Canadian Tire turned onto a 'womens' store.

When I go to Novi, I intend to make a stop at Harbor Freight Tools. It is like a PA on steroids.

Have you been to the expanded PA on Dixie Rd in Mississauga. It is huge. I told my wife I was making a quick trip got there and saw how big it was I called and told her I would be a while. That was an expensive trip. Went for a hitch pin and came back with a log splitter.

I hardly ever go to Canadian Tire anymore... heck they even sell lots of clothing since they bought Marks, lots of kitchen gadgets and all kinds of useless stuff. Not good things like jacks, axle stands, automotive wire....

Have you been to the expanded PA on Dixie Rd in Mississauga. It is huge. I told my wife I was making a quick trip got there and saw how big it was I called and told her I would be a while. That was an expensive trip. Went for a hitch pin and came back with a log splitter.

I hardly ever go to Canadian Tire anymore... heck they even sell lots of clothing since they bought Marks, lots of kitchen gadgets and all kinds of useless stuff. Not good things like jacks, axle stands, automotive wire....

Imagine if you went there for a log splitter!!! :o

Very scary thought... but it sure would be fun... My wife tries to hide the credit card when she knows I'm going there. A trip to PA is almost as good as ....

Very scary thought... but it sure would be fun... My wife tries to hide the credit card when she knows I'm going there. A trip to PA is almost as good as ....

Did I ever post the pictures of my PA ?

Especially since Canadian Tire turned onto a 'womens' store.

Why? Have they started selling lingerie to compete w/ La Senza & La Vie en Rose?

Then again that might be a good idea to get men back to their stores. A lot of complaints about the direction Crappy Tire has taken.

Why? Have they started selling lingerie to compete w/ La Senza & La Vie en Rose?

Then again that might be a good idea to get men back to their stores. A lot of complaints about the direction Crappy Tire has taken.

It was the L'Eggs panty hose carousel that caught my eye !

Actually, despite the complaints, Canadian Tire has done a great job prospering their business after all the doomsayers predicted they wouldn't survive the arrival of the Big Box American Stores.

It was the L'Eggs panty hose carousel that caught my eye !

Actually, despite the complaints, Canadian Tire has done a great job prospering their business after all the doomsayers predicted they wouldn't survive the arrival of the Big Box American Stores.

I made a trek to Canadian Tire on the weekend out of necessity. They have indeed prospered by becoming a big box themselves. As I entered the store the first section I had to get through was small kitchen appliances, pots, pans and dinner ware on my way to the good stuff in the back corner of the store. Then on the way out, possibly because of this topic I happened to realize there were significantly more women in line at the cash than there were men. Smart move for Canadian Tire. Retailers know that women control 80% of a household's disposable income.

While trailer bearings are important don't forget the wheel nuts or bolts. It was such a nice day yesterday that I figured it was perfect to check the running gear on the sled trailer. I loosen and retighten the wheel nuts once a year so that I can feel confident if I ever need to do this on the side of a road I can. This year they had a fair bit of rust on them. The very first one I went to I didn't even get a chance to try and turn the wrench. As soon as I touched it the stud and nut came off in my hand. One of the studs had sheered itself. All of the others seem fine.

A quick trip to Canadian Tire (closest possible solution). They don't have the studs or nuts only bolts for a threaded hub. Off to good old Princess Auto and back home with a full set of studs and bolts to replace them all just in case.

Moral of the story don't forget to check your nuts as well as your bearings.

Archived