No more $$$$$

Big Reg

This is it............the bank account is empty :banghead:

We still have a full tank of fuel in the TM130, so here's how it's going to work.

1- we will groom the first 7 km on the D and F trail, this is the section that get bad all the time, the rest is logging road.

2- we will groom the first 10 km on the D108A

3- we will groom up to the magpie on the D trail towards White River.

we will monitor the trails and keep you guys posted when we are going to closed it.

the district don't have any $$$$ to give to us or others club to keep going.

We need to find an other way to fund the trails system.

Thank you to all for your support.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's so sad !!! What was OFSC answer when you asked for more money ???? Or did you ask ??? Not a good way to promote snowmobiling...OFSC better rethink there business plan because at this rate there will not be a OFSC....Too bad are trails around here were really good most of the year, and I have heard alot of postive comments about the Northern trails ...Sure a trail permit is worth it to the people that have time and money to enjoy them, but what about thousands of people sitting on that bubble wondering if they should buy a permit next year ??? Sorry it just pisses me off when stupid crap like this happens...Thank you to all the clubs that made a awesome sledding year, one of the best in a long time....

Sadly we will hear more of this as a dollar can only be stretched so far.

People get ticked to hear about this.

But no where near as much as when you mention to so many that the price of permits must go up to cover the expenses.

I know many on here know what's all involved to provide this awesome trail system, still there are those that don't.

Best of luck in stretching it as far as possible.

Jeff

Some of the rich Clubs down south here, should be sending some money up there.

X2

X4 !!! It makes no sense that clubs in the Southern part of this Province that had an early end to the season can't share some of their $$$ to help out the areas that are still open and grooming :wtf::wtf:

That's what the matrix does.

A club keeps enough money to cover their costs.

All clubs are a non-profit organization.

The price they pay for their permits is determined by their operating costs.

All excess goes into the trail fund which gets distributed back to the districts in equalization payments.

It's up to the district to distribute that money where it's needed.

The real problem is that there's not enough money collected through permit sales and private sponsorships.

Government money isn't consistent. They gave 3 million last year and none this year or the year before last.

There are no clubs sitting on mattresses stuffed full of money.

Yes a small number of clubs have decent sized bank accounts which is deceiving.

That money is allocated for groomer replacement.

It tougher for southern clubs to get funding for groomer purchases so they need to buy them with their own money in full. No grants through the OFSC. We all know the cost of a groomer and drag by now. That's where any excess permit money is going.

Any clubs that groomed less hours this year due to an early end in some areas will pay more per permit next year and possibly for the next 4 years. Please don't forget the early start to the season where trails were being groomed in Dec.

That extra money they will pay for permits goes into the trail fund to assist clubs facing this very situation that is mentioned at the start of this thread. Again, the real problem is that there is NOT enough money generated by permit sales at the current pricing. Of course we know that non-educated riders whine about the price as it is. We'll hear it again next November when they discover that the permit price has been set at a $20 price increase. The first one in 5 seasons. That's the reality of maintaining the greatest trail system in the world. It's darn expensive. I've read over the season people complaining that certain trails were rough when they rode them. Clubs have cut back how often they groom because they are trying to stretch their limited dollars as much as they can. People are going to have to either stop complaining or buck up and speak with their hard earned dollars that are getting stretched very thinly in this economy. There are no easy answers here. Only expensive ones.

Sorry.

Jeff

The OFSC should do a better job informing permit buyers on the costs associated with organized snowmobiling. I find it troubling that most dont know how where the money goes. Some find it hard to believe that volunteers actually volunteer and say" nobody does anything for free so you must be getting something out of it"

Perhaps if the information was more public people would stop complaining about the permit costs.

If all those that rode trails purchased permits I don't think we would need a price increase. I'm sorry to say but the vast majority of those not having permits that Ive encountered this year were locals who ride club trails during the week when enforcement is non existent. There have been days this winters where I have come across many sleds without permits and they certainly were not all landowners or trappers.

The only other option is to reduce the km of trails to bring costs down

That's what the matrix does.

A club keeps enough money to cover their costs.

Any clubs that groomed less hours this year due to an early end in some areas will pay more per permit next year and possibly for the next 4 years.

We'll hear it again next November when they discover that the permit price has been set at a $20 price increase.

Clubs have cut back how often they groom because they are trying to stretch their limited dollars as much as they can. People are going to have to either stop complaining or buck up and speak with their hard earned dollars that are getting stretched very thinly in this economy. There are no easy answers here. Only expensive ones.

Sorry.

Jeff

I'm not exactly sure how club funding works (matrix is the answer you get?)(I kinda understood the movie? maybe it's like that?)as I'm too busy trying to make trails with little money.

Basing club revenue on grooming hours and money spent makes no sense. The Clubs like some of us up North who save money and grooming hours (grooming at night, watching weather, volunteers, donations) get penalized when it come to next years funding?

I know some of the past people in the club would say make sure you get enough grooming hours or you won't get your funding... that makes absolutely no sense in the big picture to me. We all have to try and stretch the dollars and reward the ones who do it.

I believe the $20 increase was cancelled for next year. I'm no business man of the year but when times are tough we don't raise the prices we have sales!!

We definately need some more effort put into permit enforcement, if all the riders payed their share we would have much less problem. I think there are more riders without permits every year around here.

That's good business !!! Cut grooming short and raise permit prices !!! With this resecion going on I am sure that trail permit sales are going to fall..So does that mean that there will only be enough money to groom to the middle of feburary...Bottom line is OFSC has to find a way to increase trail permit sales .........Too bad we are going to loose are amazing trail system..........

Maybe its time the governments put some of that gas tax back where it comes from. With all the taxes collected from snowmobiling I'm sure a llittle bit would go a long way to helping the clubs.

X4 !!! It makes no sense that clubs in the Southern part of this Province that had an early end to the season can't share some of their $$$ to help out the areas that are still open and grooming :wtf::wtf:

Well they do Share... that's Why we have the OFSC MATRIX, It's Good, it's Not the Best but it's better than It was in the past. the thing is We are at the Max of permit money we can Holdback.... but Since our Permits sales have gone down (250+ to 70+) well it makes for a Big Shortfall now..... I can't Complain, we had help, OFSC has been good to Us.... there's so much they can do.... we are not the Only Club like this.

Thanks for the moral Suport Guys!!!

How much money would it take for you to finish grooming the rest of the season? - Bill

well with $1000.00 and with the fuel we have in the groomer now, we should be able to groom 2 times the D108A, 1 time D trail to White River and 2 times D traail Wawa and F trail Missinabie.

The D108A cost about $250.00 in fuel per trip.

with $1000.00, low traffic and skipping sleep for groomer guy and myself we can keep the trails going.

It still comes down to not enough money in the system Districts 10 and 7 are short of money most if not all of the districts in the far north are short . A few of the businesses that make a living off the sport in a good year contribute,some sit back and ride others shoulders. The government makes a fortune off of all the different taxes(sales,booze,accommodation,income,property taxes to name a few.) It seems to me that the winner is the government who could easily free up millions in insurance premiums by passing the protect your volunteers bill but Dalton Mcwimpy cannot show leadership. This change alone would relieve huge bureaucracy and dollars .

Well Big Red, although I have never snowmobiled in your area, but I have talked to many who have and they all say I should make the trip there and I would if I could get the time to do so. With that being said I would definetely like to help you guys out so all you need to do is to PM me your mailing address for the club and the name of the club to make the cheque out to and I will donate $500.00 towards your unrelentless quest for the trails to be the best that you can make them for the rest of the season. - Bill

Bill, That is a great move. For one I haven't been able to make as many trips the last two years. (money) I do enjoy the countless hours that the groomers, trail crews, signage, brush cutters, etc. I am thankful for your offer to help me have a final ride for the season!

Thank-you

Skidooing

We went through the area for the first time this year and the trails were perfect. I understand the clubs struggle with the dollars. I help out locally with the trail maintenance but stay away from the political end of it. I don't know how you guys do it. I am for a permit increase.......personally I thought it's way overdue. Great job to all the clubs and the ofsc for allowing us the opportunity to see the province when everyone else is hybernating. When parking a boat costs 900 dollars where I live for the summer I'll gladly pay much more for a permit to ride my sled anywhere in the province. Heading back to cochrane this weekend for our last trip this year and looking forward to it. Good job everyone!!!

Well Big Red, although I have never snowmobiled in your area, but I have talked to many who have and they all say I should make the trip there and I would if I could get the time to do so. With that being said I would definetely like to help you guys out so all you need to do is to PM me your mailing address for the club and the name of the club to make the cheque out to and I will donate $500.00 towards your unrelentless quest for the trails to be the best that you can make them for the rest of the season. - Bill

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Wow..... the People we meet On this Site are amazing!!! thanks alot Bill.... Well I will PM you my Info and we you get here to ride I Will make Sure you get toop treatment.... Well as Everyone Knows We always do to everyone.. but Wow. Thanks It will be a great help.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Wow..... the People we meet On this Site are amazing!!! thanks alot Bill.... Well I will PM you my Info and we you get here to ride I Will make Sure you get toop treatment.... Well as Everyone Knows We always do to everyone.. but Wow. Thanks It will be a great help.

That is awesome!!!!!!!!! 8-)

Archived