Snowmobile Maintenance / Purchases

stoney

40 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Except Yamaha motors last longer than anything else out there by a mile

LOL - might be somthing to that......

I still aint using their recommended oil change interval if I had one!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

They (Yamaha) dont care. They just need to get you through the warranty period. Then they can wash their hands of you. Just like Toyota and the 10,000 mile (mile) oil changes... No thank you Toyota. Ski

You are entitled to your opinion. Others may not agree with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Only way to tell is pull an oil sample sent it to lab. Take it mid stream and see what you get. I bet it's not bad at all after 10,000 km's. I pulled a sample of mobile 1 after 12,000 km's and it was still perfect in a car engine. Now I run it 15,000 with confidence. 😎

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Only way to tell is pull an oil sample sent it to lab. Take it mid stream and see what you get. I bet it's not bad at all after 10,000 km's. I pulled a sample of mobile 1 after 12,000 km's and it was still perfect in a car engine. Now I run it 15,000 with confidence. 😎

How often do you change oil on your diesel tractors/farm equipment?

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

As are you.

For me, oil and filters are cheap. rebuilding any motor, 4t, 2t, Diesel, are not. I know it never hurts to change oil early. Ski

• Like 2

Sludge in engines these days, and for some time now, are a huge issue, that is caused by a lack of routine oil maintanence and engines that run much hotter than they did in the past.

Manufactures have these built in gauges that tells you when to change, these are not geared towards engine longevity, they are built based on using less oil for our enviromentalist groups and of course by the time a failure occures, warranty is usually long gone.

But yes, to each their own, you do you and I'll do me sort of thing, no issues really, just practices that people use based on thier own beliefs/routines.

A close friend of mine owned a multi generation mid sized transport compamy and 25 years or more ago Petro Canada approached him wanting to do an oil testing program. At the time the heavy haul fleet with loaded weights in the 123,000 - 139,500 lb. range operated all over Ontario and in Quebec and Michigan.

When the testing started the trucks were on a 15,000 km. change interval. Petro Canada supplied the 15W40 non synthetic oil for the cross section of trucks they were testing and took samples for testing at different periods and were there to take samples at oil change time. Those samples were tested and my friend received copies of all the test results. If engines in the participating trucks were torn down for any reason, Petro Canada inspected the engine parts involved. Petro even had at least one high mileage engine that hadn't failed torn down for inspection.

Over the years of testing the results were so encouraging that the change intervals were extended on trucks and the last I remember the change intervals for the whole fleet were at 40,000 km.

There was never any pre mature oil related failures on the sampled engines that I remember. They used good name brand filters but I don't remember if they did filter changes midway therough the change intervals or not.

I'm pretty certain that there are fleets out there presently operating on 50,000 + km. oil change intervals but those are not likely heavy haul. 

• Like 3

I have no doubt there are folks and people that go as far as possible, espcially fleets, just for me personally and my own gear, no thanks regardless of other circumstances.

Plus gas vs. diesel engines operate quite a bit differently. 

But these types of programs & experiences do provide another perspective on the topic for sure.