Snowmobile Maintenance / Purchases

stoney

5 hours ago, coldfinger said:

Of course you would .

Whats that supposed to mean?    Its a lot easier to change it now than it is to lose valuable time/money on a trip because your sock is plugged.   

My dealer is changing it on all 900 Turbos if they are in for a pre-season and have over 6000kms on the original one.   

3 hours ago, scottyr said:

Whats that supposed to mean?    Its a lot easier to change it now than it is to lose valuable time/money on a trip because your sock is plugged.   

My dealer is changing it on all 900 Turbos if they are in for a pre-season and have over 6000kms on the original one.   

If St Onge is doing that, as well perhaps other dealers too, are they charging for it and why has this not been addressed by the manufacture?

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 2:55 PM, stoney said:

Do you shower and put on dirty underwear....

The filter and o-rings are the cheaper part, oil is the bigger expense so it only makes sense to me to change it all, but to each their own.

I do it all the time on equipment. Most filters are good for a few oil changes and never get it all out of lines or pump. Snowmobile engine has no dirt contamination so I wouldn’t be afraid to use it over again.  Time is money and never had an engine failure caused by doing this. 
I did some research on sock suppose to be good for 2500 hours of fuel filtering. Maybe if you have 20,000 km’s on sled , I would considering doing it. Sounds like you got a good one and isn’t giving you any grief 😎

17 hours ago, scottyr said:

Is it just 900 turbos that are trouble ??

5 minutes ago, wrightonalan said:

Not sure seems they changed design  and it’s a combination of parts and debris people are saying. Hit and miss it seems. Some have trouble some don’t. I think older 900 aces don’t have same delima, but could change sock if high miles. 
I looked and socks should be good for life of snowmobile. Filter suppose to be good for 2500 hours of use. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

I have not noticed if the issue is mostly with the Turbo or Turbo R sleds or the N/A sled too, or if the issue only started to appear in 2022 when the R came out.

I would assume with the Turbo or Turbo R sleds having more power with the turbo they are running at higher fuel pressures, even though I think they all use the same fuel pump.

It does state in my manual to "replace fuel pump outlet filter" every 5 years, which is beyond 3 years or 10,000km scheduled maintenance interval that falls just before the 5 year service interval......no mention of the sock.

I am hoping @scottyr can comment on what his dealer is basing this maintenance item on, telling their clients, etc....I would assume just doing it for good measure based on customer experiences to avoid a trail side issue and doing it at an added cost.

• Like 1

good video ,strong farmer should watch it 🤣

• Thanks 1

If its plastic then clearly a manufacturing issue.  Should be a recall, but wont happen.  What is involved in changing them for us folks that do our own work?  Is this a one time thing after the sleds been through a cpl thousand km?  Or a re-occuring maintenance item?  Seems like once its done and tank is clean wouldn't be needed again unless you get into bad gas.

3 hours ago, signfan said:

If its plastic then clearly a manufacturing issue.  Should be a recall, but wont happen.  What is involved in changing them for us folks that do our own work?  Is this a one time thing after the sleds been through a cpl thousand km?  Or a re-occuring maintenance item?  Seems like once its done and tank is clean wouldn't be needed again unless you get into bad gas.

Based on what I have seen posted from others:

• remove tank
    • seat, hood, side panels, centre console panel, cross brace & fuel line
  • Remove snap ring holding the fuel pickup/pump assembly from tank
  • Separate fuel pickup/pump assembly
  • Clean fuel pickup and gas tank thoroughly
  • Replace sock and inline fuel filter
  • Reassemble

People tend to have issues with the seal that goes on the inside of the fuel pickup assembly that swells so reinstall can be tricky or just replace the seal as well

Have not seen much mentioned about doing it again after the initial sock replacement, so I would think moving forward it will be just an inline fuel filter replacement.

I do not understand why this is not a manufacture recall, maybe it will be, just a matter of time and after most have already done their own at their own cost......

• Like 1

I'm thinking just the gen 4 sleds then and probably only certain years.  With 25,000 and 30,000 km on our sleds probably no concern with this issue unless we run into a spell of bad gas somewhere.  

Changing these socks is probably on some maintenance interval recommendation.  That'll be how they're getting around the recall.  If you follow the schedule this is addressed before its ever an issue to you.

2 hours ago, signfan said:

I'm thinking just the gen 4 sleds then and probably only certain years.  With 25,000 and 30,000 km on our sleds probably no concern with this issue unless we run into a spell of bad gas somewhere.  

Changing these socks is probably on some maintenance interval recommendation.  That'll be how they're getting around the recall.  If you follow the schedule this is addressed before its ever an issue to you.

From what I read on Dootalk, its only the Gen 4's.

48 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

From what I read on Dootalk, its only the Gen 4's.

Has it been an issue on the 2 strokes?

Ive only ever read about this on the 4 stroke forum. 
This will be the first year for Gen5 4 strokes, so I guess time will tell if the issue has been addressed. 

The sleds are still in the barn  haven't really thought about them. Normally I put a couple tent trailers in that spot so I would need to start them. Move them and trip over them. Not great since older guys don't heal as fast :).  Fire them up in a month and oil changes for both and sliders and  new to me snowtrackers to the Endoro. 

10 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

The sleds are still in the barn  haven't really thought about them. Normally I put a couple tent trailers in that spot so I would need to start them. Move them and trip over them. Not great since older guys don't heal as fast :).  Fire them up in a month and oil changes for both and sliders and  new to me snowtrackers to the Endoro. 

You changing your own oil. Any tips to make it easier 😀

1 minute ago, volunteer2 said:

Easy peasy    follow the operators manual   buy the kit from the dealer   takes about an hour   and at the end the beer tastes so good  

same here but buy oil filter and gaskets from dealer  and buy oil somewhere else .No warranty so dont have to worry about that .Very easy after you do it a few times .Sliders pretty basic too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strong Farmer said:

Kit I was just going to buy oil from Canadian tire. Filter will be fine still 😎.

Dont be cheap ,buy a filter !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Easy peasy    follow the operators manual   buy the kit from the dealer   takes about an hour   and at the end the beer tastes so good  

What ya thinking , a 2 or 3 beer job…lol

No tall boys of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stoney said:

What ya thinking , a 2 or 3 beer job…lol

No tall boys of course. 

ha ha   not really a tall boy guy   except good craft beer  then in a real glass  glass   reg bottles are for me      now wait for the slider replacement  that's a different animal  🙃

• Like 1