This will be a real winter

Wildbill

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Most places require 24 hour notice for cancellation. Weekends you will be charged two nights if you don’t give 24 hour notice for Friday and Saturday Is policy at many hotels, motels, etc. 

Some have a rule if they can re book it then they refund your money. I am ok with all three. As long as rooms there when I get there all is good. 😎

Now, yes.....and it actually ranges from 24 hours and up (48, etc...), but we are talking about northern parts of ON & QC, in the past, surprisingly, many places did not charge you if you could not make it due to break down, etc......,you called, explained the situation and all good.

So I am wondering if the Gaspe region that seems to have a higher rate of these things happening due to weather patterns, play by the same new rules as many other places do now since Covid.  

11 hours ago, stoney said:

Thanks PLC!

Can you or perhaps others comment on the policy now a days on a now show at a lodge/hotel?

It seems since Covid many places are charging for no show where they never used to since they understood things can and will happen on saddle bag trips, but that seems to no longer matter - you are not the first to talk about the good possibility of a storm rolling in and causing unplanned delays.

I can't speak to anything since Covid as we haven't been able to do a saddlebag trip since. I can only remember one time in over 30 years of saddlebag trips prior to Covid where we had to pay  $100.00 for each of 2 rooms when we couldn't make the destination due to a breakdown. 

As for the storm issue we were fortunate to never loose a day in Gaspe however we have had to adjust destinations due to heavy snow a couple of times.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I can't speak to anything since Covid as we haven't been able to do a saddlebag trip since. I can only remember one time in over 30 years of saddlebag trips prior to Covid where we had to pay  $100.00 for each of 2 rooms when we couldn't make the destination due to a breakdown. 

As for the storm issue we were fortunate to never loose a day in Gaspe however we have had to adjust destinations due to heavy snow a couple of times.

I am sure in some scanario’s they let you change or cancel free of charge. 
I was at Elliot lake at lodge and people called in while I was sitting at bar and canceled  to a broke down sled and owner said no problem and was grateful to have a chance to catch up on laundry and few things around hotel. Weather related chance riders will be stuck and take another night anyways.  Champanion and west way in Ontario have been good for above scanario too. 
Quebec pretty snowmobile friendly so imagine places that will bend rules providing they can move food you ordered, in hopes you book again in future. 

And the Quebec trails will be filled with students :)

"( Quebec is) short more than 8,000 teachers, and has rather lowered its standards to fill the gap. "You have a BA in history, mathematics, chemistry or French? You want to try your hand at a new career? We have place for you now," says Drainville. "You will become an unlicensed teacher." He stopped short of offering a free toaster to entice more applicants."

LMV should teach. I'd love to read about it in the local newspaper 🤣🥸

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 7:47 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I would disagree with your varying terrain comment. I've ridden in 5 states and Quebec as well as our province. I have never seen anything close to the varied terrains in Quebec from Abitibi to Saguenay and especially Gaspe. If you haven't been there you should make the effort. It's worth the ride.  Forgot to mention the accomodations and food. Quebec wins there as well. JMHO

Were heading to Gaspe in the beginning of March for the first time. We plan on doing around 6 days of riding there and giving a break to the Ontario northern corridor this time around .. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

Berry bushes are full. There is enough food deep in the bush that the bears are not venturing out at all. Apple trees are loaded trees are turning and August was not a hot month. Here we go 

Now September going to be a cooker next week. Get generator ready Ontario grid could be pushed past our max capacity next week. 🤣 New York line is down for maintaince so be no help from

them. It be a real test 🤪

9 hours ago, infernobuster said:

Were heading to Gaspe in the beginning of March for the first time. We plan on doing around 6 days of riding there and giving a break to the Ontario northern corridor this time around .. 

6 days should be great for your first trip around. Enjoy!