Self adjusting Electric Brakes

Fuse6

Need to install new brakes on my trailer. 3500 lb axles.

Anyone use the self adjusting electric brakes.

Would think the cable, pulley and clicker mechanism would seize up quickly in the environment a sled trailer is running in. 

lf they do function properly for 2 or 3 seasons then l would try a set.

take them apart and hit them with anti seize to protect the adjuster. also, the backing plate, springs etc... with fluid film or the like. spray everything but the shoes and inside drums. it will help them last. Ski

• Like 4

Aren't all electric brakes "self adjusting"?

• Like 1

some and some are manually adjusted

16 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Need to install new brakes on my trailer. 3500 lb axles.

Anyone use the self adjusting electric brakes.

Would think the cable, pulley and clicker mechanism would seize up quickly in the environment a sled trailer is running in. 

lf they do function properly for 2 or 3 seasons then l would try a set.

I have them on my tent trailer. Work fine never any trouble since it never sees winter. Only looked at them a few times in past 15 years. On a sled trailer you have to do more maintaince like ski says. Towing in off season keeps them loose. Once a month move trailer and take it for a drive.  I know a contractor tows his trailer every week day never has trouble with electric brakes. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 6:14 PM, skidooboy said:

take them apart and hit them with anti seize to protect the adjuster. also, the backing plate, springs etc... with fluid film or the like. spray everything but the shoes and inside drums. it will help them last. Ski

Yikkes. Be careful with this advise.

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, Puggz said:

Yikkes. Be careful with this advise.

Why?

stop corrosion and seizing brakes, making things work better, last longer? Ski

6 hours ago, stoney said:

Maybe missed the part about spray everything BUT the shoes...lol 

That's the only questionable part. Once that brake assembly starts to work and get hot some of that Fluid Film is going to work it's way onto the shoes and drum surface. All of the brake dust sticks to it and makes a horrible filthy paste that makes cleaning and servicing that much more of a chore the next time.

I clean and lubricate all of the adjusting mechanism and pivot points with some quality anti seize and leave the rest of it clean. This method has always served me well on my own equipment and stuff that I serviced. I try to not use an excess of lubricant in any one area. Just enough to do the job without collecting grime that will turn the lubricant into an abrasive over time.

The only exception to this is for landscapers with salting equipment. Drive that thing through a wading pool of Fluid Film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Why?

stop corrosion and seizing brakes, making things work better, last longer? Ski

I just said "careful". Electric drum brakes work completely different than the auto version, the magnets attach themselves to the inner section of the drum.  Any excursion of anti-seize/grease/lube will completely eliminate the ability for the unit to act in anger.  Brake assemblies can get quite hot and with all the moving parts, there's a big possibility that lubricants can end up in the most undesirable location.  YMMV.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:49 AM, Wildman said:

I do annual inspections daily, I am always adjusting self adjusting brakes.

Yes. Usually everything is seized up. If I can’t adjust them, they get new hardware kits. It is not worth my time to save those parts. The customers usually complain about that so I give an economics lesson. $65.00 for a new kit or $100.00 for me to clean and lubricate it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1