Black river Matheson to Iroquois falls

diesel04

Hey guys hearing about guys bypassing the trail and running the river anyone know anything about this? Thanks 

Diesel 04 the ride on that river looks like it might be fun but I can't imagine anyone on this forum that would recommend you should ride a river that isn't part of a recognized trail especially at this time of the year and given the expected temperatures in the area tomorrow. JMHO

40 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Diesel 04 the ride on that river looks like it might be fun but I can't imagine anyone on this forum that would recommend you should ride a river that isn't part of a recognized trail especially at this time of the year and given the expected temperatures in the area tomorrow. JMHO

My thoughts exactly.  If you do ride it, and survive,  i would love to hear a trip report..:whatever:

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

My thoughts exactly.  If you do ride it, and survive,  i would love to hear a trip report..:whatever:

Thanks for the replies, I was just curious if anyone has heard or done it, I would not do it without hearing if its something a lot of people do. Survive LOL I ride an 850 too just hit the throttle she will walk on water!!!! 

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

thanks piston lake cruiser yes I full agree, my buddy has heard of this bypass from a few people so just didn't know if it was something we were missing and an easy enough route. 

For anyone riding from Iroquois Falls to Timmins on the A111C there was a fairly large water crossing on the trail we came across on Friday, there was a way around it up on the rail bed but if you were driving really quickly it may be hard to avoid it.

Thought I should mention it to you guys.

33 minutes ago, Nunz said:

For anyone riding from Iroquois Falls to Timmins on the A111C there was a fairly large water crossing on the trail we came across on Friday, there was a way around it up on the rail bed but if you were driving really quickly it may be hard to avoid it.

Thought I should mention it to you guys.

thnx for heads up !

When we filled up in Iroquois falls, the girl there said they run the river to Matheson all the time BUT, you want to know what you're doing and go with a local that does it.

That particular river is pretty wide and slow moving.  I'd not hesitate to run it.  I run the local river between 2 lakes up here, and once it's frozen, it's frozen good.  Probably 3 feet of ice on the Black river you're referring to.  However, if you're not accustomed to water running and aren't comfortable doing so, don't do it.  Rivers are not to be underestimated, currents are very unexpected around curves ... you have to know what water does going around a curve in a riverbed, to understand where there is and isn't current.

Would I do it, very likely.  Would I recommend anyone else do it, not so likely.

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

That particular river is pretty wide and slow moving.  I'd not hesitate to run it.  I run the local river between 2 lakes up here, and once it's frozen, it's frozen good.  Probably 3 feet of ice on the Black river you're referring to.  However, if you're not accustomed to water running and aren't comfortable doing so, don't do it.  Rivers are not to be underestimated, currents are very unexpected around curves ... you have to know what water does going around a curve in a riverbed, to understand where there is and isn't current.

Would I do it, very likely.  Would I recommend anyone else do it, not so likely.

thanks for the reply, we plan on givin er a go if opportunity arises. we are very familiar with it up there and a bit of slush doesn't bother us. 

I imagine TOP A west of the Ford dealer in Val Gagne is pretty much screwed what w/ the road running involved :-(

45 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I imagine TOP A west of the Ford dealer in Val Gagne is pretty much screwed what w/ the road running involved :-(

See that guys are running the field,  directly across from the Ford dealer, on sunday as we headed south..

3 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Would I ride it now? Probably not, and here's why:

1. Matheson to IF is north of the watershed, which means the Abitibi River flows north.....carrying the warmer water from the south. This undercuts the ice from below and makes it even more unpredictible. There may not slush, but there could be thin ice.

2. The river is controlled by a dam in Iroquios Falls. Dams and rivers have a turbulent relationship.

3. It's just not a good time of year for river running. Leave that to the local yokels.

Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

See that guys are running the field,  directly across from the Ford dealer, on sunday as we headed south..

We saw that last March when we rode out to Matheson. Not sure if the landowners approve though.

5 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

4 hours ago, revrnd said:

We saw that last March when we rode out to Matheson. Not sure if the landowners approve though.

We were talking about that area with Kenny the other day and he suggested that landowner changes are likely why we lost access to the fields.  I suspect trespassing will not help get them back :wtf:

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

We were talking about that area with Kenny the other day and he suggested that landowner changes are likely why we lost access to the fields.  I suspect trespassing will not help get them back :wtf:

No kidding!. :banghead:..

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

I think the 3 of us commented on it that day too.

Archived