Interactive Map Update Question??

Diceman

am I right that on Tuesdays and Thursdays is when the maps have to be updated by the clubs?...is it mandated to do so or just the clubs choice?..was talking to a few guys at the gas station( newbies) and they were asking.....they said on  more than one occasion that the weekend came and map showed red on local trails so they trailered to where it showed open...they found out later that trails had been open for a few days but map had not been updated...I  to find that frustrating  at times when you drive by trails that are groomed and you see tons of traffic but since map is red you then trailer but later return to find out system was open for a few days...anyhow, told them I would find out info for them..Cheers

Updates are required Tuesdays and Thursdays but are not limited to those days if a club needs to make a change on other days as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The ITG mandatory updates are on Monday and Thursday.  The districts updates as often as possible in between to ensure that conditions are being reported accurately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks for replies so far...just talked to a guy downtown that said that trails have been opened in our area for 2 days so get riding....thats the problem....if they are truly open but site has not been updated,  then guys assume moving forward that as long as trails are groomed and they see traffic on them they must be open....this is when we get in trouble with guys on closed trails...however I do understand the frustration people have when trails have been open for a day or two but its not updated and there sitting at home waiting and trying to do the right thing.

Edited by Diceman
  • Like 1

The New Hamburg-Baden trails were just opened this morning and I believe just the southern portion to allow riders to get from the New Dundee trails heading west.  The club is still cleaning up ice slabs from the river flooding some parts of the trail. The trail north to Wellesley isn't safe to open yet. Not sure about snow conditions.

I've been on trails that are open. Get to another trail that is marked closed, so I turn around and there is a trail  closed sign on the trail I just used. Confusing sometimes.

this thread may turn ugly quick!!!

Edited by Diceman

IMHO, if there isn't change, it WILL get ugly.

I hear on FB from a club executive or otherwise through the grapevine things will open tomorrow,  I make plans.  I ride, get home, check club website, trails marked closed, ITG says closed, 2 days later, same thing. Have I been riding for 3 days on a closed trail? With dozens of other people, club executive included, perfectly groomed? Trespassing, breaking the law, no insurance, etc. etc? 

I'm at the point where I'll just drive by my local trail head to check for a visual status. I wouldn't have 1/2 the miles I have on this year if I went by the ITG. Tired of meeting frustrated people on the trails too, who sat home, and didn't know the trails were "open".

I'm too old to play outlaw, but in an on/off season, I'm not waiting for a much maligned website to tell me when it's ok to play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't buy the whole BS of not have insurance either.  It's not an OPP closed trail.  It's all off road.  No different than ATV etc.  They are not made to be on road vehicles.

The opening/closing of trails is a club and/or District function. Whatever the issue is that is causing trails not to get opened if they are fit to open should be a question posed to the appropriate person(s). Ask the appropriate district office who makes the decision and then talk to that person. 

I don't believe these are  ITG software issues at least not with our club. Our trail coordinator asked the appropriate paid district person by email late Wednesday for our trails to be marked Limited as of yesterday. That person did mark them open yesterday but according to my computer that did not happen until very late in the day. Not sure if the person was real busy and didn't get to doing it until late in the day or if there was other special circumstances but if its a busy thing, that is wrong in my books. Riders lost a most of a day of riding our trails. ITG changes should be the highest priority especially in a year when we haven't been able to be open until now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The opening/closing of trails is a club and/or District function. Whatever the issue is that is causing trails not to get opened if they are fit to open should be a question posed to the appropriate person(s). Ask the appropriate district office who makes the decision and then talk to that person. 

I don't believe these are  ITG software issues at least not with our club. Our trail coordinator asked the appropriate paid district person by email late Wednesday for our trails to be marked Limited as of yesterday. That person did mark them open yesterday but according to my computer that did not happen until very late in the day. Not sure if the person was real busy and didn't get to doing it until late in the day or if there was other special circumstances but if its a busy thing, that is wrong in my books. Riders lost a most of a day of riding our trails. ITG changes should be the highest priority especially in a year when we haven't been able to be open until now.

I'm going to suggest that if you want an update made as promptly as possible email may not be the most efficient or reliable means of communication. If you are using email perhaps a phone call as well that lets the person know to check their email for the update, particularly when the email is sent on a day that the district person may not be expecting an update via email. I know in business I didn't have the luxury of seeing and reading every email as soon as it arrived in my inbox.

As you indicated you would have been updating the status to be reflected Thursday. Since Thursday is the day for all clubs to update the trail status perhaps the person doing the updates for the district was doing all the clubs in the district at one time rather than get one email, login to the ITG make the changes for that club and logout then 15 minutes later get another update login again and repeat. For District 7 that would mean logging into the system perhaps 11 times throughout the day rather than just once.

Speaking of updates.  I had a route layed out on the map.  Then it disappeared and I had to refresh the screen and it was grey where I wanted to go.  Obviously the club is updating but what a piss off.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

I'm going to suggest that if you want an update made as promptly as possible email may not be the most efficient or reliable means of communication. If you are using email perhaps a phone call as well that lets the person know to check their email for the update, particularly when the email is sent on a day that the district person may not be expecting an update via email. I know in business I didn't have the luxury of seeing and reading every email as soon as it arrived in my inbox.

As you indicated you would have been updating the status to be reflected Thursday. Since Thursday is the day for all clubs to update the trail status perhaps the person doing the updates for the district was doing all the clubs in the district at one time rather than get one email, login to the ITG make the changes for that club and logout then 15 minutes later get another update login again and repeat. For District 7 that would mean logging into the system perhaps 11 times throughout the day rather than just once.

02, if the person at the district level is getting paid to do a job which includes the ITG updates then I expect they should be checking their email numerous times everyday. There were very few clubs (less than 5 is my guess) that changed status in our district yesterday per the ITG when I checked at 8PM last evening.  The clubs  in our district have been instructed to do changes via email so your phone call idea doesn't hold water in this case. 

IMHO email is the correct way to request updates as it is a written record and should not leave anything to the imagination or to be forgotten. Phone requests for ITG changes are a recipe for disaster. 

26 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

02, if the person at the district level is getting paid to do a job which includes the ITG updates then I expect they should be checking their email numerous times everyday. There were very few clubs (less than 5 is my guess) that changed status in our district yesterday per the ITG when I checked at 8PM last evening.  The clubs  in our district have been instructed to do changes via email so your phone call idea doesn't hold water in this case. 

IMHO email is the correct way to request updates as it is a written record and should not leave anything to the imagination or to be forgotten. Phone requests for ITG changes are a recipe for disaster. 

I fully understand the email aspect and agree as the means of communication for updates. As you said it provides an auditable record. The phone call aspect was to alert the person to the fact an email had just been sent with updates and to please look for it then act if it is something you would like updated right away.

As for 5 clubs changing status... the person wouldn't know that there were only 5 clubs with changes until all the clubs report in that day to indicated EITHER no change OR here are our changes.

It isn't really an efficient operation of an office to at random times throughout the day, on the scheduled day for updates, where you expect all clubs to report in to do them one at a time scattered throughout the day rather than do them all at one time.

If there were changes being made on i.e. a Friday, outside of the mandated days it would make sense to do them as they come in on an ad hoc basis. For those the phone call to alert the person to a just sent email would likely help.

4 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

I don't buy the whole BS of not have insurance either.  It's not an OPP closed trail.  It's all off road.  No different than ATV etc.  They are not made to be on road vehicles.

I thought snowmobiles are under same classification as cars...thats why you need the yearly plate sticker but on atvs you do not although I see that changing soon....

21 minutes ago, Diceman said:

I thought snowmobiles are under same classification as cars...thats why you need the yearly plate sticker but on atvs you do not although I see that changing soon....

Your personal insurance will cover your snowmobile if running on a closed trail. This has been discussed many times, with adjusters, and brokers both confirming this to be true.

45 minutes ago, zoso said:

Your personal insurance will cover your snowmobile if running on a closed trail. This has been discussed many times, with adjusters, and brokers both confirming this to be true.

you are right my friend..just got off phone with insurance agent and I am still 100% covered even if I am on a closed trail....

what about an unlicensed sled on a public road or off their property even?

12 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I think it should be possible that each district have their own access to the map and update on their own whenever they want. Why leave it to one paid person to find the time to do the updates. The map is most likely a database where there is a value assigned to each section of trail closed, limited, open or unknown. Assign a login id and password to each district's section of the database and make their own changes.

Jerry

13 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

I think it should be possible that each district have their own access to the map and update on their own whenever they want. Why leave it to one paid person to find the time to do the updates. The map is most likely a database where there is a value assigned to each section of trail closed, limited, open or unknown. Assign a login id and password to each district's section of the database and make their own changes.

Jerry

It already is done by the district.