2018 Northern Blastoff

revrnd

10 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Etecs 600's are good. I am not getting any more use then you are at the moment. Have 250 km's so far this winter, 1000 last year and about same previous year. Just did 10,000 km service and dealer told me engine is good for another 10,000 km's. Guess I will find out in 10 or so years. 

You won't have any problem with it sitting looking out the window.  Let us all know with huge fanfare when you get 20,000 MILES on it.

5a79b006264d9_20000mileclub.thumb.jpg.9642de179319ff07de943d56df7bef0c.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

You won't have any problem with it sitting looking out the window.  Let us all know with huge fanfare when you get 20,000 MILES on it.

Ok never done that on a 2 stroke. My highest is 17,000 miles on a 583, skidoo un touched. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, revrnd said:

Shortest one ever. Hundred miles out of Kirkland Lake the sled quits. Get it started and it definitely didnt sound good. Something in the bottom end maybe.

Sledjunk, Irreverent, Mrs Irreverent & Mike, a friend of SJ's have continued to Cochrane.

That's too bad Kris.  would have been nice to meet you.  We ran into Sledjunk, Irreverent and the Mrs at breakfast on Sunday.  Good seeing you all again!  :-)  Hope you guys had a good ride back to Cochrane, we saw you go by at the Clubhouse in Kap.

3 hours ago, Evil said:

That's too bad Kris.  would have been nice to meet you.  We ran into Sledjunk, Irreverent and the Mrs at breakfast on Sunday.  Good seeing you all again!  :-)  Hope you guys had a good ride back to Cochrane, we saw you go by at the Clubhouse in Kap.

.... AHEM ..... 

:lmao:

14 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

.... AHEM ..... 

:lmao:

Saved the best for last Denis!  :-) I wasn't sure what your name was on OC! 

16 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Etecs 600's are good. I am not getting any more use then you are at the moment. Have 250 km's so far this winter, 1000 last year and about same previous year. Just did 10,000 km service and dealer told me engine is good for another 10,000 km's. Guess I will find out in 10 or so years. 

Unless he opened the engine he has no clue what shape it is in. I have to laugh at such a ludicrous statement from a dealer.

6 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

let me know when you get to 60k kms.

1 hour ago, zoso said:

let me know when you get to 60k kms.

That's 37,500 miles.  I might make it my lifetime.  It currently has 23,??? on it now.  That T-Cat is currently driven by my son or people accompanying me.  It's a handful if they get loose with the throttle.  The engine does not have all the original parts inside.  Unfortunately, I bought it used with 1,950 miles on it.  Unknown to me, it already had the hand of the guy from Huntsville in there.  Heads cut, turbo holes drilled in the intake side piston skirts, main jets way oversize and the needle jets drilled, upper case ported, and exhaust ports hogged out..  And it already had a piston skirt broken off and cracked the lower case.  It ran OK when I bought it.  It took me a while to figure out it needed aviation gas to not detonate.  After a complete rebuild of pistons, heads, crank, lower case half, another set of un-drilled TM-38 carbs, it has been pretty reliable.  Runs on 87 octane now.  Last year in Hearst, a torn track let a stud saw through the front heat exchanger.  That's all welded up and it's ready for a trip to Sudsbury.  I love to ride it when the trails are super smooth.

BP

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

That's 37,500 miles.  I might make it my lifetime.  It currently has 23,??? on it now.  That T-Cat is currently driven by my son or people accompanying me.  It's a handful if they get loose with the throttle.  The engine does not have all the original parts inside.  Unfortunately, I bought it used with 1,950 miles on it.  Unknown to me, it already had the hand of the guy from Huntsville in there.  Heads cut, turbo holes drilled in the intake side piston skirts, main jets way oversize and the needle jets drilled, upper case ported, and exhaust ports hogged out..  And it already had a piston skirt broken off and cracked the lower case.  It ran OK when I bought it.  It took me a while to figure out it needed aviation gas to not detonate.  After a complete rebuild of pistons, heads, crank, lower case half, another set of un-drilled TM-38 carbs, it has been pretty reliable.  Runs on 87 octane now.  Last year in Hearst, a torn track let a stud saw through the front heat exchanger.  That's all welded up and it's ready for a trip to Sudsbury.  I love to ride it when the trails are super smooth.

BP

To be fair I have been trail riding this sled for 11 seasons, 8 while I lived on the trail in Sudbury. it has never once left me on the trail. Four strokes are worth the weight. I had a T cat to play with for three seasons, never put a permit on it, just rode lakes, got bored with it and sold it. Very fast and if you even want an adrenaline hit, a lake, a t cat and a thumb are all you will ever need. Putting a guest on your t cat could have a bad outcome, they get to 120mph in a hurry. I just rode into town to fill the sled up so I can ride in the early afternoon during the storm. Trails here listed closed, some grooming done, but rough, this is when I love the twin spar chasis with the heavy front end, no sled is more comfy now, or ever has been than this chasis. I may ride til I am ninety.

7 hours ago, Evil said:

Good seeing you as well!  You ladies must really ride!  You did the Fushimi Loop and still beat us to the Reesor's Crossing Monument??? :lmao:

On 2/1/2018 at 9:31 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We had success with going to the Truck Stop (In Timmins the Esso at west end) and just ask any drivers coming out if they are going past (in your case) Kirkland  and could you grab a ride to McPhersons. For us it was in Hearst and first driver asked gave our guy a ride to the truckstop across from Pinewood Park in N.Bay where our truck was. He left Hearst just before noon and was back in the room in Cochrane by 1AM. 

I got stuck @ Gloria's near Marathon years ago (in the summer) & asked the 3 truckers in the restaurant about a ride back to White River. Unfortunately they were all headed west.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:45 PM, grover_yyz said:

We had a sled die in New Liskard. Took it to a shop and they could do nothing about it as there was a hole in the piston. Shop guy suggested calling CAA and tell them you have a 4x4 truck that needs a tow. A local tow truck guy from Cobalt came out and towed the sled to North Bay. Just have to find a willing tow truck operator who is willing to bend the rules a little. On a side note i have always complained to CAA as to why they don't offer this type of service. If I bring my sled to a accessible location they should pick it up like a motor cycle or bicycle which they currently offer the service for. 

Sorry to hear about your trip. Sounds a little like mine last year. 55km into the trip my main shock spring and another spring broke. Sled was sitting on the ground like a lowrider. Luckily we had a spare sled back at the cottage and a friend to pick me up.

Jerry

I used CAA when my sled was acting wonky (bad voltage regulator) in Wawa. Between the driver & me, we had a story about my truck leaking trans' fluid. I couldn't tell from the Timmins Yellow Pages if any were CAA. I didn't want to have to wait for someone to come from Cochrane, Englehart or points unknown. 

Got back to Timmins around 12:30, bought lunch for 2 construction guys in Mikes (beside the Bon Air) & they helped me load the sled. Back on the road @ 2 & rolled into my friends in North Bay @ 6. I had planned on driving on to Huntsville, but a friend had told me the Tankard was on, so I imagine rooms would've been @ a premium. As it was I had a great visit w/ them since I hadn't seen them since July.

Side story about eating @ Mikes, we had just sat down for lunch around 1 PM & a fellow asked about the distance to Chapleau. Him & another rider were heading that way. We figured that would be a long afternoon. 

They pulled the PTO seal retainer & the seal. PTO bearing was bone dry.

Resolution will follow later, hopefully quick enough to salvage something of this season. Denis, do you have a spare room I could rent for the duration? Maybe I could guide newbies around the L trails?

i was wondering about dry pto bearings. that is another common series 3 issue... isoflex grease, and it's ability to be flung out of the seals, bearings, crank, and then fail. sorry for your luck Kris... maybe take the sled to denis, have him rebuild it, and rent for a few days, while dropping it in hearst... pick the sled up on your summer camping run.  sorry to offer your services without permission denis. :D Ski

11 hours ago, Evil said:

Good to see you, too, Barb...been a long time. 

We knew it was only a matter of time until you guys passed us on the trail, especially since we hadn't left Hearst until after 10, waiting for the morning to warm up even a little....we thought it was your group again at Moonbeam clubhouse when we went by.  We had stopped for lunch in town , since we figured the clubhouse would be busy and potentially have a long wait for food. As it was, lunch still took us an hour, and we had some difficulties with shields icing up after that.  We finally rolled into the Westway in Cochrane around 5ish.

Archived