Abitibi Canyon Loop? Worth it? Opinion?

sledzz

59 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

But they have to haul fuel up from town to base camp. I heard ofsc groomers are used to haul fuel up there too, not sure if that is still true and wether they pay abit for groomer to do this too? 

Halfway was 2.50 a litre for premium too. Only needed 20 litres there between the two sleds. Was only about 140 km's from chapleau fuel stop on highway101. 

A large fuel truck drives up there by road, just like how fuel would be delivered to your farm.  I have seen the truck at the bottom of the hill in 09 waiting to get a run at it.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct.  Basecamp runs off of 2 large diesel generators  (alternately I believe) so they have a fuel supply there on site. Plus the groomer fuels there as well.

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

A trip has not been that cheap for several years.  I'm pretty sure the total cost is closer to $2000.  I hear about it when the master card bill comes.

$2000?    You must be staying in way nicer places than I do.   I can always do a long weekend run to Cochrane or Quebec for under $1000.   

2 hours ago, gobills said:

No they ship fuel in there by truck not on the groomer.  Mike also pays the smooth rock club to do an extra pass on the west side one extra time per week for the season.  He also has a place for the groomer operator to spend the night up there before they head back on the east side.  He is doing a stellar job up there.

Awesome see 3 dollars a litre is easy justified. That isn't bad considering all the hassle to get, store, maintain the fuel equipment too. Sounds like a great Guy. Hope to make that trip next season. 

6 hours ago, scottyr said:

$2000?    You must be staying in way nicer places than I do.   I can always do a long weekend run to Cochrane or Quebec for under $1000.   

It's a waste for a long weekend.  Usually our group drives up on a Sunday and drives back on a Thursday or Friday depending on the loop.  $120 a night is average.  Meals add up.

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

It's a waste for a long weekend.  Usually our group drives up on a Sunday and drives back on a Thursday or Friday depending on the loop.  $120 a night is average.  Meals add up.

It looks like it all ads up as you suggested. Five nights average room $678 incl tax. $250 at least for gas for the sled for the week. I'm going to guess for me from Toronto to Cochrane gas for the truck pulling the trailer $300 or perhaps more return trip. Round figures I'm up to $1250 and haven't had a thing to eat or drink.

Ok , I have a plan. Let’s all stick to that figure of $ 1000 to tell our better halves.  Haha 

Although those of us that the Ms sleds with us can’t get away with that 

1 hour ago, Boy Oh Buoy said:

Ok , I have a plan. Let’s all stick to that figure of $ 1000 to tell our better halves.  Haha 

Although those of us that the Ms sleds with us can’t get away with that 

:D I've tried that kind of tactic and gotten caught. We were on vacation and I was going fishing with a friend. He was looking at my new Loomis rod and Shimano Calcutta reel that I told my wife cost me $100. He comes out with, "so what did that set you back, about $600?"....  which was a bit low.

Now if my wife comes sledding with me that cost goes up. Two sleds to put gas into, two people to feed and there are places I would consider staying at that she never will so a higher cost in accommodation. While I may have a burger for dinner she would also choose the much more expensive menu items as well.

You want to play you have to pay.

Don't forget that she will peruse the credit card bill when it comes.

Also 02, I have an additional 1.5 hrs drive each way than you.  I have, however, engineered my trailer plate location to negate the 407ETR bill for 2 years now.  That is a $40 saving.  Most tilt trailers will have this feature.  I know Triton's do.

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

Don't forget that she will peruse the credit card bill when it comes.

Also 02, I have an additional 1.5 hrs drive each way than you.  I have, however, engineered my trailer plate location to negate the 407ETR bill for 2 years now.  That is a $40 saving.  Most tilt trailers will have this feature.  I know Triton's do.

I rarely use the 407 but one day did when pulling the boat to Pefferlaw at the end of a week day. It seems that the plate on the boat trailer which is below the fender is far enough tucked in that the boat itself obscures the plate from the cameras.

Where is the plate on the sled trailer that it doesn't get picked up?

By default, clam trailers and open bed trailers that tilt have the plate hanging on a cheap bracket behind the left wheel under the bed.  The dealer I bought my Toy Carrier from mounted the plate on the back door behind the lift handle.  After getting many bills, and the Triton buddies getting none, I had a real strong stainless bracket laser cut to mount the plate under the bed in the stock location.  This bracket won't break apart and fall off loosing the plate.  I now enjoy carefree motoring.

13 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

By default, clam trailers and open bed trailers that tilt have the plate hanging on a cheap bracket behind the left wheel under the bed.  The dealer I bought my Toy Carrier from mounted the plate on the back door behind the lift handle.  After getting many bills, and the Triton buddies getting none, I had a real strong stainless bracket laser cut to mount the plate under the bed in the stock location.  This bracket won't break apart and fall off loosing the plate.  I now enjoy carefree motoring.

@apeXMAN needs 1 too.

12 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

For the clamshell I had the cross member of the bed at the very rear was a C channel. The lights and the license plate were recessed into that C channel so they stayed protected.

I have been pulled over three different times by the OPP because my old Hyland trailer had the license plate mounted in behind the left wheel.  Each time the excuse was " I couldn't see your trailer plate";  and then my documentation was cross examined looking for a reason to issue a fine.  After the most recent incident last fall I decided to move the plate to the rear of the trailer where it is clearly visible.  The trailer never goes on the 407.

23 hours ago, 02Sled said:

It looks like it all ads up as you suggested. Five nights average room $678 incl tax. $250 at least for gas for the sled for the week. I'm going to guess for me from Toronto to Cochrane gas for the truck pulling the trailer $300 or perhaps more return trip. Round figures I'm up to $1250 and haven't had a thing to eat or drink.

I used just over 400 L of fuel going to Timmins and back. Average was 26 L per hundred km's. Left at 4 was there by 3. 800 km's one way for me. Time for a new truck. Cheaper to do one longer trip then two short ones. 

16 hours ago, snowowl said:

I have been pulled over three different times by the OPP because my old Hyland trailer had the license plate mounted in behind the left wheel.  Each time the excuse was " I couldn't see your trailer plate";  and then my documentation was cross examined looking for a reason to issue a fine.  After the most recent incident last fall I decided to move the plate to the rear of the trailer where it is clearly visible.  The trailer never goes on the 407.

I take the 407 every time I go. I rarely get a ticket in mail, usually just a bill for one way. I think trailer bounces enough and or the aluminium reflects enough at night they can't get plate. Who knows. Can save an hour and use abit less fuel too, so I don't mind paying. I can usually get to Barrie in two hours using it coming from Kitchener. 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Seems strange that the OPP would be a problem when a Hyland trailer was made in Bolton to meet Canadian vehicle laws.  I would point that out and show the officer the factory plate light was put in that location.  My buddy has one of those trailers with the plate there too.

From what I have been able to read on the MTO sources the law states the plate must be clearly visible. One would logically assume that would mean clearly visible to anyone following the trailer in any vehicle, car, pickup etc. I haven't been able to find anything that says the plate must be clearly visible from 30 ft in the air.

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Seems strange that the OPP would be a problem when a Hyland trailer was made in Bolton to meet Canadian vehicle laws.  I would point that out and show the officer the factory plate light was put in that location.  My buddy has one of those trailers with the plate there too.

I actually pointed that out to each of the 3 officers - it didn't work with the first two.  The third guy was quite reasonable and let me go with no fine but he did suggest I move the license plate to keep from getting pulled over.  He said they are very suspicious of plate issues on trailers due to the high amount of theft.  

22 minutes ago, snowowl said:

I actually pointed that out to each of the 3 officers - it didn't work with the first two.  The third guy was quite reasonable and let me go with no fine but he did suggest I move the license plate to keep from getting pulled over.  He said they are very suspicious of plate issues on trailers due to the high amount of theft.  

I have a Triton 10' x 101" and it came with the plate/light behind the left wheel. The rear frame of the trailer isn't as deep as needed for the license plate to fit on it without either bending or cutting the bottom portion of the plate to fit on the frame. Then I would have to move the license plate light and cut into a sealed wiring loom which has never to date caused any lighting issues.

So the question is, what is legal, the plate where it is factory located or  the plate relocated and butchered ?

Snoowl, did you tilt the trailer for the officers to show them why it is located where it is? Not that doing this would satisfy these government money collectors but to at least give them an understanding.

To the best of my knowledge you can't cut or modify the plate to fit a space you want it in.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I have a Triton 10' x 101" and it came with the plate/light behind the left wheel. The rear frame of the trailer isn't as deep as needed for the license plate to fit on it without either bending or cutting the bottom portion of the plate to fit on the frame. Then I would have to move the license plate light and cut into a sealed wiring loom which has never to date caused any lighting issues.

So the question is, what is legal, the plate where it is factory located or  the plate relocated and butchered ?

Snoowl, did you tilt the trailer for the officers to show them why it is located where it is? Not that doing this would satisfy these government money collectors but to at least give them an understanding.

I didn't think to tilt the trailer.  Just to be clear I was never fined for not having the plate visible.  
The one time I was fined it was a documentation problem that were really my fault.  But, if I wasn't pulled over for the license plate location problem I would have continued on my merry way, with the $80 or so dollars still in my wallet.  Once they pull you over, most cops really work at finding a reason to issue a fine.

13 minutes ago, snowowl said:

I didn't think to tilt the trailer.  Just to be clear I was never fined for not having the plate visible.  
The one time I was fined it was a documentation problem that were really my fault.  But, if I wasn't pulled over for the license plate location problem I would have continued on my merry way, with the $80 or so dollars still in my wallet.  Once they pull you over, most cops really work at finding a reason to issue a fine.

All depends on cop and usually if you are really nice and cooperate with them, no fine is issued. There are some super young  wannabe rockstar type cops that will find something to ticket you with though. 

29 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

To the best of my knowledge you can't cut or modify the plate to fit a space you want it in.

My trailer had the plate mounted behind the left wheel under the deck. Lost the plate once that was enough for me. Wouldn't fit in C channel of deck without cutting up the plate. Mounted it to the clam shell about half way up. Only issue now is its not lite. 

23 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

All depends on cop and usually if you are really nice and cooperate with them, no fine is issued. There are some super young  wannabe rockstar type cops that will find something to ticket you with though. 

I have rarely been stopped and typically treat the cop with respect and receive it back. One time on the 400 I was stopped. Typical question, "do you know why I stopped you?" "To be honest know I don't. I wasn't speeding." "Your right brake light isn't working. Can  I see your license, ownership and insurance please?" "Sure" He looks at the dates and nothing is expired. "Thanks.... Be sure to get that light fixed as soon as you can. Now that you know watch out for other vehicles around you and have a nice day"

Archived