Snowmobile Accident on D, in Bracebridge on the weekend.

Domino

Very sad.  Jake is going to live, but this has changed his life and will affect many good people.

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/7054584-bracebridge-man-seriously-injured-in-snowmobile-accident/

https://www.gofundme.com/jakethomasmuskoka

Was the accident on a closed /unopened trail as reported in the article ?

especially this time of year and new trails/conditions - don't over ride your ability / safe travelling speed (most of us have been guilty of this in the past I'm sure).

That's too bad, if it was on a closed trail as stated then hopefully he learned his lesson. I don't like hearing about people getting hurt or killed...but maybe next time he'll wait until the trail is open..if that was the case. I hope he's ok and recovers quick..

That's so sad to hear... Baylaker did you read the bottom link Domino posted ? 

Jake has a very long battle in front of him... 

I wish Jake all the best... 

Just read it, I guess he won't be sledding anymore. Like I said, I don't like hearing about things like this but they can be prevented. I wish him nothing but the best and a healthy recovery. But, from this I also hope he learns a valuable lesson. And we can all learn from this as well.

If you go to the Go Fund me page there is a description of his injuries. Very sad and life altering. Paralysis from waist down, 7 busted ribs and more. Long Long road to recover.

We all have made mistakes in our life. Lets just pray for strength for him , his four kids and his wife. Things can change in the blink of an eye.

http://www.mymuskokanow.com/46595/family-friends-reach-muskoka-help-local-businessman-left-paralyzed/

Local businessman is left paralyzed

SHARE ON:
Photo Credit: Submitted
Photo Credit: Submitted
Residents in Muskoka are reaching out to help a local businessman who is facing some new challenges due to a recent snowmobile collision.

On January 7th, owner of Applause Toy Store Jake Thomas was severely injured when he was thrown from his snowmobile while on the trails in Bracebridge.

According to a family friend, Thomas broke numerous ribs, dislocated his hip and injured his spine, which has left him paralyzed from the waist down.

Due to the nature of this injury, friends of the family have rolled out a GoFundMe Campaign in order to help the Thomas family with the numerous expenses they are facing moving forward.

Organizers of the campaign say Jake has always been there to help others out when they needed it and they are hoping residents in Muskoka can do the same now.

If you’d like to donate to this campaign, you can find more information here.

1 hour ago, Team2UP said:

If you go to the Go Fund me page there is a description of his injuries. Very sad and life altering. Paralysis from waist down, 7 busted ribs and more. Long Long road to recover.

We all have made mistakes in our life. Lets just pray for strength for him , his four kids and his wife. Things can change in the blink of an eye.

This is so true.

Reading these stories makes you realize how fast things can change in life.....and with a family, it really hits home a lot harder!

He could have been on an open trail and the same thing could happen to him or any of us due a poor judgement or a circumstance that was beyond him/us....to focus on the trail being closed rather than what a family will need to go through now, is truly unfortunate.

Wish him & his family all the best. 

God bless him, here is website to help to Jake Thomas

https://ca.gofundme.com/jakethomasmuskoka

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/7064975-ian-thomas-s-son-injured-in-snowmobile-accident/

Hamilton Spectator

Friends and family are rallying around the son of Dundas singer-songwriter Ian Thomas, who has lost the use of his legs following a snowmobile accident near his home in Bracebridge.

Jake Thomas, a 44-year-old father of four and longtime resident of Bracebridge, severed his spinal cord in the accident Jan. 7 and was in intensive care Friday in Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto. The Hamilton native's injuries also include a dislocated hip and seven broken ribs.

"My son Jake is one of the bravest men I know," said Ian Thomas who has spent much of the past week by his son's side with family at the hospital. "He is already focused on the long road ahead and everything he'll need to do to get back to his wife and four beautiful children."

Jake — a filmmaker, former professional water skier and owner of three toy stores in Muskoka with his wife, Jenny — is a longtime Bracebridge resident involved in many community sports programs.

Friends have started a crowd-funding campaign on gofundme.com to assist his recovery.

"The monies raised will be used to help retrofit the family home and vehicles, to purchase the necessary mobility devices, and allow Jake to have as much comfort as possible in his day-to-day living," the campaign website says.

The target fundraising goal is $500,000. By noon Friday, the campaign had raised almost $85,000.

"It seems Jake is like George Bailey in 'It's a Wonderful Life,'" Ian Thomas said in a Facebook post. "There are so many folks in town who love him for the good and generous man that he is. They say it takes a village. Jake picked a wonderful one to live in, full of wonderful caring people and I'm posting this link in support of their heartfelt efforts."

grockingham@thespec.com

905-526-3331 | @RockatTheSpec

Archived